Sherlock or Holmes locations

I’ve said this before but mods please feel free to move this and please feel free to give it a better title. I just thought that it might be of some interest to have a thread showing some of the locations Sherlock and the Holmes stories (maybe not just the specific locations but the surrounding area too?). It’s just someone in  London filming a walk between Embankment Tube Station and Temple Tube Station. Around 7 minutes there’s a location that all will recognise.👍

• Like 2

Great idea for a thread, Herl!  Since you probably get to areas of SH's haunts more often than any of us, I hope you will post more.

"Sherlock" OR "Holmes" . . . makes it sound like he's got something of an identity crisis, innit.  LOL

I guess there are "Holmesians" who abhor being called "Sherlockians" . . but I think that's an unbearably stuffy attitude, so I swing both ways (haha--only in this way, mind.)  'Sherlockian' seems to be the more common usage here in America . .owing no doubt to that infamous American overfamiliarity you Brits like to common upon.  :) Though I see that first name usages seem to be common among 21st century Londoners as well.

33 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Where Sherlock met John.

https://youtu.be/6fQV_hAYRuc

That is a beautiful park.  I got so happy when the red double-decker bus went by.  As I'm sure you know, the red double decker buses say "London" to Americans more than any other landmark except perhaps Big Ben.  (Now called Elizabeth Tower.  Not quite the same ring to it . .)

Since this is Russell Square, I think this is more likely the place where Sherlock met Moriarty, don't you?

Hikari, that was an enormous ‘oops’ on my part! What I should have typed was ‘where John met Mike Stamford.’

I haven’t a clue why I type otherwise. Sorry all.

29 minutes ago, Hikari said:

Great idea for a thread, Herl!  Since you probably get to areas of SH's haunts more often than any of us, I hope you will post more.

"Sherlock" OR "Holmes" . . . makes it sound like he's got something of an identity crisis, innit.  LOL

I guess there are "Holmesians" who abhor being called "Sherlockians" . . but I think that's an unbearably stuffy attitude, so I swing both ways (haha--only in this way, mind.)  'Sherlockian' seems to be the more common usage here in America . .owing no doubt to that infamous American overfamiliarity you Brits like to common upon.  :) Though I see that first name usages seem to be common among 21st century Londoners as well.

Thanks Hikari,

I’ve been lucky enough to visit many of the Holmes/Sherlock sites. I’ve sat at the table outside Speedy’s that’s right next to Sherlock’s door. I even saw someone go inside. He had to wait for tourists to move away. He took it with a smile though.

This ones a near miss. Eaton Square London. The house that we’re interested is just off screen to the right at 13 seconds.

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

Hikari, I'm pretty sure that Herlock means (and please correct me if I'm mistaken, Herlock) to make a distinction between places mentioned in canon ("Holmes") and places shown in the TV show ("Sherlock").  At least, that's been a fairly common way to distinguish the two, here on this forum.

That’s right Carol/Hikari.

After all this time it still feels a little strange to have to separate the two but I feel it’s as well to do it. Especially on here where the majority of posters are fans of Sherlock but not the original. And best in my opinion (sorry guys, couldn’t resist it😀)

‘As for ‘Sherlockian’ or ‘Holmesian,’ either does the job I suppose. I think ‘Sherlockian’ sounds better🙂

Im always a little wary of these titles though. If someone calls me a ‘Sherlockian’ I get a little self-conscious that they’re labelling me as an expert when I’m far from it. As you know Hikari, there are some real experts out there (David Marcum for one.) 

When I went on a Sherlock Walk in London recently (based largely on Sherlock with some Canon and movies thrown in) the guide asked me about my interest. When I told her that I was a member of The Sherlock Holmes Society Of London she treated me like the oracle for the rest of the walk (I don’t think people realise that anyone can join. Even me👍. It was all in good spirit though and quite funny. She kept trying to catch me out with questions which I answered with a little “and did you know that....etc”

I do dislike the term Ripperologist though. It sounds more than a little silly. It also makes some people think that you are somehow a ‘fan’ of a deranged mutilator of women. 

Which I’m not by the way😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I'm guessing the video above this one shows the doorfronts from Scandal in Belgravia, and this one shows the interior? Although I'm afraid I'm not very attentive to interiors, it could be Molly's kitchen for all I know. :P But the caption sort of gives it away.....

The row of houses are from a Scandal In Belgravia as you said Arcadia. Irene Adler’s house is just off scene to the right. The other one though, with the interior photographs, is Boscobel Place which is where they filmed the scene where Sherlock asks John to ‘punch me.’

• Thanks 1

You know, it's funny, I always just assumed the "punch me" incident took place right outside Irene's. Well, not right outside, but just around the corner, so to speak.

One of my all time favorite scenes, by the way.

• Like 1

Boscobel Place is off Elizabeth Street in Belgravia not far from the Adler residence or from Lord Lucan’s house.

This short video is a walk along Elizabeth Street. At 2.26 there’s is a turning on the right that might be Boscobel Place but it’s hard to read the street sign. Too blurry. It looks like ‘something’ Place though. And the word could be ‘Boscobel.’

Now that one, I knew. It almost looks like they borrowed some Sherlock scenes for that video. :P

7 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

I walked past [Tower 42] unintentionally last year and thought to myself ‘that looks familiar.’

Oddly enough, I've never had quite that experience!

However, during my limited time in the UK, I have intentionally visited several Sherlock filming locations, and that was plenty weird enough -- like I'd walked into my television.

• Like 1

It’s always a strange experience. Especially if at first you dont recognise where you are and someone else points it out. I stood outside of the building that was used as The Diogenes Club in TPLOSH. Also the one that was used as the theatre at the beginning of Murder By Decree. Both near to each other. If I go to London this year I might make a bit of a list of places to find.

Check out Sherlockology.com -- they have an extensive list of filming locations for BBC Sherlock, generally with the exact address.

• Like 1

I have been looking there Carol👍 Then I’ve tried to find the locations on YouTube. As you know people often post videos of them walking around London.

I found this one. It’s two lads visiting locations. They’re a bit annoying ( you may say ‘cute’) but they find some locations. The fillings not great though. You may find the fast forward option useful.