Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

Undead Medic

The past few days, the forum doesn't seem to be sizing photos automatically, at least on my phone, such as here.  The photo apparently shows up full-size, rather than scaled to the surrounding text.  Is anyone else seeing this?

Not only these few days. To me, in phone, always.

So glad that it picks on you too! :D 

P.S. I have been posting from desktop recently, since I got the chance. Posting from phone still proved to be too troublesome for me. Deskop behaves slightly better.

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The past few days, the forum doesn't seem to be sizing photos automatically, at least on my phone, such as here.  The photo apparently shows up full-size, rather than scaled to the surrounding text.

It's happening on my laptop as well, such as here.  Used to be, an oversize photo would be scaled down to match the width of the text.  Now, it overflows the edge of the screen.  Is anyone else seeing this?

This is the first one I linked to above:

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Well, nowadays I barely able to tell difference between duck, goose, chicken, monkey, pig... or.....plants.

Screenshot_2018-07-20-07-12-37_1.jpg

... and the second one is below.

... and this is the second one:

6 hours ago, J.P. said:

BTS photo from THe Hollow Crown.
45751254539c30d604afd8dee7c27d15--bbc-tw

Linking to a post in a thread that has lots of photos doesn't always end you up at the right post, by the time all the photos load.  But I think that's always been the case.

Everything's been looking fine on my laptop, and I've never been misdirected to the wrong photo. In fact, all the photos load instantly for me. But I have relatively high speed internet, do you? That wouldn't explain the phones, of course. Or would it? I admit I know nothing about how phones work.

There are two ways to access the internet from a cellphone.  You can pay your phone company for "minutes" or you can use wifi.  I have wifi at home and at Mom's anyhow, so I rarely use the minimal minutes that  come with my texting.

But it's not the download speed that I was talking about, and I don't think that has anything to do with what I'm seeing.

When you look at the quote boxes in my posts above, are the photos basically the same width as the column of text or are they way wider?  What I'm seeing is the latter; i.e., the photos are apparently being shown full size rather than scaled down to fit the forum format.

Well, on my laptop the column of text is far wider than any of the photos, but I know what you mean: occasionally I get an email with an embedded picture that for some reason doesn't resize to fit the viewable space. I've discovered if I forward those back to myself, however, they usually will resize. So I assume it's some sort of coding issue between different email clients, or some such. 

What I meant, though, is maybe download speed has something to do with this:

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Linking to a post in a thread that has lots of photos doesn't always end you up at the right post, by the time all the photos load.

because on mine, the photos all load instantly. (Usually.) But I could be way off base, I have no idea.

I see.  Well, my actual point there (not very well phrased, I see) was that this link...

On 7/20/2018 at 3:41 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

The past few days, the forum doesn't seem to be sizing photos automatically, at least on my phone, such as here.

... should take you to VBS's illiterate-duck photo that I quoted above, but I don't think it does.  Lemme post this much and test that hypothesis.

I see.  Well, my actual point there (not very well phrased, I see) was that the link in this post...

On 7/20/2018 at 3:41 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

The past few days, the forum doesn't seem to be sizing photos automatically, at least on my phone, such as here.

... should take you to VBS's illiterate-duck photo that I quoted above, but I don't think it does.  Lemme post this much and test that hypothesis.

Son of a gun, it does!  Well, either I was posting in my sleep or it's different on my laptop at home.  I don't see how the internet speed should have anything to do with what ends up on the screen, but maybe it does.

Anyhow, I was talking about the photos being oversized, and they still are.  So never mind all that other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

And here I am on my laptop.  Photos are sized properly.  But on the other hand (literally), I see that they're behaving themselves on my phone now, too.  I assume Tim has been working his magic again.

Thanks, Tim!

• Like 1

With the old forum software, I had trouble reading any of the dark-background themes, because the text wasn't all that much lighter than the background.  So when the new software went live, I knee-jerkedly went with Light (the light-background theme), assuming that BlueBoh (the dark-background theme) would not provide enough contrast for me to read easily.

But it just occurred to me last night, when I was checking the forum from my bedroom, that BlueBoh might be more comfortably dim for reading in the dark -- and so it was.  I can read the posts just fine with the new offwhite-on-blackish theme (much nicer than the old light-blue-on-dark-blue, or whatever it was).  I think I'll keep using it.

There's still one minor problem, though -- the Unread Content and All Activity pages use purple-on-blackish for the brief quote from the post, which is harder for me to read, especially on my phone.  I could just click Condensed and stop worrying about it, but I kinda like the Expanded view.  Any chance that the quote could be changed to the same light text color that's used for the actual posts?

Make that two minor problems:

The contents of a spoiler box (at least on my phone)

display as pale gray on white.  I can read it easily enough by highlighting it, but would be nice if I didn't need that extra step.

Huh. I have the same problem with spoilers, but I don't see any purple on the Unread Content page. Maybe it's a browser thing? I agree the text is a trifle dark, but not so much I can't read it.

I just noticed something … there's new content in the "recently watched movies" thread, but that thread doesn't show up in my Unread Content list. I've suspected this has been happening but this is the first time I've caught it in the act, so to speak.

I also am fairly certain that threads disappear from Unread Content before I have a chance to click on them. There's several times when I've been pretty sure there were some additional unread threads, but they disappear while I'm busy visiting a different thread, if that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Maybe it's a browser thing?

I think it's a cell phone thing.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I also am fairly certain that threads disappear from Unread Content before I have a chance to click on them. There's several times when I've been pretty sure there were some additional unread threads, but they disappear while I'm busy visiting a different thread, if that makes sense. 

It doesn't make sense, but the same thing has happened to me.  ;)

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Make that two minor problems:

The contents of a spoiler box (at least on my phone)

Hide contents

display as pale gray on white.  I can read it easily enough by highlighting it, but would be nice if I didn't need that extra step.

How's it look now? 🙂

• Thanks 2