Just a question?

HerlockSholmes

For such an excellent forum, with excellent moderators, I wonder why so few people post on here? I come from 2 Jack the Ripper forums. I posted last night and in 3 hours there were 51 posts on the thread. Sometimes I post on here and get no reply or maybe one. I'm not blaming anyone. I just wonder why this is the case on such an excellent forum

Good question, difficult answer. The place has certainly been busier in the past. I think in part it's due to the series having ended, at least for now. There's no big cliffhanger to discuss, no "how did he DO that?!?" to mull over.

Still plenty of food for thought and conversation if you ask me. So post away!

• Like 1

Agreed. Some of our most frequent posters have slowly dwindled away. I have to include myself in that, I'm afraid ... just don't have the time I used to have. But yeah ... once the, er, "excitement" surrounding S4 quieted down, so did the forum. :( And even then it wasn't quite the frenzy I remember from Series 3, people seemed less willing to discuss the show.

As for non-BBC Sherlock, I'm afraid that's never been the most active part of the forum, at least in my experience. I've enjoyed your posts, though, Herlock! For myself, I mostly don't have time to respond, or the knowledge base to respond intelligently. But I've read them all!

• Like 1

For such an excellent forum, with excellent moderators, I wonder why so few people post on here? I come from 2 Jack the Ripper forums. I posted last night and in 3 hours there were 51 posts on the thread. Sometimes I post on here and get no reply or maybe one. I'm not blaming anyone. I just wonder why this is the case on such an excellent forum

• Like 3

Hi all,

Yeah Jack the Ripper forums can be a bit 'no prisoners.' This is an excellent forum as I've said and who knows, in a month or two it could be really busy, who knows.

I was only wondering if I'd bored everyone to death with my Holmes nerdiness

Nope. Seems to me like you fit right in.

'Course that may simply mean we're *all* a bunch of boring nerds!

Yeah, I can't believe you just joined, you seem like part of the gang already. Of course, the downside of that is, it means you must be batsh*t crazy.... :p

This forum has been in existence for about 2,028 days.  It currently has 2,441 members and 130,256 posts (not counting this one).  That averages out to something over one new member per day and a little over 64 posts per day.  In the past 24 hours, there have been just 29 posts, so we're clearly in a slight lull -- but that's not surprising, since Sherlock hasn't jumped off of any buildings lately.  And besides, it's a weekend.  Things generally perk up a bit by Tuesday.

• Like 1

And somehow we became like a ship-free zone, which still seems to be a big thing "out there".

You mean that places where people talk about their "ships" more are busier? Makes sense I guess, that's kind of an inexhaustible topic...

I don't think anyone around here minds discussing ships though, do you? I believe we actually have quite a few older threads on that topic. I know that some members at least have a preferred pairing and I would hate for anybody to feel unwelcome because of that.

I do believe you're right in that this place is pretty much a "ship neutral" zone while from what I have seen elsewhere, other fan spaces do seem more or less dedicated to one particular relationship, be it canon or not.

I actually love analyzing the various relationships on the show because I think they are quite interesting. But I don't really ship anybody... I do feel a high level of emotional investment in John and Sherlock and how they relate to each other and I am always willing to argue my point that it's a love story of sorts but I don't think it's meant to be about sex. I just like it the way it stands right now.

So - I guess what I mean to say is, do please indulge in any fan fantasy you all like, share it if you want, just please continue to respect other people's perspective. So far, I think everybody has done a great job there. Maybe that makes the place quiet but hey, at least it's peaceful!

• Like 2

I see what you both mean. Maybe we're sort of a "ship optional" zone? Tobe's right, a lot of our members are ardent shippers of one pairing or another. But nobody tries to impose their ship on others. We seem to follow Mrs. Hudson's rule -- "live and let live."

• Like 1

I feel the same when I first joined but then I actually kind of like it quiet-er.

