Side Effects (aka Collateral Damage) of "Sherlock"

I like it about fandoms: once you enter one, you'll never know where the journey may end. :D

What are your side effects? How the series changed you, where did it take you in your life?

Well as for me - it made me spend an equivalent of a little car's value (so far) for things I don't really needed. First time talking to filmmakers and at least having a suspicion (a girl can dream) of being cited by them twice. Having photos with actors (I've had a short chat with Willem Dafoe ages ago). And anyway, this was my first fandom Con in my life.

The most crazy thing, though, is watching The League of Gentlemen and actually liking it enough to have some creative ideas.

Oh, yes, starting a shop with designs and joining social media to advertise it.

And as the side effect of those - I drove to a classical concert of James Rhodes, BCs friend, and had his book signed.

Then, I've recently got a book by Matt Haig How to Stop Time - it got quite popular among Sherlock fans, after BC's Sunny March bought the rights to the story. http://variety.com/2017/film/global/benedict-cumberbatch-how-to-stop-time-studiocanal-sunnymarch-1202008552/On Twitter I've seen a great illustrator, Chris Riddell, making casual sketches in Matt's book and was one of Matt's followers who "demanded" the illustrated version being printed. And yes, I have this illustrated version. Still have to read it though.  :)

Sherlock made me drive long distances to see Hamlet on a big screen. It made me also watch all Hamlets available online and reading the translations to prepare for it.

There is more, also TBC.

• Like 3

J.P.,

It sounds like your 'collateral damage' has been very positive so far.

For me, it's a little bit of a mixed bag, though still mostly positive.

I will start with the Cons though:

-----------------------------------------

--the untold hours at work wasted watching YouTube Sherlock fandom videos instead of working

--how very easy I fell into the 'shipping' lanes, whereby mashups like "Mystrade" and "Sherlolly" make perfect sense to me.

--the hours and lost sleep spent pondering the conundrum of being a Johnlock shipper and yet drooling over Benedict in a most carnal fashion.  I guess Sherlock can be gay and it doesn't effect me, a heterosexual woman, but it does not diminish my carnal thoughts about Mr. Cumberbatch.  I still want Sherlock, too, however.

--Addedum to above:  who is happily married now.  I am happy for him but less so for myself, like I had a snowball's chance with him before. 

--When Ben was single and theoretically available, the effect of Cumberfever led me to days of depression when I saw him cavorting with various unsuitable blondes.  (Unsuitable from my view for a number of reasons:  much too young (23) or American party girl heiresses who might lead him astray into Bad Habits . . or bikini models who were 23 and Ukranian and who may have not even spoken English.  Surely locking oneself in a toilet cubicle to get ahold of oneself at the spectacle of Bendi poolside with a  23-year-old Ukrainian blonde swimsuit model was an extreme reaction, but that is what happened.  Only one time.

--My BBC Sherlock collection is quite small.  I did invest in the DVDs and a Sherlock figure and poster; apart from that my other items have been gifts.   Which leads me to one of the Good Side Effects, but I'll get there in a moment.

---Last year when the S4 DVD of Sherlock came out, I snuck it out of the workroom here at work to watch overnight.  It wasn't ready for the public yet and I thought I'd sidestep the massive Hold queue.  I had it back the next day, but the bosses found out about it and I got a reprimand.  Yeah. 

Now the Pro:

---over on Amazon Discussion Forums, I bonded with my friend Mischief Girl (not her real name haha) over the 'Batch, and the show, and we are still friends to this day.  She has given me several Sherlock BBC books AND an autographed photo of Benedict.  And another one autographed by both leads.  The best gift she gave me, though, the best gift anyone could have given me (short of a Porshe and a flat in Paris) is the complete box set of the Jeremy Brett Granada series.  With the wait for new BBC episodes running at 2-3 years, I got in the TARDIS and went back to Baker Street circa 1895 as made in 1985.  I missed these when they were new, and I don't think I was the right age to appreciate them the way I do now, being fresh out of high school.  I have MG to thank for introducing me to the master of Victorian Sherlocks, Mr. Jeremy Brett (and his dishy First Watson, David Burke.)

