Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

Undead Medic

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Nah, it's one of the promo shots, just like the other one. I see Pierre is still in residence.

Thanks -- I was wondering why Ariane DeVere's transcript of TFP doesn't mention chess.  They do seem to be wearing their TFP clothing, so it must have been shot while they were filming that episode.

I don't think that's Pierre.  His facial expression looks more like John to me -- maybe while he was pretending to be Pierre in order to fool the henchmen.

• Haha 1

What amuses me is that you remember the clothes they wore in TFP, but not the plot. :lol4:

Hey Tim! (I couldn't find the "Hey, Tim" thread … 😕)

After a question from VBS, I discovered that visitors still can't see the S4 threads unless they're logged in. Is it supposed to be that way? I'm wondering if it doesn't make it look like (to guests) the forum's no longer active?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Hey Tim! (I couldn't find the "Hey, Tim" thread … 😕)

After a question from VBS, I discovered that visitors still can't see the S4 threads unless they're logged in. Is it supposed to be that way? I'm wondering if it doesn't make it look like (to guests) the forum's no longer active?

I have adjusted the permissions, these topics should now be visible.

• Thanks 3

On 9/20/2018 at 8:53 PM, SherlockedCAMPer said:

Is there a reason why Tapatalk and this forum aren't communicating?  Tapatalk let's me view the threads but I can't do anything but read them.  It is not even showing me that there are any notifications, but when I click on a thread to read it, it does giving new posts.  I've tried logging out and logging back in and also restarting my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.

On 9/23/2018 at 2:03 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Sorry, Camper, I have no idea.  I've been hoping someone with Tapatalk experience would chime in.

Tim any ideas on this?  I tried logging out and logging back in to Tapatalk a few minutes ago with a phone restart in between and still no luck.

We recently moved from http to https, it seems I hadn’t updateded the url with Tapatalk setup. If it still doesn’t work for you, then you may need to log out of the forum within the Tapatalk app and log back in.

(Posted via Tapatalk )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yours was the first notification since September 18. Thanks much.

Yours was the first notification since September 18. Thanks much.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That’s ok. I used my laptop and tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if you guys have the same nuisance of loading images like me.

So my way of doing it, is to host it somewhere else and copy paste the link. For most of the time, it doesn't work right away, so I would click other threads back and forth and finally, the image appears. OR, it doesn't load at all and remains as link.

When it happens, I would use the small button on the bottom right (Insert other media) and copy the link there. It would take a while (sometimes way too long or permanently freeze that way), on good day it would load the image.

If both ways fail, I normally give up.

However, I remember earlier in newer forum, we actually had preview button (?) to see how our post looks like before submitting, and that was also one of the good trigger to make the image loads for me. Haven't seen the preview button for a long time? Thought it was useful for checking typos too.

I do mine the same way you describe, VBS. I don't have any problem, except that for the last few weeks (months?) I have to copy and paste the link twice before it will show up. I think I started having that problem around about the time Imgur made some changes to their site, I'm not sure. At first I just assumed it was just me making a mistake, so I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to when it started.

And the "preview" button still shows up on the menu for me. It's the last icon, right after the "remove formatting" button. Those two, and "font", are on the second line of the menu on my screen. "Size" is the last thing on the first line. I'm wondering if the second line simply doesn't show up on your device? I've had that happen on other websites, and have to switch to a different browser to get them to show up correctly.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

And the "preview" button still shows up on the menu for me. It's the last icon, right after the "remove formatting" button. Those two, and "font", are on the second line of the menu on my screen. "Size" is the last thing on the first line. I'm wondering if the second line simply doesn't show up on your device? I've had that happen on other websites, and have to switch to a different browser to get them to show up correctly.

Oh I see it I see it! In my desktop version, I suspect I didn't see the complete set in my mobile version, just like back then when I couldn't find the 'remove format' when I was really really sure I used it before.

• Like 1

Right, you won't get all the buttons on your phone.  If you switch the phone browser to Desktop Site mode, you'll get more of the buttons, but still not all.  At least that's how it is for me.

I sure wish the phone version had the remove-formatting button, mostly because that version has a nasty habit of changing portions of my text to a sort of negative image that's nearly illegible.  Usually the Undo button will fix that (at the expense of losing whatever change I was attempting to make), but sometimes I have to close out and start over.  Or just say phooey on it.

Does saying "phooey" make the text change to normal? I'll have to try that sometime. :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have actually tried much stronger words than that.  Unfortunately they seem to have little effect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yup, I checked, mobile version is not complete. Now in my new phone, the desktop version works.

However, today is the day when loading image doesn't work at all. :( Hmppppphhh (even from imgur which I miraculously able to access today).

• Confused 2

• 4 months later...

Is there a way to quote from a thread in a different thread?  I used to be able to do that using Source to get the BBCode, but since that feature is gone I can find no way of doing it.  I tried finagling a few things, but it didn't work.

Press "Quote" under the post in question, that'll cause the quote to appear in the window below. Then click on the window and press CTRL + A , then CTRL + C (or mark all, then right-click and choose copy). Go to the thread you want to post the quote in, click the posting box, then press CTRL + V (or right-click and choose paste). Voila! :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's another way as well, one that makes more use of the forum's own capabilities, so you're less likely to end up with something that looks a little funny:

1. Go to the post that you want to quote.  Hit the "+" (MultiQuote) button, and you'll get a little pop-up that says "Quote 1 post."

2. Starting from there, travel to the thread where you want to put the quote.  (That is, you can't just open that tab again, you have to *go* there from where you are.)  When you arrive, the little pop-up should be there waiting for you.

3. Open the Reply box.  If you've already started your new post, your stuff should still be there, so position the cursor where you want the quote to appear.  Or if you're starting the new post from scratch, type in anything that you want to appear above the quote, and leave the cursor there.

4. Click the little pop-up, and your quote will appear right where you want it.  Proceed as usual.

I realize that looks complicated, but it's a lot easier to do than to describe.  I'd advise having this post up in another tab the first time you do it, so you can refer to it one step at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Carol.  :smile:  I've actually tried that before a few times, but the pop-up disappears as soon as I navigate to a new page...?  :bemused:

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Thanks Carol.  :smile:  I've actually tried that before a few times, but the pop-up disappears as soon as I navigate to a new page...?  :bemused:

Thanks for reminding me -- that fooled me a few times too, so I should have mentioned it.  The pop-up won't be visible after you navigate to an index page, but once you arrive in the new thread, it'll magically reappear.

I guess the reason is that you can't post a quote on an index page, only on a thread page.

• Thanks 1