Like Arcadia said, although I know less than her, probably almost next to nothing about Sherlock outside BBC, so I don't have much to contribute. But from couple of stories I had read, I enjoyed it more than I thought and could see a lot of potential interesting discussions, I think there are still things to discuss about BBC's Sherlock as well, too bad I hardly have time to keep up with even the pace of this forum.

P.S. That is cool statistic Carol.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am a brand-new member and I noticed right away that many of the thread topics were started back circa 2012 and had not had any recent posts.  It seems I came here too late for the heyday.  :huh:  Crummy timing--story of my life.

Until recently (Oct. 2nd, to be precise) my go-to forum was the Movie Lounge on the Amazon Customer Discussion forums.  We had a very lively British Detectives lounge there and I exercised my Sherlock fangirlness with a few like-minded people there.  It's fair to say that my dearest cybercorrespondent who I consider a real friend despite never having met  her in 'Real World' bonded over BBC Sherlock initially.  Sherlock brought us together.

And lots and lots of Sherlock fandom videos on YouTube. 

In the wake of Season 4 and those developments, and just the passage of time . . Bendi is not the fresh-faced New Face that I assumed was like, 26 years old in 2010 when he was actually 34 . .and my face is no fresher, either--those heady days when "Sherlock" was a heady new discovery and The Best Thing I'd Ever Seen in Television seem like a distant memory.  I feel so jaded now, with no prospect of a new Sherlock season to look forward to.  I really believe that the show is over, though if Mssrs. Cumberbatch and Freeman could be coaxed back into harness to do a holiday one-off episode (perhaps a revisit to Dartmoor, this time in Victorian guise?), that'd be something.

With the end of the show, I was forced to look beyond it and acquaint myself better with the Original.  I blew through the entire Canon in a few months and that has been a springboard into all sorts of apocryphal Adventures from Doctor Watson's Tin Dispatch Box, some delightful, some mystifying . .some plainly bogus . . but I've discovered that Sherlock Lives indeed--not on the BBC but in reams and reams of stories created by people devoted to keeping him and his Boswell alive.

To be honest, the BBC show disappointed me sorely in the end . . but there is comfort out here for the brokenhearted and disillusioned BBC Sherlock fan, and you don't have to look for it--it's literally everywhere.  Sherlock Holmes is more prolific now, at 163 years of age, than he's ever, ever been.  Sir Arthur hardly kept him busy at all compared to what he gets up to these days.

I hope to find some other folks who likewise want to Go Beyond the BBC show.  Truly, there is so very Much More to Sherlock.  The show was a bit of delightful, homage-worthy fun . . .until it wasn't.  We have to search for deeper reasons to keep this forum going.

So Herlie . . there's a very long answer to your brief question. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Fwiw, feel free to "resurrect" any of the old topics - we'd love a fresh new perspective on old questions, especially coming from someone so broadly versed in canon such as you. Like you, we are in dire lack of new Sherlock episodes to discuss (and don't even get me started on the topic of *good* new Sherlock episodes :P) so some of the discussions have tapered off. But we'll be happy to give them another round. :)

• Like 2

Hello, Mistress Caya,

I see you are based in Vienna.  Are you Austrian?  I am interested to hear how the BBC Sherlock phenomenon played out in other countries besides the two biggest English-speaking markets.  Sherlock Holmes is a truly international man, so I know the show was a monster hit worldwide and reignited book sales all over the globe of the original Conan Doyle casebook.  I work in a public library and am amazed at how vital the Sherlock Business is . . . every month sees dozens of new releases centered around the Great Detective in some form--novels, short story anthologies, graphic novels, TV shows, film, audiobooks, adult coloring books, children's books . . .it's staggering.  Not bad for an old guy of 163 years!  The Sherlock boom is not a cottage industry . . .it's a massive Mind Palace.