---the show has been a springboard for me into Canon and after last season, I finally achieved a long-held goal to read all of the Conan Doyle stories.  Okay, all but two.  But that has led me further afield into Further Sherlock Adventures and now I'm the pen pal of American Sherlockian David Marcum, a rising star in the field.

---After the demise of the Amazon forums, I went online in search of a scion society I could join, and that led me to this website and all you fine people . . with a special shout-out to my cybermate from the Black Country, Herlock Sholmes.

--Oh, and 'Sherlock' drove me to watch every performance I could find of Benedict Cumberbatch.  Our Sherlock is one of the finest actors of his generation, and I urge everyone to watch his other films.  The pop culture stuff is okay but I'm talking about hidden gems like 'Third Star', 'Wreckers', 'Hawking' , 'The Last Enemy'--all done before he was a Big Star . . .and later work like The Imitation Game, The Fifth Estate and his Richard III.  All not to be missed.

• Like 2

Firsts and side effects for me:

Realizing that lightning really can strike twice (first time was Star Trek, the original series).

Having what amounts to a part-time job moderating and participating in this forum.

Having a big poster actually on my wall for the first time *ever* (prior posters got bought but never hung up).

Learning how to hotlink.

Actually finishing (and web-publishing) a fan-fiction story.

Going to my first-ever midnight showing -- The Hobbit.  (I would have seen the movie anyhow of course, but I wouldn't have stayed up so late for it if any other actor had been playing Bilbo.)

Buying Tshirts and jewelry based on a tv show.  (Nope, didn't for Trek.)  Oh, and a pillow like the one John uses on his chair.

• Like 3

My list is pretty similar to Hikari's, so I won't go through it again. :smile: But one of the most surprising things for me has been this forum, where I get to communicate with, literally, people from all over the world, about a shared passion. That's been very special, I seldom get to share passions about anything with anyone, because mine are usually so different from everyone else's. (If I have to listen to my friends rave about "Victoria" one more time I may go ballistic.....)

That's the downside, too, I'm afraid .... I spend wayyyy too much time here. I really should be doing paperwork at the moment ......

What is your poster, Carol? I had a LOTR poster up for years and years (pre-movie ... it was that old hippy-dippy book cover with the weird trees, do you know which one I mean?) and after it fell apart, a Space Cruiser Yamato one for a long time. Now I have a Sherlock action figure on my bookshelf. I'm regressing. :)

• Like 2

Many side effects for me as well..with Sherlock, but before with other TV shows...time spent on searching for and reading press articles, fanzines (that was in the time of X-files and Friends, over now!), and forums. Time spent in writing fanfics (not here, I wouldn't cope with English so as to write a whole story, but in French for Person of interest. And I can't imagine developing a plot which would be good enough for Sherlock's déductions, and even if I can imagine A LOT about some Mycroft's love stories, that can't be -as for me- the only point for a Sherlock development)...

But it gave me ideas for work, as in the recent years I could refer to some scènes of my favourite series to explain a few history and geography concepts to my students(I teach these subjects): a comparison between Friends and Person of interest gives a good idea of the evolution of our world's major cities (with prices growing, more and more offices and less and less accomodations...which is refered as "gentrification"), John shouting at Sherlock "oh God yes!" allows me to introduce the concept of brutalization of minds by the wars...not completely a waste, thus. I have become more and more attracted in the idea that popular culture and entertainment can be an open door to many fields that are often considered only for a few people.

And of course, enjoying Sherlock gave me the pleasure to get here and have exchanges with people all over the world.

• Like 1

What is your poster, Carol? I had a LOTR poster up for years and years (pre-movie ... it was that old hippy-dippy book cover with the weird trees, do you know which one I mean?) and after it fell apart, a Space Cruiser Yamato one for a long time. Now I have a Sherlock action figure on my bookshelf. I'm regressing. :)

The poster on our living-room wall is one from GB Posters with Sherlock and John.  We put it in one of those plastic poster frames to keep it from getting tattered.

Yup, I know exactly the LotR poster you mean.  I think I have one somewhere in the attic, still in its original cardboard tube.

• Like 1

I can't think of a single negative effect the show has had on my life.

It led me to join my first fandom ever ("fan" was never a word I would have applied to myself before including as a teenager) but because I found this place early, I didn't get sucked into the vast craziness of being a fan of anything on the internet at large.

