Wonder Woman (spoilers)

I thought last year's Wonder Woman movie was pretty good.  I especially liked Chris Pine (who also plays Kirk in the Trek reboots) and Lucy Davis (Dawn in The [original British] Office) in their roles, Steve Trevor and Etta Candy, respectively.

I didn't know much about the history of Wonder Woman, so I read the Wikipedia page.  Now I am a bit puzzled.

NOTE:  I am assuming that anybody reading this thread has already seen the 2017 movie.  If you have not, this is a warning that I'm about to enter spoiler territory.

According to that Wikipedia page, Steve and Etta have been standard characters since the beginning.  But the 2017 movie not only "kills" Steve (in quote marks because we don't see the body), it's basically a flashback to 1917. 

If they planned to continue in 1917, they could reveal (in next year's sequel) that Steve parachuted out of the doomed airplane at the last second and hit his head upon landing, thus not remembering even his own identity for a while, and also conveniently forgetting that Wonder Woman and Diana Prince are one and the same.

But it appears that the story will continue in the present day, in which case Steve and Etta are both long dead.  Will the characters simply be dropped?  Will their places be taken by their great-grandchildren (conveniently also named Steve and Etta)?  Dropping the characters would be like killing off Lois Lane, so I doubt they'll do that.  I would love to see Pine and Davis back.  But it's kind of a mystery to me at the moment.

What do y'all think they'll do?

Oh, fer Pete's -- I just realized that Etta Candy's name is a pun, as in "I et [ate] a candy" -- because the character is traditionally plump and fond of sweets.  Sheesh.

I'm very certain that they would continue in present day,  therefore dropping those characters.

Reason being, Wonder Woman is considered the most successful and well received installment in DC universe, I predict they would want to use it to bring up the rest of the franchise, therefore creating cameos for other characters like Batman, Superman etc just like what Marvel does (as in Dr.Strange & Hulk appear in Thor, Tony Stark in Spiderman etc etc), keeping those characters fresh and smoothen their path for another Justice League movie.

Also, bringing Steve back from the dead would be too cheesy, and cheapen the first movie. I also think he has served his purpose, and for that, Diana still remembers him. Don't think they would be replaced by their descendants, don't see much point to that except maybe a very small role, something for sentimental value but not the main story line.

That being said, I actually know nothing about Wonder Woman outside the movie. XD

I actually know nothing about Wonder Woman outside the movie.

I've never made any real attempt to follow the character, but I'm pretty sure I happened to see a few episodes of the TV show (maybe my roommates had it on?) and might have glanced through a comic book or two.  In any case, the name Steve Trevor was vaguely familiar.

Judging by what I've read online recently, Steve has been a major supporting character in just about every incarnation to date.  The television show started out as a period piece (the 40's, though, WWII) with Steve Trevor and Etta Candy, and then switched to modern day for the second season, at which point it featured Steve Trevor Jr. (played by the same actor) but dropped Etta.

I hope they somehow keep at least one of them for the movies, because as I said, Steve and Etta were by far my favorite characters in the first one, and if neither of them continues, I doubt I'd have much interest in seeing the subsequent installments.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's apparently official that Steve Trevor is a character (and not just a flash-back) in the second Wonder Woman movie, which is set in the 1980's.  I would guess (as do several online blogs) that he's the grandson of the first movie's Steve.

With the question then being, when did Steve have kids?  Chris Pine said in an interview (here) that in his head-canon, Steve had been married and had kids, before something happened that soured him on home life and made him join the military.  He was certainly shown as old enough, with graying temples.

Also, maybe (as I've said before) the original Steve did not die when the plane exploded.  Note that we did not see the body, so it's possible (this is a movie, after all) that he parachuted out at the last second and was taken in by a German family, in which case Steve Jr. could have been born a bit later.

No word yet on Etta Candy, though.  :(

• Thanks 1

I heard it will be set in 80-ies, yes.

But I don't knowwwww, although I enjoy Chris Pine's performance, having his grand son or something, if it's meant to be love interest, fell incestuous? Ew??

Ewwwww!

And I'd prefer the original Steve not to have a fling before he finds back Diane, I'm a romantic actually :P or gahhhh.. . another dead but not dead scenario. :bemused:

I doubt that he'll be Diana's love interest this time.  Even if he happens to be just like his grandfather, she will be fully aware that he's *not* his grandfather.  So yeah, it would feel weird to her too.

According to what I've read on Wikipedia, their relationship has already been quite a few different things, not only in filmed adaptations, but even in the comics.

I hope so, sometimes Hollywood can't resist opportunity for romance, especially when the characters have good chemistry.

I'm not sure about Wonder Women history, does she live forever? What a bummer? And keep seeing everyone around you die and die again?

Why doesn't she return to Amazon, it seems like a pretty neat place to live.

It's my impression that the movie Amazons are immortal in the sense that they don't seem to age -- but mortal in the sense that they can be killed.  And WW goes them one better by being the daughter of an Amazon and Zeus.  So yeah, I'd guess that she will live forever.

Maybe she eventually will move back home.  You know, in a few thousand years or so, when she gets tired of playing nanny to mortals.

56 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's my impression that the movie Amazons are immortal in the sense that they don't seem to age

I'd love not aging to, not only from looks but from having a comfortable media where it's physically feasible to do anything you want in any weather, body should stop aging at 25, yes?!

57 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

but mortal in the sense that they can be killed

Ah.... so they are like highlander. 

