A Collector’s Lot

Yup. It even has The Jackson Michigan Zouave Drill Team. In reverse. :D 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Pre-print? Me not know that term.

We watch The Court Jester every year at Christmas. I don't know why; it's not Christmassy. But my brother and I think it's the funniest thing ever filmed. :D 

My dad was always a Danny Kaye fan but I don’t recall ever seeing the movie. I’ve just checked on YouTube but it’s not available there. I’ll keep my eye open for a cheap copy.

A pre-print is basically a copy. It’s usually when someone has a genuine signed photograph and then sells copies at a reduced price. For eg. you can get Rathbone pre-prints for day £5. But a real one is 40 times that.

Odd term, since what you describe just sounds like an everyday copy to me. Learn something new all the time!

I think the reason it's called a preprint instead of a copy is that it's not a copy of just the autograph, it appears to be an autographed photo.  But only one photo was actually autographed; then it was mass-reproduced, so that in the copies, the "autograph" is actually part of the photo.

So, "pre-printed" refers to the autograph (which was previously written by the person who signed it) rather than to the print itself, I guess? Still find it an odd term, but at least now I understand what it means.

... or is too young/naive to care that it's not a "real" autograph.  I think I developed an appreciation for that distinction somewhere in my teens.  (Not that I've ever been an autograph collector.)

It's kinda interesting just seeing what a person's handwriting looks like, and a pre-print serves just about as well for that.

• 2 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sheerluck said:

In case you were unaware, the Royal Mint is issuing a new 50p coin for Sherlock Holmes anniversary.

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/2019-annual-sets/sherlock-holmes

I think it should have been a pound coin, or better still a tenner.

The 50p coin with Holmes on it looks way cool.

Unfortunately, it seems one must buy the entire 2019 Collection at 55 pounds in order to own the Sherlock coin . . it's not sold separately.

I'm with you about the denomination, though . . is 50p an insult to the Great Detective?  Certainly a pound coin . . (is that the same thing as a 'sovereign'?--seeing as SH was so fond of passing those out to the Irregulars) would have been more fitting.  It's not like anybody is going to be *spending* these--quel horreur!--so might as well give SH a really good one.

Like Pippi Longstocking, SH appears to have had an endless chest of valuable coins for passing out to street urchins because he never seemed short of gratuities or cab fare.  One can save a lot of money by not eating.  

Wish I could manage not eating as well as SH did.

Thanks for the tip, Sheerluck.  Will pass this along to our inveterate Collector, Herlock Sholmes.  :)

1 hour ago, Hikari said:

The 50p coin with Holmes on it looks way cool.

Unfortunately, it seems one must buy the entire 2019 Collection at 55 pounds in order to own the Sherlock coin . . it's not sold separately.

I'm with you about the denomination, though . . is 50p an insult to the Great Detective?  Certainly a pound coin . . (is that the same thing as a 'sovereign'?--seeing as SH was so fond of passing those out to the Irregulars) would have been more fitting.  It's not like anybody is going to be *spending* these--quel horreur!--so might as well give SH a really good one.

Like Pippi Longstocking, SH appears to have had an endless chest of valuable coins for passing out to street urchins because he never seemed short of gratuities or cab fare.  One can save a lot of money by not eating.  

Wish I could manage not eating as well as SH did.

Thanks for the tip, Sheerluck.  Will pass this along to our inveterate Collector, Herlock Sholmes.  :)

A sovereign has a nominal value of £1 but the gold value is much higher.

• 1 month later...

A new member has just posted an offer to sell her late mother's Sherlock Holmes chess set (never used) at a reduced price.

• Thanks 1

I saw it and I want it but I’m being ‘sensible’ at the moment and so couldn’t justify buying it at the moment. I once saw a Holmes chess that was on sale for well over £1000 many years ago. Strangely the white King (Holmes) wasn’t that great but the black King (Moriarty of course) was brilliantly done.

A spoke to a guy in the shop who was also looking at it and I remember him saying that “only American tourists could afford it.”

I knew that you were all loaded Carol😃🇱🇷

• Haha 2
  • Tongue 1

Just yesterday I happened upon a furniture store that actually carries a type of chair that I'd seen only online before.  It was just as comfortable as I had assumed, and I was open to the idea of buying it until I saw that the price was *gulp* $4,650.  For a chair!!!  As Alex said, we could get a pretty good used car for only twice that much.

So I can certainly sympathize with you, Herlock.

• Like 1

Nope, just a sitty thing.  Lemme see if I can find it online -- OK, here it is.  The angle is adjustable from "lying down" (as shown) to "sitting up" and anywhere between, simply by pushing the upper part.  The effect is similar to a recliner, but in my opinion it has two major advantages:  1.  There are no mechanical parts that could either break or (more importantly in our house) pinch an unsuspecting cat.  2. There's a built-in knee angle to prevent back strain.

We'd want different upholstery, but at those prices never mind!

On 3/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Nope, just a sitty thing.  Lemme see if I can find it online -- OK, here it is.  The angle is adjustable from "lying down" (as shown) to "sitting up" and anywhere between, simply by pushing the upper part.  The effect is similar to a recliner, but in my opinion it has two major advantages:  1.  There are no mechanical parts that could either break or (more importantly in our house) pinch an unsuspecting cat.  2. There's a built-in knee angle to prevent back strain.

We'd want different upholstery, but at those prices never mind!

I’d want the chair to be attached to a Ferrari for that kind of money Carol,

• 2 months later...

I think that's a collectible only if you don't use it ... :smile: 

• Haha 1

You could collect the empty containers, just for your own satisfaction.  I doubt they'd be worth much as collectables anyhow, full or empty, until a good bit of time has passed and they become vintage items.

So (me being me) I had to look up the difference between "collectable" and "collectible", figuring they would, as often happens to me, both turn out to be acceptable spellings of the same word. Guess what? They are different words! Yay me... https://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/collectable_collectible.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

So (me being me) I had to look up the difference between "collectable" and "collectible", figuring they would, as often happens to me, both turn out to be acceptable spellings of the same word. Guess what? They are different words! Yay me... https://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/collectable_collectible.htm

I did notice that you had "collectible" and I had "collectable," but (like you) I figured they were simply two correct spellings of the same word, since my spell checker didn't complain about either.  I thought about changing my post to match yours, but decided to see if anyone would notice the difference.

I must congratulate you on choosing the proper word.  :applause: 

However I must admit to being underwhelmed by the distinction.  Both come from the same verb, "collect," and both refer to something that can be collected (in some sense of the word), so they're not two different words in the same sense as, say, "band" and "banned."  The separate spellings are presumably due to being used by different groups of people, who just happened to choose different spellings.  Admitted, a language is basically a collection of historical coincidences and accidents.  But I feel that some of them are more important than others -- for example, when the two versions help to avoid confusion, which I doubt is often the case here.

• Haha 1