It led me to check out other productions Benedict Cumberbatch had been in (Martin Freeman's work I was quite familiar with already and I originally only watched Sherlock because he was in it) and to discover gems like Parade's End which is so beautiful and touching and such a perfect, complete little bit of television in my opinion as I have never come across before. I watch it every November now, it's just perfect for that time of the year.

I read fan fiction for the first time in my life and learned to appreciate what I had previously looked down upon. I even wrote some myself.

• Like 1

The only "negative" effects I noticed is that:

1) the show literally resettet my brain, wiping out all former interests I had. I love my obsessions, but I can manage only one at time, otherwise my brain would explode.

2) I spend much too much time on social media and get involved in discussions I shouldn't care about (I noticed that I can hardly resist the urge to correct people's facts if they have them obviously wrong). It takes the time I would spend on reading or doing stuff.

3) Especially at the beginning, the desire to read and see and know EVERYTHING available online along with the avalanche of creativity brought me on the verge of panic attacks caused by sheer overload.

But I'm generally positive about it, I fall in my obsessions like other people fall in love and I learned to enjoy them, inclusive the damage part. ;) I'm an old single owl, what I do affects only me, so what the heck.

ETA:

another downside - I get jealous too often. Really jealous. Of people being able to meet my heroes, of Londoners being able to go to all those live events. Sherlock-involved people and their relatives do a lot of stuff on stage.

• Like 2

The poster on our living-room wall is one from GB Posters with Sherlock and John.  

I knew it would be that one!

I made an oversight, yesterday.  I forgot to mention that BBC Sherlock led directly to my owning and loving the Granada Brett series, which I had heard often spoken of with veneration but had not seen.  Props to my good friend Mischief Girl for the Christmas present that will keep on giving for years to come:  the complete box set of all of Mr. Jeremy Brett's Sherlock episodes.  I will be forever grateful.

• Like 1

Same as many of you, and all positive:

• Like Carol, I discovered a fandom I was as passionate about (almost) as I am about Star Trek.
  • Like Arcadia, I found this forum and get to talk to all sorts of people around the world, which has really done a lot to personalize perspectives different from my own and has been an excellent antidote to all the online yelling that goes on in the world.
  • I went to see the filmed versions of the plays Frankenstein and Hamlet, which I assure you I would not have done otherwise.  Even took my MIL to Hamlet, since she's a Shakespeare fan.
  • Bought my first (only) pair of Louboutins to be more like Irene, or at least more like how Irene dresses.
  • Discovered that there was such a thing as fan fiction, started reading a lot of it and gaining respect, and have written 30+ stories with more on the way, hopefully.
  • Like 1

Oh, gosh, I forgot Frankenstein! I also went to see Coriolanus for Mark.

And then there are co-fandoms. Like Dr Who, which I'm not really passionate about, but I understand why people are loving it. It surely widened my horizon. At least I know now what a Dalek is. The same with Marvel.

• Like 1

Well it's not good in financial side as I bought some Sherlock'a stuffs.

I have his mini figurine that stands in front of my keyboard looking unimpressed at my work. Bought not really-worth-it Cluedo when I stumbled at it during vacation and had to bring it home because it wouldn't be easy to find again except online.

And I have their high detailed figurines after months and year of debate but then one fine day, when I was bored with life, thought the hell with it, I never splurge, everything I do always have a good purpose, I work hard and all those excuses, only justifiable by Sherlock. :p

Time wise, same, I think I have never been involved with 'fandom'. It takes a lot of time for me to construct a coherent-enough post, more often sacrificing work and sleeping time. Of all the time wasting stuffs I had given up; facebook, instagram, other forums, I'm still here. Somehow, it seems like time worth spending.

And yes, I meet logical people to share fun discussion and although it sounds ridiculous, this forum actually helps me tremendously to recognize myself. And give me a piece of mind that I'm not the only nuts around. :p

Always have to supress myself in real life. Nobody is as nerdy as me, and not many to have meaningful gilberish discussions and not many are exposed to my weirdly wired head because of different frequency. While it's probably torturing for you guys to have me, this forum is good for my mental health. Not sorry.

