If the cast had to be replaced, which actors would you choose to play Sherlock & John?

Tom

Hi,

I need to ask some questions for a piece of work that I am doing, would be much appreciated with any replies I get.

If the cast had to be replaced, which actors would you choose to play Sherlock & John? 

Many thanks, 

Tom

Hi,

I need to ask some questions for a piece of work that I am doing, would be much appreciated with any replies I get.

Many thanks, 

Tom

Interesting question, though I don't think your project is exactly relevant any more.  It's not like Mofftiss are going to need any cast replacements at this point.

BBC Sherlock belongs to the cast we had, but if you're asking me who else among UK actors of the appropriate age group I think would do well in another project featuring a modern-day Holmes and Watson, I'll play.

SHERLOCK HOLMES I could see being played by:

James D'Arcy (Google his picture and you will see a guy who could be Benedict's slighter older, taller brother.)

Richard Armitage  (I'd love to see RA in a deerstalker.  Fond wish of my heart.)

Michael Fassbender 

Nicholas Hoult

Jim Sturgess

Ciillian Murphy (Ben C. is actually ginge; let's have one of the Ginge Nation  unadulterated and see how it goes . . .)

JOHN WATSON

For as unique a character as SH is, it seems easier to cast for his 'type'.  Mofftiss read exactly one (1) Sherlock, but dozens of Watsons before MF walked into the room.  For an 'average' guy, the Doctor is a slippery figure and very hard to cast.  The physical package matters less than the chemistry with the Sherlock.)

Billy Boyd

James McAvoy (Mac is admittedly a long shot.  He's more the leading man type, but his physical package is closer to Martin Freeman's than a classic Sherlock type.)

Matthew Rhys

Ioan Gryfudd

Hugh Dancy

I'm still thinking . . . .

Well, the official answer (from Moffat and Gatiss) is that (as far as the BBC program Sherlock is concerned) Cumberbatch and Freeman will never be replaced.  They basically *are* the show.  Of course someone could start a new program with a different cast, but that's not what you asked about.

Welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

... I don't think your project is exactly relevant any more.  It's not like Mofftiss are going to need any cast replacements at this point.

Not relevant at this very moment perhaps, but Moffat and Gatiss are still talking about doing more episodes of Sherlock sooner or later (though probably later).  After all, Holmes and Watson are traditionally played by middle-aged-to-elderly actors -- why should the program Sherlock be any exception?

Well, the official answer (from Moffat and Gatiss) is that (as far as the BBC program Sherlock is concerned) Cumberbatch and Freeman will never be replaced.  They basically *are* the show.  Of course someone could start a new program with a different cast, but that's not what you asked about.

Welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

... I don't think your project is exactly relevant any more.  It's not like Mofftiss are going to need any cast replacements at this point.

Not relevant at this very moment perhaps, but Moffat and Gatiss are still talking about doing more episodes of Sherlock sooner or later (though probably later).  After all, Holmes and Watson are traditionally played by middle-aged-to-elderly actors -- why should the program Sherlock be any exception?

The Great Detective objects to being called 'elderly'.  He prefers 'vintage.'

Apart from the recent turn by Sir Ian McKellen as a 93-year-old Holmes, I don't know how many of our interpreters I would consider elderly.  Edward Hardwicke certainly *looked* elderly when he took over the role of Watson from the 50-year-old David Burke, but Edward was, incredibly, just a year older than his predecessor.

Tom seemed to be asking about actors who could take over for Cumberbatch and Freeman at their current ages; that's how I interpreted it anyway.  If we are to consider actors who could take over the roles from Cumberbatch and Freeman in 15 or 20 years' time (failing Cumberbatch and Freeman themselves) then that widens the field a bit.  Or narrows it, depending on how many super-middle aged-to-elderly actors would be available to audition.

• Like 1

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Interesting question, that one. I'd go with James Frain for Sherlock, but Watson is a bit trickier. Maybe David Thewlis?

Hi,

Many thanks,

Tom

Interesting question, though I don't think your project is exactly relevant any more. It's not like Mofftiss are going to need any cast replacements at this point.

BBC Sherlock belongs to the cast we had, but if you're asking me who else among UK actors of the appropriate age group I think would do well in another project featuring a modern-day Holmes and Watson, I'll play.

James D'Arcy (Google his picture and you will see a guy who could be Benedict's slighter older, taller brother.)

