Photographs, posting and witchcraft!

Ok chaps I’ve asked this kind of question before but seeing Photo Bucket being discussed I need the lowdown.

i always have problems posting pictures on Forums ‘file too large’ is the usual issue. Is an app like PB the answer to my problems? 

Questions.

1) If I downloaded one of these apps (are they called ‘image hosting?) would that mean that I could take any image from there and post it on here, for example, without it telling me that the file was too large?

2) Would it also mean that I would be able to post more pictures before being told that I was at my capacity.

3)  Which is the best app to go for?

4)  Do you need a PhD in Computer Science to use them?

I don’t have any real need to post loads of pictures but it would be nice to to do it. I was even thinking of a thread of photographs if I have my annual London break later this year. I was going to call it “Herlock’s London Odyssey 2018.

OK, first off, Photobucket etc. are not apps, they're websites that you need to join, just as you joined this forum -- except that some of them charge a monthly or annual fee.  (Some of these image-hosting sites may also want you to download their app if you're on a phone, but that's just to help you communicate with the website.)

Next, the difference between what you've been doing and what you're now talking about doing is *where* the image is stored.  The way you've been doing it (or attempting to do it) is called embedding -- the image is stored on the same website (such as this forum) that it's visible on.  With third-party image hosting, the image resides on one website (e.g., Photobucket) but is visible on another (e.g., this forum) via a method called hot linking.  The image looks like it's in your post, but it's actually on (e.g.) Photobucket.

I'm gonna post this much, and continue below.

• Thanks 2

Onward to your questions:

1. Yes, if you store an image on (e.g.) Photobucket, you can display it on this forum, no matter how big it is (there are practical limits of course, but you won't encounter them).

2. Right again.  Any capacity limits would be between you and (e.g.) Photobucket, and their smallest plan gives you 2 gigabytes (i.e., 1,000,000 kilobytes).  For your purposes, that's infinite.

3.  The best image-hosting site?  I wish I knew.  Right now I'm on Photobucket simply because I put my pictures on there back when it was free, and they finally came down to a reasonable fee.  Some hosting sites don't want you to hotlink to them, so be careful about that.  You might want to check out a site called TinyPic.  It's free and as I recall it's easy to use.  I haven't used it much, though, and it's owned by Photobucket (but I seriously doubt that they'd try any dumb stunts again).  At least you could play around with it without paying anything.

4.  No, you most definitely do not need a PhD in computer science.  I have no PhDs whatsoever and no degrees in computer science either, and I manage.  Some sites do have their quirks, of course.  If you find yourself stumped, just come back here and tell us what you're having trouble with.

• Thanks 2

Am I misreading but PhotoBucket appears to be $29.99 per month or $69.99 for a year? 

Surely that cant be right?

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You're absolutely right, that's wrong.  Where did you see those figures?

http://photobucket.com/plans/

The "Beginner Plus" plan, with two gig of storage and third-party image hosting, is $29.99 per year.*  The higher price is for the intermediate plan with twenty gig.

What sort of images are you planning to save?  Are they photos that you've taken, and if so, are you taking them with your phone or with a camera?

I've think you posted at least one picture already.  Can you tell me what thread that was on?

* Added: That yearly price has gone up $3 since Saturday.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The "Beginner Plus" plan, with two gig of storage and third-party image hosting, is $29.99 per year.*  The higher price is for the intermediate plan with twenty gig.

What sort of images are you planning to save?  Are they photos that you've taken, and if so, are you taking them with your phone or with a camera?

I've think you posted at least one picture already.  Can you tell me what thread that was on?

* Added: That yearly price has gone up $3 since Saturday.

The pictures that I’d consider posting would be ones taken on my phone whilst in London (if I go.)

I did post a photograph of one of my portraits Carol but I can’t find it. I saw it the other day but I can’t recall what thread it’s on, sorry.

In general, I think phone pictures have lower resolution than digital-camera pictures.  My phone is only a year or two old, and its photos seem to run about a quarter meg, meaning that PB's Beginner+ plan gives me room for about 8,000 of them.

Herlock, isn't your icon one of your drawings?

@Arcadia -- I'm pretty sure the forum uploads our avatar picture directly from our computer.  So no need for a hosting site as middle-man.

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Herlock, isn't your icon one of your drawings?

It is Arcadia 👍

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, HerlockSholmes said:

Ok chaps I’ve asked this kind of question before

This comment has nothing to do with PhotoBucket which I do not claim to understand and am happy not to think about . . .my question is linguistic (as it so often is!)  Is 'chaps' synonymous with the American 'guys'?  As in, it applies to mixed groups?  I'm guessing so, seeing as 90% of the posters  here aren't 'chaps' in the biological sense.  But I think we Yanks go one better (or worse, possibly) . . .not only is it acceptable to address mixed groups of males and females as 'you guys', but groups that are 100% females are also 'You guys', in the most casual settings.  I've always thought it was weird, when I thought about it, but I do it, too, all the time.

Happy to be your chappie, Herl.  :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hikari said:

....not only is it acceptable to address mixed groups of males and females as 'you guys', but groups that are 100% females are also 'You guys', in the most casual settings.

Ya gotta be careful, though.  A very amiable (male) friend of mine was once scolded for addressing some knee-jerk "PC" women as "you guys."

But yeah, in general the plural "guys" is more-or-less gender-neutral unless it's explicitly masculine (as in "guys and gals").  The singular "guy" is nevertheless masculine, at least so far.  And all of the above are casual terms.

Added:  Unlike "you guys" and "those guys," I think "the guys" is generally understood to be masculine.

I have three female friends who I always see when they are together. I often call them chaps but it’s meant humourously (I also call them ‘you blokes.’) In reality I was wrong to use it on here because it’s not like the word ‘guys’ which can be applied to both sexes these days. My friends know that I’m joking.

Im not a fan of the the current obsession with stuff like ‘herstory’ and ‘peoplekind.’ Sounds far too much like thoughtcrime to me. I’ll probably be considered Herlock The Caveman but I also get irritated when people say that someone ‘identifies as...’ There are too many important things in the world that need rectifying without wasting time on pointless trivialities.

sorry, rant over😃

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

@Arcadia -- I'm pretty sure the forum uploads our avatar picture directly from our computer.  So no need for a hosting site as middle-man.

I know, old chap, but I was responding to Herlock's "only posted one of his drawings" remark. He's got two! The other one's his avatar. Bada boom. :P 

I've only ever heard one woman object to the use of "you guys". She had a point, but still … I agree, more important things to get upset about. May I borrow the bag?

• Like 1

The friend I mentioned was handing out brochures and asked this particular group if "you guys" would like some.  Their response was "We're not guys, we're women!" -- which strikes me as haughty and/or elitist.  I mean, if I ever wanted to object to that sort of thing, I'd probably say (with a smile) Hey, I'm not a guy, I'm a gal!

But then I've always been a stickler for parallel construction.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use “you guys” all the time, for men and women.  I’ve used it here to address all of you (mostly women).  To me it’s gender neutral and I’ve pretty much stopped caring if anyone is offended.  *Shrug*  Guess I’ve lost patience for other people’s nitpicking.

• Like 1

Herlock, might I suggest signing up on Tumblr or Blogspot or another similar site, posting your images there, and hotlinking them from there using the image link?  I link almost all of the images I post here from Tumblr, Pinterest, or various other sites I end up on through Google Images.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1