Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

Series 1 News

According to something called the High-Def Digest, "In an early announcement to retailers, BBC is working on 'Sherlock: Season One' for 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray on November 6" but "Specs and supplements have yet to be revealed."

Are any of you familiar with this format?  Would the difference between it and regular high-def Blu-ray be noticeable to anyone who doesn't own a theater-size television?  (I kinda suspect it'll sell more based on the extras than on the resolution of the picture.)

Added:  Alex just got home, and tells me that neither our Blu-ray player nor our television is new enough to support the UHD format.  So for us, it clearly boils down to the extras -- assuming that UHD will even play (as regular HD) on our equipment.

According to Wikipedia, "Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are incompatible with existing Blu-ray players."  Well, razzlefrax -- so much for that idea.  Guess it's just a ploy to obsolete the "old-fashioned" Blu-ray machines.

:patpatpat: Someone's bound to post any new content on YouTube. :whistle:

If one looks quick enough, yeah, before the studio has it taken down.  :ph34r:

If I could play the new discs on our Blu-ray machine, I would seriously consider getting them, for two reasons:  a} all we have for Series 1 at the moment is regular DVDs; if these played even as regular hi-def, that'd be nice; and b} they may have some neat new extras.  But if we can't even play 'em, what's the point?  Guess I could save 'em, pending the day when we buy a UHD machine (which would mean, of course, that *that* technology is about to be obsoleted).

• Like 1

I only got a Blu-Ray player around 2 months ago☹️

Ill be needing a new gramophone next. Spend, spend, spend. I’ll have to let one of the servants go☹️

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

If one looks quick enough, yeah, before the studio has it taken down.  :ph34r:

If I could play the new discs on our Blu-ray machine, I would seriously consider getting them, for two reasons:  a} all we have for Series 1 at the moment is regular DVDs; if these played even as regular hi-def, that'd be nice; and b} they may have some neat new extras.  But if we can't even play 'em, what's the point?  Guess I could save 'em, pending the day when we buy a UHD machine (which would mean, of course, that *that* technology is about to be obsoleted).

Carol, I like hearing you say that you’d buy them just to get the extras. You sound almost as nerdy as me with my Holmes collecting👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Flat mate has 4K Ultra machine and some discs and the upgrade is noticeable.  A bit like going from DVD to Blu Ray. Like other folk here I would consider buying if it has new extras. But probably wouldn't invest until I own a 4K player. Which will not occur until my current Blu Ray player bites the dust.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the review, Shabbs -- and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

I'm of two minds about this new format.  1: If the discs have more features, then it might be worth getting a player to use alongside our current DVD and Blu-ray players, but 2: I'm really peeved that DVDs/Blu-rays may be on the studios' to-be-obsoleted list.  Sheesh, I still have a whole bunch of VCR tapes in the basement!

Of course, just because the studios *want* to obsolete the current media doesn't mean that they will succeed.  This could be just another Betamax.  Guess it depends on whether enough people buy the new format.