Technophobe needs help.

HerlockSholmes

8 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Doyle’s father was a good artist but the illustrations that he did for this version of A Study In Scarlet we’re very poor.

Maybe he shared his son's opinion that the story was nothing but a silly pot-boiler, so not worth really fussing over 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Maybe he shared his son's opinion that the story was nothing but a silly pot-boiler, so not worth really fussing over 

Either that or he was as mad as a box of frogs👍

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Either that or he was as mad as a box of frogs👍

I'm not familiar with this phrase and had to be on the road before having a chance to google it. And it made me giggling thinking of a literal box full of mad frogs. And I think googling it doesn't explain it better than what I have in mind!! :lol5:

Can't decide what I like better, frogs or sack of ferrets.

• Like 1

Are British frogs madder than the American kind?  Maybe yours are mad in the British sense (i.e., crazy) and ours are mad in the American sense (i.e., angry).  In either case, I never noticed.  Just goes to show how observant I am!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I'm not familiar with this phrase and had to be on the road before having a chance to google it. And it made me giggling thinking of a literal box full of mad frogs. And I think googling it doesn't explain it better than what I have in mind!! :lol5:

Can't decide what I like better, frogs or sack of ferrets.

I’m unsure where the phrase comes from VBS? I recall hearing it when I was a child though.

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Are British frogs madder than the American kind?  Maybe yours are mad in the British sense (i.e., crazy) and ours are mad in the American sense (i.e., angry).  In either case, I never noticed.  Just goes to show how observant I am!

My knowledge of frogs is next to non existent I’m afraid. We have a pond in the garden but I’ve never seen a frog though.

Ok, I honestly do hate everything to do with computers!!!

As I intended to post a few pictures in my Herlock’s London Adventure thread I thought that I’d just have a bit of a practice getting a picture from my phone to my tablet to IMGBB and on to here. Simple I thought. No chance!

I took a photograph using my phone of my new Sherlock Holmes glasses case - no problem.

I uploaded it onto Dropbox - no problem.

It appeared on my tablet in Dropbox - no problem.

I logged into IMGBB and clicked on upload. The selections came up and I selected Dropbox, which came up - no problem.

Then I touched on the image that I wanted to upload onto IMGBB - PROBLEM!!

The screen went straight to a white screen with the Google name at the bottom and the logo in the middle! Totally immovable. To get rid of it I had to ‘power off’ and then back on at which point, after around a seconds gap, it returned me to the IMGBB page. Of course the image hadn’t been uploaded!!

Why does nothing work for me?

Any ideas?

Id be grateful as ever👍

• Sad 1

It may have been what's called a "glitch," which is tech-talk for "I have no idea -- try again and see if it works."  If you get the same thing again, try powering down your device (i.e., turn it completely off) and then back up again.  If you still get the same thing, then it's time to call in the IT department (AKA anyone on the forum with experience in the software you mentioned and/or any 12-15-year-old kids you may know).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maybe Eurus got involved possibly by having 1 of her many henchmen mess up the system. Or even more sinister (official secrets act for queen and country and all), Mycroft got involved and messed up the works.

Tried again tonight after powering off.

Exactly the same thing happening. Waste of time!

Mods, can you delete the Herlock’s London Adventure thread please.

Thanks👍

Herlock, I have no experience at all with either the equipment or the software that you're using, so my suggestion was just the usual basic Stuff to Try First.  There may be people here who actually know what they're talking about, and could get you up and running.  Even if not, couldn't you post links, as you did with that painting?

On 9/18/2018 at 5:50 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

If you still get the same thing, then it's time to call in the IT department (AKA anyone on the forum with experience in the software you mentioned and/or any 12-15-year-old kids you may know).

Herlock, psst, between you and me, It's not that I'm dissing our IT department, but the last advice I got here was asking me to don a forum compliance nose (without guideline, template and reference given), and I also have to make it with donated used rubber band, by melting them and shaping it myself (without user manual, mold, color scheme and schematic drawing). Just saying.

Anyway, I almost always have problem with Imgur, most time I can't see the image or use it as host. Once in the blue-turquoise-smaragdine moon it works perfectly fine for me but you know how often that happens.

So I'm using postimage.    https://postimages.org/

And it hasn't been giving me trouble except one time when it changed the link to.org. This can upload picture directly from your drive (not sure about dropbox) or phone and you can also set the display size and expiration date.

Don't delete that thread just yet!

If all fails, come and join me, bring your own rubber bands and some extra for me, the rubber band they provide me barely even cover the tip of my nose. It tastes awful to. Yuck.

• Like 2

Hey, those were top quality rubber bands! I dredged them out of the back of my drawer just for you! Been saving them for the right occasion for years.

Herlock, have you tried contacting IMGBB and see if they have an answer? I know it might be a long shot, but if it's a familiar problem you might get a usuable answer.

Or try VBS's suggestion. I have more rubber bands. :P 

• Sad 1

On 9/17/2018 at 10:33 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

Ok, I honestly do hate everything to do with computers!!!

As I intended to post a few pictures in my Herlock’s London Adventure thread I thought that I’d just have a bit of a practice getting a picture from my phone to my tablet to IMGBB and on to here. Simple I thought. No chance!

I took a photograph using my phone of my new Sherlock Holmes glasses case - no problem.

I uploaded it onto Dropbox - no problem.

It appeared on my tablet in Dropbox - no problem.

I logged into IMGBB and clicked on upload. The selections came up and I selected Dropbox, which came up - no problem.

Then I touched on the image that I wanted to upload onto IMGBB - PROBLEM!!

The screen went straight to a white screen with the Google name at the bottom and the logo in the middle! Totally immovable. To get rid of it I had to ‘power off’ and then back on at which point, after around a seconds gap, it returned me to the IMGBB page. Of course the image hadn’t been uploaded!!

Why does nothing work for me?

Any ideas?

Id be grateful as ever👍

I have tested the exact procedure as described in your post with my own iPad, Dropbox, and imgbb accounts and cannot replicate the issue you are having. I would suggest that the most likely source of problem lies in the communication between Dropbox and IMGBB (over the Internet)

Perhaps the support people for these services might be better placed to advise?

• Thanks 4