Richard Armitage (I'd love to see RA in a deerstalker. Fond wish of my heart.)

Michael Fassbender

Nicholas Hoult

Jim Sturgess

Ciillian Murphy (Ben C. is actually ginge; let's have one of the Ginge Nation unadulterated and see how it goes . . .)

JOHN WATSON

For as unique a character as SH is, it seems easier to cast for his 'type'. Mofftiss read exactly one (1) Sherlock, but dozens of Watsons before MF walked into the room. For an 'average' guy, the Doctor is a slippery figure and very hard to cast. The physical package matters less than the chemistry with the Sherlock.)

Billy Boyd

James McAvoy (Mac is admittedly a long shot. He's more the leading man type, but his physical package is closer to Martin Freeman's than a classic Sherlock type.)

Matthew Rhys

Ioan Gryfudd

Hugh Dancy

Hikari,

Did you know that James D’Arcy has already played Holmes in a 2002 movie called Sherlock: Case Of Evil? I can’t remember much about it apart from the fact that I didn’t like it. I do have it but I can’t see me ever watching it again.

I had to google most of the actors that you’ve all mentioned just to see what they look like! I couldn’t think of anyone because I don’t really watch movies or much tv then I though of someone to throw into the mix to see what you thought. How about Lawrence Fox?

Hi,

Many thanks,

Tom

Interesting question, though I don't think your project is exactly relevant any more. It's not like Mofftiss are going to need any cast replacements at this point.

Michael Fassbender

Nicholas Hoult

Jim Sturgess

Ciillian Murphy (Ben C. is actually ginge; let's have one of the Ginge Nation unadulterated and see how it goes . . .)

JOHN WATSON

For as unique a character as SH is, it seems easier to cast for his 'type'. Mofftiss read exactly one (1) Sherlock, but dozens of Watsons before MF walked into the room. For an 'average' guy, the Doctor is a slippery figure and very hard to cast. The physical package matters less than the chemistry with the Sherlock.)

Billy Boyd

James McAvoy (Mac is admittedly a long shot. He's more the leading man type, but his physical package is closer to Martin Freeman's than a classic Sherlock type.)

Matthew Rhys

Ioan Gryfudd

Hugh Dancy

Hikari,

Did you know that James D’Arcy has already played Holmes in a 2002 movie called Sherlock: Case Of Evil? I can’t remember much about it apart from the fact that I didn’t like it. I do have it but I can’t see me ever watching it again.

I did know that, but even before I did, I was like, This Guy looks just like Benedict's Brother--why doesn't he have a bigger career??  (He was Captain Pullings in 'Master and Commander' for anybody who is finding the name hard to place.  It was his turn in a Miss Marple episode that got me thinking along Sherlock lines.  And he was a dead ringer for Tony Perkins in 'Hitchcock'.  He was very young when he played Sherlock the first time; I wouldn't mind seeing his more mature take.  And I must scare up a copy of that 2002 film.

I had to google most of the actors that you’ve all mentioned just to see what they look like! I couldn’t think of anyone because I don’t really watch movies or much tv then I though of someone to throw into the mix to see what you thought. How about Lawrence Fox?

Are you proposing Foxy for Sherlock or for Watson?

Actually DS James Hathaway is already a modern take on Sherlock Holmes, innit.  His senior Inspector, Robbie Lewis is the 'Watson'.

So there we go--if the project is for a 'senior' duo, than I propose Kevin Whately as Watson.  He's had excellent training as he's been playing Watson for lo these 30 years. 

I love him, by the way.  Lurve.  I would choose him over Cumberbatch (if I had to choose) and that is saying something.  Both are married so it's a moot point.

• Like 1

Hi,

Many thanks,

Tom

Michael Fassbender

Nicholas Hoult

Jim Sturgess

JOHN WATSON

Billy Boyd

Matthew Rhys

Ioan Gryfudd

Hugh Dancy

Hikari,

I did know that, but even before I did, I was like, This Guy looks just like Benedict's Brother--why doesn't he have a bigger career?? (He was Captain Pullings in 'Master and Commander' for anybody who is finding the name hard to place. It was his turn in a Miss Marple episode that got me thinking along Sherlock lines. And he was a dead ringer for Tony Perkins in 'Hitchcock'. He was very young when he played Sherlock the first time; I wouldn't mind seeing his more mature take. And I must scare up a copy of that 2002 film.

