Possible Spoilers: MF in "Cargo"

Carol the Dabbler

On 5/10/2018 at 7:58 AM, Pseudonym said:

Cargo has popped up on Netflix, but they seem to be keeping it quiet and not pushing it, which makes me think it's likely not very good and they know it. I'll give it a watch when I get a chance.

Maybe loads of people are watching Cargo, so they don't feel a need to push it?  It had already been filmed, so they must have watched it before they snapped it up.

Anyhow, please let us know what you think of it.

NOTE 1:  There may be minor spoilers visible in this thread.  If you prefer to avoid spoilers entirely, you can still talk about this movie in the Martin Freeman News thread (but please, no spoilers whatsoever in that thread).

NOTE 2:  Any significant spoilers in this thread MUST be enclosed in spoiler boxes (use the "eye" icon).

NOTE 3:  The contents of spoiler boxes may be briefly visible while a page loads, so you may want to avert your eyes.  This may also apply to the Activity and Unread Content pages.

NOTE 4:  This post and the next few were split off from the Martin Freeman News thread on 19 May 2018.

It's not showing up on the front page or in the newly added content, it's only when you actually type it in a search that it shows up. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen reports it's incredibly sad. I'm not good at watching sad stuff. :(

Watching it now. Not sure if I’ll be able to watch all of it. But definitely not an ‘attack of the zombies’ they’re coming out of everywhere from the beginning type flick which is nice.

• Thanks 1

*sigh*   :nope_sad:

Keeping my fingers crossed for a DVD.

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

You just HAVE to watch Cargo. Finally something that was up to Martin's talent.

I thought all along that it sounded like a really juicy role for him.  Glad to hear I wan't wrong!  Guess it'll be worth waiting for.  :smile:

I’m expecting it to have the same feel as The Last of Us. I’m guessing none of you have ever played that? It’s much more emotive than any other game I’ve played, I was crying in the first five minutes. 

There are scary bits in that, but most of it just gets you like a sucker punch in the gut. Plus, you know, man/kid/zombies. 🧟‍♂️🧟‍♀️🧟‍♂️

Carol, are you sure? I just posted a couple of spoilers, and they didn't show up on the Activity page. Maybe it's another difference between phone and laptop, but for me at least, the spoiler box does its job.

I've never seen that happen, but I recall somebody saying they'd seen inside the spoiler box.  Maybe it was when the Activity page first comes up, when you can see pretty much the whole post.

But if you guys aren't seeing that, I'll edit out my no-spoilers requests and add a warning to the thread title.  And then I won't be back!

Netflix has been issuing DVDs of (for example) its Orange Is the New Black series, but only after each season has been available for streaming for a year.  So I'm hoping to see Cargo DVDs in Amazon next May.  *sigh*  I could sign up right now for the Netflix DVD-through-the-mail service, but I get the impression that those DVDs are merely ones that are already commercially available.  I'll check into that a little more, but I'm not holding out much hope.  :(

I'm not a big fan of Martin. What I have seen of him apart from Hobbit seems to be the same bloke put in different situations.

BUT

When he's on his best, there is something in his playing emotions that's literally something in my beeping genes resonating with it. It's physical. This was the case in the "He's my friend" and "not dead" scenes in Sherlock. For me Cargo felt like those two scenes expanded to over an hour.

The story itself - I think - is suitable for a discussion about… how was it? Impressionistic writing? Because after the first viewing I think I've seen a lot of logical glitches. And it's still a good movie nonetheless.

AND I'm setting my Unread Content and All Activity pages to Condensed Format!  :D

Thanks for your comments on the Freeman Resonance, J.P. --- I've seen a review or two that said similar things, something about "quiet intensity."  This sounds *so* like my kinda movie.  Maybe I'll move into an apartment that has cable internet.  Just till I've watched Cargo a few dozen times.

I can technically get Netflix, yes -- but our internet service is kinda medium-speed at best, and in the evening (when all the neighbors get home from work/school) it tends to bog down completely.  So any kind of streaming service would be iffy at best.

However -- it just occurred to me that the service here at Mom's (where I spend a good bit of time taking care of her) is fairly fast and fairly reliable.  Not ideal, since when I'm here, I need to keep tabs on Mom, and may need to jump up at a moment's notice, so I couldn't allow myself to become fully immersed in the movie.  But I'll give it some thought.  :smile:

Say, if you guys could use spoiler boxes when you're discussing things that happen in the movie, we could also keep discussing stuff that's movie-related (but not spoilery) in this thread.  OK?

Well, at least the government seems to be doing something meaningful.  The situation is intrinsically yeesh.

What is this "In cinemas May 17" about?  Did I miss something???!  Lemme see if those hashtags (which certainly do not belong there, in-universe!) get me anywhere.  Oh, I see -- it's been in theaters in Australia.  The rest of the world is advised to see it on Netflix.

Wonder what the airfare is?

• Haha 1

Was it made in Australia? Do they not have a film distribution system? Losers. :P 

I gather that "on Netflix" no longer necessarily means "on DVD." Sigh. I like DVDs, the quality is good, they're easy to use, and they don't take up much space. And if I wait awhile I can usually find the ones I want cheap. Booo, progress.

Netflix will still send you physical DVDs if you prefer them over streaming.  But after a brief look through their DVD section, I have come to the (possibly hasty) conclusion that it does not include their current exclusives.  My guess is that they're the same DVDs that we could buy right now on Amazon.

They do offer at least some of their exclusives on DVD (through the usual retail channels) -- but only after they've been on streaming for about a year.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Cargo will therefore show up on Amazon next spring.

Or maybe I'll see if their streaming service will work at Mom's.  (It's hard enough to get the forum to load at my house!)

Added:  Yes, Cargo was filmed in Australia.  It may not have been filmed by an Australian company, though.  And whoever they were, they sold exclusive rights to Netflix.  :(

A year?...…..  And yet mainstream Hollywood movies are out on DVD almost before they leave the theaters ….

I guess they figure they'll do everything they can to "force" us to pay for streaming. And as soon as we do, they'll come up with something "better" to charge us for instead …. sigh. You'd think I'd be used to it by now......

• Sad 1