Doyle canon/pastiche film collection

GodNort1985

I am looking for film adaptations of the stories listed below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. The adventure of the yellow face (memoirs)

2. The adventure of the stockbroker's clerk (memoirs)

3. The adventure of the black peter (return)

4. The adventure of the three students (return)

5. The adventure of the missing three quarters ( return)

6. The adventure of the blanched soldier (casebook)

7. Tje adventure of the lions mane (casebook)

8. the adventure of the veiled lodger ( casebook)

9. The adventure of the retired colourman (casebook)

PASTICHES

1. The field bazaar

2. The story of the man with the watches

3. The mystery of sassasa valley

4. The mystery of uncle jeremys household

5. The case of the man who was wanted

PLAYS

1.the adventure of the tall man

2. Angels of darkness

3. The crown diamond: an evening with sherlock holmes

4. The painful predicament of sherlock holmes

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Now those are tricky questions, and I have difficulty seeing how some might even be adapted ... the lion's mane? Holmes wanders a lot on the beach alone and solves a not-murder, that doesn't exactly make for gripping TV imo. ;)

22 minutes ago, Caya said:

I have difficulty seeing how some might even be adapted ... the lion's mane? Holmes wanders a lot on the beach alone and solves a not-murder, that doesn't exactly make for gripping TV imo.

It's been done, though, at least on radio.  I just googled

television OR film OR radio holmes "lion's mane"

... and got a number of hits.  Not sure how many adaptations that represents, or how many media.

Lions Mane is referenced in an episode of the Cumberbatch/Freeman Sherlock. In one scene as they are walking up the stairs in 221B, they joke about trying to arrest a jelly fish. I know some of these other tales were filmed for the Stoll series starring Eille Norwood. According to my research, every episode of this series is believed to be intact, but the existing copies are owned by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. It would be nice of him to allow dvd or blu ray copies to be made, so they may be preserved for posterity. Also, the Retired Colourman is an episode of the Douglas Wilmer 1965 run. However the set of this series available in the U.S. is one in which the content is on both sides of the disk, and the set i bought on amazon did not function, and based on the customer reviews, that was the issue everyone had.  

I agree that Lions Mane is probably the least likely one to have a film/screen adaptation. Also, some like The Field Bazaar, would probably work best as a small piece with in a large film, or episode, perhaps part of the opening of an episode. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 4:17 PM, GodNort1985 said:

Lions Mane is referenced in an episode of the Cumberbatch/Freeman Sherlock. In one scene as they are walking up the stairs in 221B, they joke about trying to arrest a jelly fish. I know some of these other tales were filmed for the Stoll series starring Eille Norwood. According to my research, every episode of this series is believed to be intact, but the existing copies are owned by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. It would be nice of him to allow dvd or blu ray copies to be made, so they may be preserved for posterity. Also, the Retired Colourman is an episode of the Douglas Wilmer 1965 run. However the set of this series available in the U.S. is one in which the content is on both sides of the disk, and the set i bought on amazon did not function, and based on the customer reviews, that was the issue everyone had.  

I agree that Lions Mane is probably the least likely one to have a film/screen adaptation. Also, some like The Field Bazaar, would probably work best as a small piece with in a large film, or episode, perhaps part of the opening of an episode. 

Welcome, GodNort!

To my knowledge (not nearly as extensive as Herlock Sholmes' for more obscure adaptations), except as radio plays perhaps, the ones you list have not been made into screen treatments.  

I will email your query to the Oracle of David Marcum and see what he says.  If anyone living would know, it's him.  Stay tuned--it usually takes a while for me to get an answer.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 2:33 AM, GodNort1985 said:

I am looking for film adaptations of the stories listed below. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. The adventure of the yellow face (memoirs)

2. The adventure of the stockbroker's clerk (memoirs)

3. The adventure of the black peter (return)

4. The adventure of the three students (return)

5. The adventure of the missing three quarters ( return)

6. The adventure of the blanched soldier (casebook)

7. Tje adventure of the lions mane (casebook)

8. the adventure of the veiled lodger ( casebook)

9. The adventure of the retired colourman (casebook)

PASTICHES

1. The field bazaar

2. The story of the man with the watches

3. The mystery of sassasa valley

4. The mystery of uncle jeremys household

5. The case of the man who was wanted

PLAYS

1.the adventure of the tall man

2. Angels of darkness

3. The crown diamond: an evening with sherlock holmes

4. The painful predicament of sherlock holmes

Hello GodNort,

Looking at your first list of nine I’m guessing that you’ve checked the Grenada series with Jeremy Brett as none of these were adapted there. I think that you are unfortunately destined to be out of luck.