Having said that, I think I would probably freak out if we meet each other, I'd be too.. reserved maybe? Frightened that you are no longer 100x100 pixel?

Damage in fangirling, a lot. Previously I thought no celebrity is too interesting. Good looking, yes, but blah. Always more intrigued with under the radar and quiet type, I think the closest celebrity that intrigued me tiny bit was Keanu Reeves, but I know nothing about him. Just quiet and not celebrity like, which I like.

Well I love quiet athletic nerd, the less interest he shows to women, the more charming he is, and I'm sucker for deep voice. So yah, damn you Sherl. Having said that, Mr. Cumberbatch is almost just another celebrity to me, albeit nice, goofy and playful (love those traits as well) but I fell only for Sherlock and Khan. :p Which is kind of stupid actually.

Other fandom behavior, I think beside here, nothing improves. No other fandom, I don't go around reading actor's news or watching their works just because, but it's a plus point to see them in other shows. I don't really care what they are up to or how many babies they have, unless it's Sherlock related. I probably separate my fiction and real life way too well.

Personality, I embrace my unpleasantness much more and more open to show it because Sherlock does it, so it's okay rite? :p Well I think it has more to do the the nature of my work, and the more I get older, I spend less time on things I don't care about and brutal honesty is the quickest way to filter those that won't waste your time.

• Like 4

And yes, I meet logical people to share fun discussion and although it sounds ridiculous, this forum actually helps me tremendously to recognize myself. And give me a piece of mind that I'm not the only nuts around. :P

Always have to supress myself in real life. Nobody is as nerdy as me, and not many to have meaningful gilberish discussions and not many are exposed to my weirdly wired head because of different frequency. While it's probably torturing for you guys to have me, this forum is good for my mental health. Not sorry.

Having said that, I think I would probably freak out if we meet each other, I'd be too.. reserved maybe? Frightened that you are no longer 100x100 pixel?

The only members I've met in person so far are Tim, Banshee, and Aely (none of whom post much any more, though hopefully there's no connection), and nobody ran away screaming, so there's hope.

I keep thinking if a group of us were going to get together, it might be nice to have name tags with our avatars on them.  Or maybe full-face masks of our avatars.  Do you think that'd help?

Not torturing, no.  Weird, definitely, but in a good way.  :P

• Like 3

Cons to the show/fandom:

I get drawn in to time wasters such as reading to much fanfic when I should be doing something else that is more important (I'm getting better at reining it in).

It's hard to reference ASiB to johnspec when I won't allow him to see the scantily clad scenes of Irene.

Pros:

Talented acting, intelligent humor, shared interest with my son, and some new acquaintances from around the world. Also discovered some knew film & stage works that I enjoy.

And the only fellow member I've met in person is johnspec but I gave birth to him, so...

Also I have the BBC tie-in books, the coloring book (2 copies), 2 of the behind the scenes books, all of the dvds (I got the special fan edition of S1-3 so have the busts of Sherlock and John) and all or just about all of the Funkos.

Well it's not good in financial side as I bought some Sherlock'a stuffs.

I have his mini figurine that stands in front of my keyboard looking unimpressed at my work. Bought not really-worth-it Cluedo when I stumbled at it during vacation and had to bring it home because it wouldn't be easy to find again except online.

And I have their high detailed figurines after months and year of debate but then one fine day, when I was bored with life, thought the hell with it, I never splurge, everything I do always have a good purpose, I work hard and all those excuses, only justifiable by Sherlock. :P

Time wise, same, I think I have never been involved with 'fandom'. It takes a lot of time for me to construct a coherent-enough post, more often sacrificing work and sleeping time. Of all the time wasting stuffs I had given up; facebook, instagram, other forums, I'm still here. Somehow, it seems like time worth spending.

And yes, I meet logical people to share fun discussion and although it sounds ridiculous, this forum actually helps me tremendously to recognize myself. And give me a piece of mind that I'm not the only nuts around. :P

Damage in fangirling, a lot. Previously I thought no celebrity is too interesting. Good looking, yes, but blah. Always more intrigued with under the radar and quiet type, I think the closest celebrity that intrigued me tiny bit was Keanu Reeves, but I know nothing about him. Just quiet and not celebrity like, which I like.