When BBC Sherlock began, I was confident that it'd run for 10 years at least, given the amount of potential material they had for inspiration, but no one could have predicted, least of all themselves, how super-nova our actors would become, particularly Benedict.  We also underestimated Steven Moffatt's penchant for growing bored relatively quickly and also underestimated his mystifying attachment to writing for 'Doctor Who'--a show whose appeal eludes me completely.  There's a place for both in the universe, but to me Doctor Who has so much less *content* or heft than Sherlock.  Who is a intergalactic visual romp for kids or kids at heart, but Sherlock has meat on it.  Or used to.

My Sherlockian guide David Marcum despises BBC Sherlock, which is why you will never, ever see him darkening these cyber-doors.  There are few people alive who are more knowledgeable about Conan Doyle's Holmes than he--really, it's been a lifelong passion and study for him of more than 40 years, ever since he was a kid.  He does not and will not entertain any versions of Sherlock Holmes which place him out of his 'proper' sphere in time and place.  Therefore, there can be no contemporary Sherlocks, no female ones, no exploits of SH going to Mars and suchlike.  I respect his commitment to continuity and 'realism' but his approach does leave out a lot of the fun sometimes.  For me Sherlock Holmes, like St. Nicholas, is a beneficent Eternal Spirit who is not required to be bound by the conventions of space and time the way we mere mortals are.  He can merrily transcend such arbitrary boundaries and be his glorious self wherever he, and we, chooses to plunk him down.

That said, I don't envision Sherlock Holmes as a woman, (lesbian or no), a spirit animal, an intergalactic being, a non-binary or whatever else is non-human, non-male.  As long as that condition is met, SH does not have to stay trapped in the Victorian age as far as I'm concerned.  However, whatever potential BBC Sherlock had in its first two seasons as a 'true' rendition of a modern Sherlock Holmes, Mofftiss pretty well blew up in their last two years.  To my eternal disappointment. 

I hope we can keep this forum going and talk about more substantial contributions to the ongoing Joy of Holmes, for sure.

• Like 1

Sherlock Holmes on Mars? :blink:

I am indeed Austrian, and I'm sorry to say that Sherlock Holmes, including but not limited to the BBC incarnation, is more of a niche interest here. It seems thus in many countries ... but then again, we had and have people from many countries on this board, so even if the international appeal is limited, it's truly global.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Holmes and/or Watson as a woman much if the series stays true to the Holmesian spirit otherwise - I must admit I never watched Elementary so I can't say, but Lie To Me comes to mind as an example of a rather well-done female Watson (can't think of any female Holmeses right now). Body, after all, is only transport, he'd say. ^_^

• Like 3

When BBC Sherlock began, I was confident that it'd run for 10 years at least, given the amount of potential material they had for inspiration, but no one could have predicted, least of all themselves, how super-nova our actors would become, particularly Benedict.  We also underestimated Steven Moffatt's penchant for growing bored relatively quickly and also underestimated his mystifying attachment to writing for 'Doctor Who'--a show whose appeal eludes me completely.  There's a place for both in the universe, but to me Doctor Who has so much less *content* or heft than Sherlock.  Who is a intergalactic visual romp for kids or kids at heart, but Sherlock has meat on it.  Or used to.

There's some indication (from things that they themselves have been quoted as saying) that Moftiss were simply getting All That out of their system in Series 3 and 4, and (having done their worst) are now ready to settle down and do a proper 21st Century middle-aged Holmes and Watson.  I plan to cling to that possibility for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Hikari!

Do feel free to revive any older thread you like! I for one don't think I will ever tire of talking about Sherlock, being one of the few (?) people who are still in love with the BBC version. It's not as if I didn't find any fault with series 4, but I enjoyed it, I don't regret buying the DVD and my affection for this Sherlock has moved past the crush stage to that calm but enduring attachment to old friends.

If you're more interested in talking about the original stories, check out the "Casebooks" section of the forum. If you're looking for conversations about other adaptations, there are several threads on those as well.