Of these I can tell you that The Retired Colourman is available in the Douglas Wilmer Holmes series which is available in a 4 dvd box set (that I can’t recommend highly enough)but that’s it.

Five Of The others: Yellow Face/Stockbroker’s Clerk/Black Peter/Three Students/Missing Threequaters were all filmed in 1922/3 in silent short movies starring Eille Norwood as Holmes. These movies were bought, along with the entire catalogue of the production company, by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber who now owns them. I’ve written to his Really Useful Company twice to see if he intends to release them but have never received a reply.  And so, at least at the moment, these are unavailable.

I collect tv, film and radio adaptations and so I think that I can tell you with a fairly high level of confidence that none of the pastiches or plays that you have mentioned have ever been adapted.

The Mystery Of The Sassasa Valley isn’t a pastiche. It was the first short story that Doyle had in print. It was published in Edinburgh in 1879 around 7 years before Doyle created Holmes.

I know that this isn’t what you wanted to hear GodNort but I hope that it at least helps in some way. Let me know if I can help with any other info👍

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Hello GodNort,

Looking at your first list of nine I’m guessing that you’ve checked the Grenada series with Jeremy Brett as none of these were adapted there. I think that you are unfortunately destined to be out of luck.

Of these I can tell you that The Retired Colourman is available in the Douglas Wilmer Holmes series which is available in a 4 dvd box set (that I can’t recommend highly enough)but that’s it.

Five Of The others: Yellow Face/Stockbroker’s Clerk/Black Peter/Three Students/Missing Threequaters were all filmed in 1922/3 in silent short movies starring Eille Norwood as Holmes. These movies were bought, along with the entire catalogue of the production company, by Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber who now owns them. I’ve written to his Really Useful Company twice to see if he intends to release them but have never received a reply.  And so, at least at the moment, these are unavailable.

I collect tv, film and radio adaptations and so I think that I can tell you with a fairly high level of confidence that none of the pastiches or plays that you have mentioned have ever been adapted.

The Mystery Of The Sassasa Valley isn’t a pastiche. It was the first short story that Doyle had in print. It was published in Edinburgh in 1879 around 7 years before Doyle created Holmes.

I know that this isn’t what you wanted to hear GodNort but I hope that it at least helps in some way. Let me know if I can help with any other info👍

GodNort,

My apologies at being so un-Holmes-like that i failed to observe the post where you explained that you knew of the Norwood and Wilmer series. 👍

Im guessing that I know where your name comes from. I wonder if anyone else does? ( I’m confident that Hikari will.)

1 hour ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Im guessing that I know where your name comes from. I wonder if anyone else does?

It hadn't occurred to me till I read your post, Herlock, but then a brief Google confirmed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your help. I have found a couple i was looking for specifically, The Crown Diamond: An Evening With Sherlock Holmes (Adaptation "Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century: the mazarin chip"), and the The Adventure of the Tall Man (Adaptation "Sherlock Holmes: the Case of the Tyrants Daughter). The Second one (Tyrants Daughter) is from the 1954 american series starring Ron Howard and Howard  Marion-Crawford. Its a bit of a stretch, i admit, but i think its as close to an adaptation of Tall Man as i'm likely to find. Well, i will keep updating on my progress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have come across two more on my list. First,  "The Veiled Lodger", which occurred in the 'Elementary' episode "The Woman in the Sand Trap".  at the start of the episode Sherlock has returned from a month long stay in Vermont, and asks Joan if she wants  to here about the murdered trapper case he solved, specifically how he proved a scorned woman had attempted to frame a bear. The Second one i found, was "The Lions Mane". This one occurred, again, in 'Elementary', the episode in question, "The Geek Interpreter". As the episode opens, Joan is woken by Wiggins wearing a computer screen of some sort, through which Sherlock holds a conversation with her, while he sits on a hotel bed with Athena , who he explains has helped him solve  the cold case of a man who had stumbled back to the room, and died, the only clue, a set of welts on his body. Sherlock had identified the welts as the product of contact with a Lions Mane Jellyfish. Slow but steady progress, i hope my search continues to be fruitful. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GodNort1985 said:

How does one do that? would a moderator be so kind as to assist. Thank You.

Hi GodNort, I may be slow today but assist with what? I'll be happy to help. :smile:

Hey GodNort, that "moderator must approve" note is just for your first few posts, to make sure you're not a spambot or something. You've already made the required number of posts, so they don't have to be pre-approved any more.

Glad to hear you're finding some of the things you're looking for! Happy New Year to you, too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GodNort1985 said:

I have come across two more on my list. [....] The Second one i found, was "The Lions Mane". This one occurred, again, in 'Elementary', the episode in question, "The Geek Interpreter"....