Well I love quiet athletic nerd, the less interest he shows to women, the more charming he is, and I'm sucker for deep voice. So yah, damn you Sherl. Having said that, Mr. Cumberbatch is almost just another celebrity to me, albeit nice, goofy and playful (love those traits as well) but I fell only for Sherlock and Khan. :P Which is kind of stupid actually.

Other fandom behavior, I think beside here, nothing improves. No other fandom, I don't go around reading actor's news or watching their works just because, but it's a plus point to see them in other shows. I don't really care what they are up to or how many babies they have, unless it's Sherlock related. I probably separate my fiction and real life way too well.

Personality, I embrace my unpleasantness much more and more open to show it because Sherlock does it, so it's okay rite? :P Well I think it has more to do the the nature of my work, and the more I get older, I spend less time on things I don't care about and brutal honesty is the quickest way to filter those that won't waste your time.

"Brutal honesty is the quickest way to filter out those who won't waste your time."

Sherlock approves this message.

And why wouldn't he?  It's so very him.  :p

VBS (which in my country stands for 'Vacation Bible School' most often, but you have given me another variation),

I know you  posted this yesterday, but I'm giving you Hikari's Post of the Day award for your entertaining thoughts on what BBC Sherlock has done to you.  Very refreshingly put!

• Like 2

There are definately some that hate Sherlock but I definately don’t count myself amongst them. Obviously I prefer the traditional Holmes but there have been some awful ‘traditional’ interpretations as well as some great ones so I prefer a good modern to a terrible traditional one any day.

There’s always a ‘cash-in’ when something new comes along and Sherlock was no different. What has surprised me is the fact that the individual episodes haven’t appeared in novel form. Surely they are missing a trick here? I’ve often seen books with Cumberbatch and Freeman on the front and thought that they had released them at last only to find out that they are just collections of Doyle stories.

Well, I have to say I tried. I even won the collection of ACD stories, but I got stuck very quickly.

I love this one show not because it's Sherlock Holmes or for the cases, but because of this version Sherlock (and others) and how it's made.

But there are many people who discovered the canon because of the series.

• Like 3

There are definately some that hate Sherlock but I definately don’t count myself amongst them. Obviously I prefer the traditional Holmes but there have been some awful ‘traditional’ interpretations as well as some great ones so I prefer a good modern to a terrible traditional one any day.

There’s always a ‘cash-in’ when something new comes along and Sherlock was no different. What has surprised me is the fact that the individual episodes haven’t appeared in novel form. Surely they are missing a trick here? I’ve often seen books with Cumberbatch and Freeman on the front and thought that they had released them at last only to find out that they are just collections of Doyle stories.

I know which one you mean . . (there's more than one? quel surprise . .not).  That's called Mofftiss cashing in on crossover royalties without having to create one stinkin' new iota of material themselves . .(like, maybe, a palatable Season 4?)

I suppose that a large number of BBC Sherlock fans did cross over into reading the ACD stories because of the show, and that is a good development.  Can't have too many true devotees running around.  I have no hard data to support this contention I'm about to make, but I'd say that it's also equally likely that a still greater number of BBC Sherlock viewers have never and will never read any Conan Doyle, now that their minds are full of Mofftiss & Benedict's conception of Sherlock.  For these viewers, most of whom I would peg as being among the younger set (under 35s), Bendi is their only exposure to Sherlock (unless they also watch CBS's Elementary.)  I would not automatically assume that all of this cohort even realizes that the Great Detective was in fact invented in the Victorian era now some 130-odd years ago, and doesn't really resemble Benedict Cumberbatch much, and would reject these 'moldy old stories' from the 19th century as 'great-granddad's reading' and not hip enough for their Millennial selves.

Is this a cynical view?  Probably, but I feel like it's one I've earned.  Sherlock Holmes was plenty hip when he was first around.  He was the man on the very cutting edge of technology.   One day BBC Sherlock will be a quaint relic of the early Oughts  and will be 'that show my grandparents used to watch on something called 'television'. 

• Like 1

The Moftisses have stated that they are opposed to publishing novelizations of the episodes, but they might make the shooting scripts available at some point.  I would guess that point should be pretty damn soon, if they don't want the casual fans drifting away to something else.  There are online copies of about half of the scripts, though, hopefully to be followed by the rest.