• Like 2

Me too, Toby. Yeah, I've been critical of S4, but it's still more appealing to me than 99% of the other stuff out there. Although I too tend to have enduring attachments, just the way I'm built. I think "Lost" is the only show I swooned over and then ended up turning my back on it completely. Well, not completely.... :smile:

Sherlock is actually the first TV series that didn't disappoint me before it was over. Well, the second if you count BBC's The Office, but that's comedy, I love it but not the way I love Sherlock.

Caya, I was wondering if you had ever read Nicholas Meyer’s ‘The Severn Percent Solution?’ Or seen the movie? In case you hadn’t it centres around Holmes’ having a cocaine addiction. Watson and Mycroft combine to get him to Vienna to see Sigmund Freud who they believe might be able to help him. To do this they trick Holmes into thinking that Professor Moriarty has also left for Vienna.

Holmes is played by Nicol Williamson (pretty well in my opinion) Watson is played by Robert Duvall (not bad but he did do an exaggerated English accent) Mycroft is played by Charles Grey ( he was also Mycroft to Brett, probably the only actor to play Mycroft to two different Holmes? The best Mycroft in my opinion) Alan Arkin plays Freud and Moriarty is played by Sir Lawrence Olivier. So it’s a quality cast.

I’m pretty sure (though I could be wrong) that some scenes were actually filmed in Vienna. It’s definately worth a read or a view (or both.) My apologies if you already have

• Like 1

I read both Solution and Canary Trainer long before BBC's Sherlock aired, thanks to a Trekker friend of mine who loaned them to me, but I never knew that there was a movie, let alone one featuring Charles Gray (that voice :wub:)! So thank you very much for letting me know - now let's see if I can get my hands on it and I'll report back to you re: the scenes in Vienna. Generally, Prague often stands in for Vienna in movies, and Vienna for historical Paris, not that I ever understood the reasoning behind that. :wacko:

I read both Solution and Canary Trainer long before BBC's Sherlock aired, thanks to a Trekker friend of mine who loaned them to me, but I never knew that there was a movie, let alone one featuring Charles Gray (that voice :wub:)! So thank you very much for letting me know - now let's see if I can get my hands on it and I'll report back to you re: the scenes in Vienna. Generally, Prague often stands in for Vienna in movies, and Vienna for historical Paris, not that I ever understood the reasoning behind that. :wacko:

Guten Tag, Mistress Caya.

I hope you won't take offense if I compliment you on the flawlessness of your English.  I had to inquire if you were, in fact, Austrian because there is no evidence at all in your writing of what Sherlock Holmes referred to as the German discourteousness to verbs (SCAN).  I am interested in other people's facility in other languages.  I taught English to Japanese speakers for several years . . but despite studying, let's see . . four foreign languages . .five, if a few go-rounds with "Learn French in Your Car' counts as 'formal' . . I cannot claim fluency in any.  I went to Japan at 25 only knowing the most basic greetings and without even the ability to feed myself, so I got a real immersion course tout suite.  I got by for 5 years but let's just say the UN will never call upon my linguistic services.

The first foreign language in my brain sandwich was German.  I spent three years in high school studying the language of my ancestors, but I wouldn't claim to be able to speak much of it, not then, and certainly even less now. 

Anyway, your writing is outstanding.  In fact you could teach English to Americans and probably should.  The state of our public education is a sorry mess.

• Like 1

:blush:  Let me hand this compliment right back to Carol, Tobe and Fox, who have been outstandingly patient with my language gaffes and keep helping me improve. Also, the only Mistress here is Irene Adler. :whip:

So you have German ancestors? Do you know from which area? Either way, my hat's off to you, German is a tough language to learn (but then again so is Japanese from what I've gathered) and few people attempt that feat willingly. As for not treating verbs with the proper respect, I think that impression might stem from our tendency to smash nouns together till the infamous Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän results from it, bypassing verbs in the process. Still, I think the Welsh got us beat there. :smile:

• Like 1