Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

Undead Medic

3 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Please excuse my density, but where is the search drop-down?  Or is it only available on computers?

Yep, it doesn't appear on mobile devices.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Undead Medic said:

I appear to have fixed the search drop-down too! 😂

Yes you have, thanks! Ooooh, a new toy......

A question out of curiosity. How come it’s impossible to post on the ‘1500 posts and a promotion’ thread?  At first I thought that it might be for moderators messages only but there are posts on there by non-moderators. 

It’s definitely not a complaint but I just thought it a little strange.👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

A question out of curiosity. How come it’s impossible to post on the ‘1500 posts and a promotion’ thread?  At first I thought that it might be for moderators messages only but there are posts on there by non-moderators. 

It’s definitely not a complaint but I just thought it a little strange.👍

I just had a look and for some reason the permissions were only allowing Mods & Admins to post in this topic, this should now be resolved. :)

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Undead Medic said:

I just had a look and for some reason the permissions were only allowing Mods & Admins to post in this topic, this should now be resolved. :)

Cheers Tim,

I thought it was a little strange👍

• 2 weeks later...

Tim has been trying to reproduce some of the problems reported here, but with little success.  He does have one suggestion:

28 minutes ago, Undead Medic said:

I haven't been able to locate any problem when testing Fox or VBS's accounts. The only thing I can think of to suggest is that they both clear their browser caches and ensure that their cookie settings are allowing (not blocking) cookies from the forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks but I do both things he suggests all the time, for security and access reasons. And the fact that it happens on both phone and desktop make it weirder and harder to predict why.

And look at now, it let me post smoothly without hassle but I can only play for a while because I have to save my battery, hopefully the next time I log in it would be as good.

I think you have to give up Carol, and admit that sometimes the forum likes my nose sometimes it doesn't.

• Haha 1

*sigh*  I suppose you're right.  Guess we'll have to take up a collection to buy you an assortment of forum-compliant fake noses.

• Like 1

Aiz, and I believe I have female version of Sherlock's nose, albeit it's uglier and you have to see it from very, very specific angle. What more does it want?

And what is forum-compliant fake nose looks like? Mycroft's? Can you blame me then if NOW I'm imagining that all of you forum approved's noses look like Mycroft? GAH 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a reason why Tapatalk and this forum aren't communicating?  Tapatalk let's me view the threads but I can't do anything but read them.  It is not even showing me that there are any notifications, but when I click on a thread to read it, it does giving new posts.  I've tried logging out and logging back in and also restarting my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:53 PM, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Is there a reason why Tapatalk and this forum aren't communicating?  Tapatalk let's me view the threads but I can't do anything but read them.  It is not even showing me that there are any notifications, but when I click on a thread to read it, it does giving new posts.  I've tried logging out and logging back in and also restarting my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.

Sorry, Camper, I have no idea.  I've been hoping someone with Tapatalk experience would chime in.

I've been looking through some old posts, from the days of the former forum software, and of course a lot (all?) of the emoties had been reduced to their codes.  I found that I could get them to look like real emoties again by editing to add a space in front of them (i.e., to the left).  Didn't seem to matter whether there was already one space or two -- adding another space did the trick.  Dunno whether they'll stay fixed, though.

• Thanks 1

With the old software, I had the basic : ) ; ) but not the bbcode emoties on Tapatalk.  With the new software, most show up, some with a slight delay.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is just me, but I didn't realize I had a new  private message till it'd been sitting in my inbox for a couple of days.

What with the "Unread Content" and "All Activity" links being below the banner photo, I rarely scroll up to the top  of the page, where the notification buttons and flags are, especially on my phone.

Plus I must admit that I intentionally keep the page scrolled down so I don't have to look at that photo (especially Pierre's grimace) -- it's really getting to me.

Doesn't it default to the top of the page when you first enter the forum? I generally glance at that area out of habit, I think. But if it weren't the first thing I saw, I doubt if I'd notice it either. Although I seem to remember I have my notifications set to email me if there's a private message, for that very reason.

Yeah, mightn't hurt to reselect the email notification, I guess -- though I don't necessarily check my email every day either.

It probably does come up at the top if the page when I load the forum from scratch -- but I usually just leave it up all the time, so it's generally scrolled down to the links below the photo.

Hey, Carol, how about this one instead? This ought to cheer you right up....

8MpOQq3.jpg?1

Sherlock looks to be attempting a Dr. Strange move in the banner photo.

I go away for a couple of hours and the Webmaster has been busy, I see.

Yup, he sneaks in when we're not looking :sofa: and changes things.

Is that an actual episode scene (presumably from TFP) -- or what?

15 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is that an actual episode scene (presumably from TFP) -- or what?

Nah, it's one of the promo shots, just like the other one. I see Pierre is still in residence.

Now I'm thinking about what other goodies we can ask for! Christmas is coming up, you know. ;) 

Thanks Tim!