• Like 1

The only members I've met in person so far are Tim, Banshee, and Aely (none of whom post much any more, though hopefully there's no connection), and nobody ran away screaming, so there's hope.

I keep thinking if a group of us were going to get together, it might be nice to have name tags with our avatars on them.  Or maybe full-face masks of our avatars.  Do you think that'd help?

Don't know, Carol ... I just pictured myself showing up with a full face mask of my avatar. I think there might actually be some running and screaming involved. :D

I’ve been thinking for a while about asking the Sherlock fans on here about their experiences of watching other versions of Holmes. I’d they liked or disliked about them? Or what puts them off about them? Just out of curiosity of course. I’m wary though of entering into a subject that others aren’t as interested in (or obsessed with, depending on your viewpoint☹️) as I am. I’d guess that I’m the only person on this forum that’s excited about the discovery of a ‘previously list’ silent Hound Of The Baskervilles so I’m a bit self-conscious about being the Forums ‘Holmes bore.’

I wouldn't worry about it, I think most people are perfectly capable of, er, ignoring posts they're not interested in. I think it would be a good question ... you might be surprised how many people around here are also interested in other Holmeses. (Then again, maybe you won't. :P) I know the discussions you and Hikari have had did encourage me to go back and read some more of the canon (although I haven't done it yet ... but at least it's back on my list of things to do!)

I loved the Brett series. I didn't swoon over it like I do over "Sherlock," but I remember looking forward to watching it with my dad every week. That's the part of it that sticks with me the most; it was something my dad and I shared. I'm only briefly familiar with any other versions, but that doesn't stop me from having opinions on them ... so ask away!

You are absolutely right.  Though, when S1 aired in 2010 in the UK, the collected stories of Conan Doyle topped the best-seller lists once again for a big chunk of the year.  He's always continued to sell well through the century-plus since SH was appearing in The Strand . . but the release of BBC Sherlock led to an insane flurry of buying ACD titles in newly-released editions.

See? :smile:

I love this one show not because it's Sherlock Holmes or for the cases, but because of this version Sherlock (and others) and how it's made.

But there are many people who discovered the canon because of the series.

Same here. I didn't start watching it because it was about Sherlock Holmes, I gave it a try because I'd heard so many great things about it, and I knew I liked Martin Freeman. And it wasn't until Season 3 aired - or, more accurately, went off the air - that I went off the deep end. I can't explain it; this is one of the few shows that feels like it was made for People Just Like Me. (All two dozen of us. :P) It could have been about Joe the Plumber and I suspect I would have been just as nuts about it, as long as it had the same verve/actors/style/etc.

But that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of other versions of Holmes. I don't know why, but I don't have any problem containing different versions of the same thing in my head. Star Trek, for instance ... I was mad about the universe of the original series, but I also love the reboot and it doesn't bother me at all that, for instance, Khan is suddenly a white guy. (Although, to be fair, he's not just any white guy... :naughty:) I remember really enjoying the Seven Percent Solution, for example. But I didn't lose my mind over it. I don't know why I succumbed so thoroughly to Sherlock, but I did. I blame Benedict. :P

The Moftisses have stated that they are opposed to publishing novelizations of the episodes, but they might make the shooting scripts available at some point.  I would guess that point should be pretty damn soon, if they don't want the casual fans drifting away to something else.  There are online copies of about half of the scripts, though, hopefully to be followed by the rest.

There is the manga version, though, which is not so different from a novelization. I haven't bought one, but I've seen a couple pages online and it looks to me like there's a least some additional material, in the same way there would be in a novelization. I wonder why they were okay with that but not the other.

Same here. I didn't start watching it because it was about Sherlock Holmes, I gave it a try because I'd heard so many great things about it, and I knew I liked Martin Freeman. And it wasn't until Season 3 aired - or, more accurately, went off the air - that I went off the deep end. I can't explain it; this is one of the few shows that feels like it was made for People Just Like Me. (All two dozen of us. :P) It could have been about Joe the Plumber and I suspect I would have been just as nuts about it, as long as it had the same verve/actors/style/etc.

It fits like a glow doesn't it? It even has some bits I would write into a show if I was ever to write/make some.

• Like 2