As I was writing my response I was thinking to myself ‘of course she’ll know this.

Actually DS James Hathaway is already a modern take on Sherlock Holmes, innit. His senior Inspector, Robbie Lewis is the 'Watson'.

So there we go--if the project is for a 'senior' duo, than I propose Kevin Whately as Watson. He's had excellent training as he's been playing Watson for lo these 30 years.

I love him, by the way. Lurve. I would choose him over Cumberbatch (if I had to choose) and that is saying something. Both are married so it's a moot point.

I’d propose him for Holmes (I have to get used to saying Sherlock) . There’s no reason why there couldn’t have been an older Watson. Watson was older than Holmes but only by a couple of years so a bigger age gap might have been an interesting ingredient.

Actually DS James Hathaway is already a modern take on Sherlock Holmes, innit. His senior Inspector, Robbie Lewis is the 'Watson'.

So there we go--if the project is for a 'senior' duo, than I propose Kevin Whately as Watson. He's had excellent training as he's been playing Watson for lo these 30 years.

I love him, by the way. Lurve. I would choose him over Cumberbatch (if I had to choose) and that is saying something. Both are married so it's a moot point.

I’d propose him for Holmes (I have to get used to saying Sherlock) . There’s no reason why there couldn’t have been an older Watson. Watson was older than Holmes but only by a couple of years so a bigger age gap might have been an interesting ingredient.

Foxy would be a good Holmes.  Another fair-haired one like Williamson, but not so neurotic.  We already know he can do snarky, and DS Hathaway is something of a chain smoker, so there's those sorted.  I think Foxy would look da bomb in a deerstalker/pipe combo.  And he's 6'3" so he'd out-Sherlock Sherlock in that department.

Hi Tom! Welcome!

Interesting question! Alas, I honestly can't think of anyone. Maybe if I weren't so tired.....

Kevin Whately as Holmes?  Even speaking as the Unofficial President of the International Kevin Whately fan club, I can't see it. Kev would look cute in a deerstalker, I'm sure, but surely his type screams 'Watson', if his temperament did not.  He'd make a good Lestrade, after playing a senior police inspector for so many years albeit in the relatively genteel Thames Valley rather than Scotland Yard.

A Geordie Holmes would be a laff, though.  Envision Robbie Lewis saying "Once you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however improbable, etc."  Or "I can highly recommend a seven percent solution."  Kev/Robbie is so legendarily clean-living, the mind balks.

I don't care which role he plays.  I just want Kevin to have more work.

Hi, 

Are there any fans of the Sherlock Holmes books? If so, are there any characters from the stories that you think should get a chance in the BBC series?

Tom

Violet Hunter, because of the Holmes stories I've read, she's the only client who stuck out in my mind, and I'd be interested in seeing how they would modernize her character.

And I think I'd like to see more of the Baker Street Irregulars. I like the idea of Sherlock interacting with the homeless.

• Like 1

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum! :wave:

Interesting question, that one. I'd go with James Frain for Sherlock, but Watson is a bit trickier. Maybe David Thewlis?

Hi, Caya,

I meant to say earlier that I think James Frain is a fantastic choice for a Sherlock.  As a younger thing, he was definitely in Benedict's type class, down to the curly hair and very interesting eyes.

I struggle a bit with David Thewlis as Watson owing to the fact that David is a fairly physically huge individual, which would make it harder for him to inhabit the quintessential Watsonian quality of stepping into the background.  Also his looks are so distinctive, which would have the same effect.  It's an interesting suggestion, though.  Watson at any age should seem plausible as a former soldier, and have that bearing.  He is a lot harder to cast for than his allegedly 'average' appearance would suggest. 

David Thewlis strikes me absolutely as a Sherlock figure.

How about our two co-stars from 'Withnail & I' . . . Richard E Grant as Sherlock and Paul McGann as Watson?  I rather think that our 221B Baker Street duo was the model for this pair, unconsciously or not.  Revisiting this 1986 film recently, after having seen it 30 years ago when it was new, it is impossible not to see REG as 'Withnail' as a proto-Cumberbatch-as-Sherlock figure.  Check it out.  Withnail has the Hair, the Snarky Attitude, the Manic Disposition, breezy disregard for social conventions, substance abuse problem, personal charisma that drags his more ordinary and often-unwilling friend into a number of dodgy situations, and most importantly . .a signature Coat.

• Like 1