Sign in to follow this  
HerlockSholmes

A Collector’s Lot

Yup. It even has The Jackson Michigan Zouave Drill Team. In reverse. :D 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Pre-print? Me not know that term.

We watch The Court Jester every year at Christmas. I don't know why; it's not Christmassy. But my brother and I think it's the funniest thing ever filmed. :D 

My dad was always a Danny Kaye fan but I don’t recall ever seeing the movie. I’ve just checked on YouTube but it’s not available there. I’ll keep my eye open for a cheap copy.

A pre-print is basically a copy. It’s usually when someone has a genuine signed photograph and then sells copies at a reduced price. For eg. you can get Rathbone pre-prints for day £5. But a real one is 40 times that.

Odd term, since what you describe just sounds like an everyday copy to me. Learn something new all the time!

This article explains in some detail:

Recognizing pre-printed autographs from authentic ones

I think the reason it's called a preprint instead of a copy is that it's not a copy of just the autograph, it appears to be an autographed photo.  But only one photo was actually autographed; then it was mass-reproduced, so that in the copies, the "autograph" is actually part of the photo.

So, "pre-printed" refers to the autograph (which was previously written by the person who signed it) rather than to the print itself, I guess? Still find it an odd term, but at least now I understand what it means.

I can’t really see why anyone would want one? It would take someone even sadder than me😃

More like a kid, maybe?

• Like 1

Probably Carol. Someone who wants the picture but doesn’t want to pay for the signature.

... or is too young/naive to care that it's not a "real" autograph.  I think I developed an appreciation for that distinction somewhere in my teens.  (Not that I've ever been an autograph collector.)

It's kinda interesting just seeing what a person's handwriting looks like, and a pre-print serves just about as well for that.