I thought that might be a typo, so I checked the list of Elementary episodes on IMDb -- and sure enough, they really do have a 2018 episode entitled "The Geek Interpreter" (rather than Conan Doyle's original title, "The Greek Interpreter").  So that's another thing they've apparently borrowed from Sherlock (where it was the title of one of John's blog entries, mentioned in "Scandal in Belgravia").  But I guess Moftiss doesn't have much room to complain, considering how many tidbits they've borrowed from this that and the other Holmes adaptation.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

But I guess Moftiss doesn't have much room to complain, considering how many tidbits they've borrowed from this that and the other Holmes adaptation.

I hope not, since I borrowed it myself! :D 

And now I really do need to do a rewatch of S4, because there were a least a couple things in there that belong in that thread. Ak. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, i have three more adaptions found. First, is "The stockbrokers clerk", adapted in the 'Miss Sherlock' episode "lily of the valley", second is "The Blanched Soldier"  adapted as the B plot in the 'Elementary' episode "Corpse De Ballet", Third and finally 'The Field Bazaar' adapted at the beginning of the 1932 film "The sign of Four' (though in this case its about the shooting of a tiger rather than a fund raising request by watson's alumni. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all. I am back with another update. To be exact I found two more adaptations on my list 1) The Adventure of the Three Students 2) The Painful Predicament of Sherlock Holmes. I found both of these on YouTube, Three students was a production of PRODIGY, the cast all seem to be of Indian descent, and, I believe it was filmed in India as well, given the geography, architecture etc. visible throughout. While it is in English, the actors have fairly thick accents, which at times makes it hard to understand. However, the quality over all  is quite good, and it is an interesting, valid interpretation of the material. The Painful Predicament, is actually a recording of the play put on by the St. James Students ( I admit its a bit of a cheat, but i imagine its as close as I'll get). I have eight more to find,

The Adventure of the Yellow Face

The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter

The Story of The Man With The Watches

Angels of Darkness

The Mystery  of Sasassa Valley

The Mystery of Uncle Jeremy's Household

The Case of the Man Who Was Wanted (A.K.A. The Adventure of the Sheffield Banker)

The Adventure of the Retired Colourman

the quest continues!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Update time!

Well, i now have the retired colourman, first there is the douglas wilmer adaptation, then in season 7 episode 3 (price of admission) of elementary. I have now only seven adaptations to find.

Canonical

1. The yellow face

2. The missing three quarter

Extra canonical

1 the man with the watches

2 angels of darkness

3 the man who was wanted

4 the mystery of sasassa valley

5 uncle jeremys household

These last two are admittedly a great stretch to be considered part of sherlock holmes (even extracanonicaly).

Im currently working my way through murdoch mysteries, it teems with holmesian refrences, and i hope, an adaptation or two. All for now. Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hello all, its been a while since I posted, life getting in the way and all that you know. Firstly I was sadden to read of the passing of Una Stubbs ( Mrs. Hudson in the Cumberbatch/Freeman series). She did such a wonderful job of bringing the character (as written by Gatiss and Moffat) to life, giving her so much more dimension, and making her more integral to the stories than she was in the canon (which is not to say the Mrs. Hudson wasn't important in the canon). you will be missed Una Stubbs rest in peace.

on another note, Ive found another adaptation I was looking for, this one is of the early Doyle Story "The Mystery of Uncle Jeremy's Household", which while not having Sherlock Holmes in it, certainly has a number of correlations to a number of the Holmes stories written later. The adaptation I found is the 'Elementary' episode 'Poison Pen' (2 x 4). This episode is the closest I have found to a screen adaptation of 'Uncle Jeremy'. This leaves me with only six Holmes stories to find screen adaptations of. Specifically:

canonical: 

The Yellow Face

The Missing Three Quarter

extra canonical:

The Story of the Man With The Watches

Angels Of Darkness

Mystery of Sasassa Valley

The Case Of The Man Who Was Wanted

sorry for going so long without an update, in the future i will try to be more regular. 

• Like 1

Hey, GodNort -- good to see you back!

Yes, Una Stubbs' death was quite a loss.  There's an RIP thread in the BBC Sherlock / Cast and Crew section [here].

Congratulations on finding another of your list items.  Of the two remaining canonical stories, Moffat and Gatiss have specifically stated that they don't see how The Yellow Face could be adapted for a modern-day setting.  A straight retelling might seem antiquated, it's true, but the sort of loose adaptation they've been doing for Sherlock should be quite possible.  And of course it could have been done as a period piece.

Anyhow, I wish you continued good luck.  And do feel free to explore other ideas here as well.