Help with the new look Sherlock Forum!

Undead Medic

Hello, 

You have all probably noticed that we have a fresh new look. This thread is for all of your questions about how to use the new site.

I hope it's not too confusing for everybody, but the old software had reached its end of life, and was no longer receiving security updates.

So if you have any difficulties then fire away, and we will attempt to answer them.

:)

• Like 2

Hi Tim,

I’m sure that even the world’s worst technophobe (me) will get the hang of the new set up. 

Ive just clicked ‘submit reply’  but it’s come up saying ‘the value entered includes a character that is not allowed such as an Emoji.’  I’ve noticed that J.P. has added one so is that something that I’ve done wrong?

Which emoji did you (try to) use, Herlock? (describe it, since showing it obviously won't work) There may be some unruly ones among the bunch who don't play nice with the new software. :axe:

Also, yikes you're right, the signatures are gone and I didn't even notice.

I'm being prompted to enter my profile, and ... um ... oh yeah, this emotie :P ... okay, never mind. In another post it was just the code, but now I see the emotie. I think I'll go back to doing something else....

3 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

One more question Tim. Can we ‘edit signature’ on here, with my Sherlock Holmes emoji’s?

3 hours ago, Caya said:

Which emoji did you (try to) use, Herlock? (describe it, since showing it obviously won't work) There may be some unruly ones among the bunch who don't play nice with the new software. :axe:

You should now find that the signatures are back. If emoticons don't show up correctly simply edit your signature and re-save without making any changes, and they should be re-cached.

• Like 1

Your signature can be accessed by clicking on the top right menu (The one with your user name on it), and selecting "Account Settings"

3 hours ago, Caya said:

It was the thumbs up which is on my iPad keyboard. I use it regularly. It’s not a problem if it doesn’t work on the new set up though. 

‘I’ll try it again........nope it still won’t allow it.

The signature is back. Cheers Tim.

I like the new format Tim. New things always take a while to get used to. Especially if you’re a caveman like me. 

I just tried a smiley emoji from my keyboard and it won’t accept it so it looks like it’s something to do with my pad maybe? It’s not important at all. :D I’ll use the ones one here.

:adler: oh ......I say old chap:lovedoc:

Just to add....well done Tim....an edit function that will save me from the dreaded predictive text.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Undead Medic said:

Your signature can be accessed by clicking on the top right menu (The one with your user name on it), and selecting "Account Settings"

Cheers Tim.

Testing Apple emojis ❤️😒👌☺️😊😘😭😩💕😔😏

If I'm recalling correctly, Tim, the Apple emoties are visible only to people who have them on their own system.  I could never see them till I got a smart phone.  So it may be best to stick with A} the forum's own emoties and/or B} small embedded GIFs (such as I suspect J.P. is using.

Added:. Tim, I can see the Apple emoties in your first post above, but whatever you used in your second post shows up as just a row of little boxes with X's in them.

Added again:  I'm on my laptop now, and can see the second batch.

I’ll put a few emojis in from my keyboard ☹️😀👍🙂😉

they work?  Could I have been doing something wrong? No matter,

I can see both Herlock's and Tim's (both posts), and I'm writing (and reading) this from a Windows 7 PC, so whichever standard they are, it's not Apple-only.

I’ve just looked on the ‘recently watched movies’ thread. One of my post begins ‘I have a friend (well I have more..........then it’s cut off. It was a longish post I think. I only posted it once but it’s repeated later in the thread. Hikari then quotes it (in its truncated form) but her reply isn’t shown. This afternoon I made a long post on the same theme which doesn’t now appear ( I wonder if this is something to do with the fact that I might have posted it as you were moving over to the new layout?

Herlock, that fooled me at first also -- I believe what you saw first is the little preview.  Then when you scrolled down, you saw see the complete post.  (I'll get used to this new software one of these days....)  Not sure about the missing post -- you may well be right.  Maybe Tim will know.

35 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I’ll put a few emojis in from my keyboard ☹️😀👍🙂😉

they work?  Could I have been doing something wrong? No matter,

I changed the settings on the database, hence why they now work. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should they be visible to everyone now, Tim, or just to people who have those emoties on their own computer/device?

5 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Should they be visible to everyone now, Tim, or just to people who have those emoties on their own computer/device?

As far as I know they shouldn’t be device specific.

Oh, good!  So I can use the Apple (or whatever they are) emoties when I'm posting on my phone.

Hmm, I see that there are now forum emoties available on phones -- but only a few of them, nowhere near all the emoties.  Is there some way to get at the rest -- other than typing in the colon codes (assuming that those still work)?

I'm on a laptop with Windows 10 and I'm seeing them. The emoties, I mean.

Just a note for anybody using TapaTalk, I will be re-enabling TapaTalk functionality in the next couple of days.

• Thanks 1