58 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Maybe she eventually will move back home.  You know, in a few thousand years or so, when she gets tired of playing nanny to mortals.

She must be very kind. It seems like in Justice League it had been almost a century. I'd think anyone like that living among us would get bored and sick of our stupidity. :) 

59 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I'd love not aging to, not only from looks but from having a comfortable media where it's physically feasible to do anything you want in any weather, body should stop aging at 25, yes?!

I think I'd pick 30, but yeah, good point -- shouldn't need to worry about getting cataracts from sun exposure, either.

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

She must be very kind.

I have the impression that she sees protecting humans as her mission.  Life on an idyllic island might get kind of boring after a millennium or two.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:32 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I have the impression that she sees protecting humans as her mission.  Life on an idyllic island might get kind of boring after a millennium or two.

That could be true, although it's gorgeous and there are plethora of fun things to do if we were as fit as her.

I guess after a millennium or two everything would become boring,  I think it would reduce my heart of gold (if it was ever gold) to also get bored with human stupidity that they keep repeating the same mistake and just amuse myself watching them destroy one another. 

Something always disturbs me though. So we saw WW in WWI (right?) and then in modern time she looks exactly the same. 

But we know Amazon women do age. We see older woman and her mother. So during Diane as child growing up her mother ages just like normal, but did we see the same Amazon women in Justice League? I believe so, and also her peers. So what decides the face they are stop aging at? How come some women remain as older woman forever and she remains young forever? I mean, it must have been suck for those who stop aging at older age then?

Just a regular Friday thought. :P

Something always disturbs me though. So we saw WW in WWI (right?) and then in modern time she looks exactly the same. 

But we know Amazon women do age. We see older woman and her mother. 

I can think of a couple of things that might explain this:

1.  In this movie, it's explained that WW is only half Amazon, because Zeus is her father.  So she's presumably a demigoddess, and I'm pretty sure they don't age, once they grow up.  Sort of like Tolkien's elves.

2.  I think they said that the Amazons had not always lived on that island, and I got the impression that the ones we saw were the same ones who originally came there a few thousand years ago.  So maybe the island keeps them from aging any further, but some of them were already older than the others when they came there.  None of them appeared to be really elderly, so as long as they're healthy, I wouldn't think they'd mind.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Having seen the first trailer (below) for WW84, it's my impression that the Steve Trevor in the new movie is the original.  So not only did he survive the airplane explosion (which I've been suspecting all along), but he's somehow avoided aging.  Parachuted into a freezer, maybe?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 6:20 PM, Arcadia said:

Time travel?

Alex has independently come up with basically the same theory.  He suggests that Steve did not parachute out of the plane, and that the explosion blew him (possibly through a wormhole) into the future.

He also found that IMDb now lists a release date of June 5th.

I clicked on the video without the sound, and the only thing that occupies my mind for the whole two minutes is that I would fall flat on my face if I walked out from the car wearing that dress and heels.

The trailer... doesn't look good. It makes me feel nothing, including the intention to watch it, but we'll see.

As for Steve, they don't bother to hide anything in trailers now eh.. or is that supposed to be the selling point? Huh... grmrbbrlrlrrbll...

Instead of time travel, how if his plane actually went through the dimension and he landed on Amazon again? We talked a great deal about aging, maybe some earth inhabitant would not age there too. And then there are some reasons of why Diane (a?) wasn't told about him being there. Busy, knowing that would endanger her, yadda yadda yadda thingy..

6 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Instead of time travel, how if his plane actually went through the dimension and he landed on Amazon again? We talked a great deal about aging, maybe some earth inhabitant would not age there too. And then there are some reasons of why Diane (a?) wasn't told about him being there. Busy, knowing that would endanger her, yadda yadda yadda thingy.

Ooh, I like that!  So he's like a hundred years old, just amazingly well preserved. And that would also explain why 1980's stuff confuses him, 'cause they don't have it on the island.  But it wouldn't require extra-dimensional travel, would it?  I mean, isn't the island in normal space-time, just cloaked somehow?  Or did I miss something in the first movie?

Not really sure, I think it is, but we speculated that they don't age, so maybe human would get the not-aging property if they are trapped in Amazon.

When was Captain America set? He was freezed is it, I didn't watch it, but wait, that is different universe! 🤪

Or maybe. Steve was saved by Diane's enemy, seeing that they could use him to manipulate her in the future. So he is a plant, to unknowingly infiltrate Diane's world before being used as he should which he himself doesn't aware. No? Help me out here!

Or maybe, the plane flew so high that when it exploded it catapulted Steve to Thanos's island where they have this preserving age properties.... or whatever Captain Marvel's planet. Oh different universe. That is Marvel. Oh wait, Krypton! Superman is DC too.

Erm..... You know what Mark Twain said, it's better to keep my mouth shut and appear less foolish with my first prediction that try more and remove your doubt that I'm speaking gilberrish. 

• Haha 1

.... maybe. Steve was saved by Diane's enemy, seeing that they could use him to manipulate her in the future. So he is a plant, to unknowingly infiltrate Diane's world before being used as he should which he himself doesn't aware.

Oh dear, I hope not!  Maybe we'd be better off just waiting till June to find out, instead of continuing to speculate.  (Yeah, sure!  :P )

Speculating is more fun and I don't even know what you two are going on about. Do continue to entertain me, please. :P 

• Tongue 1