Patrick Stewart in new CBS Trek

CBS has yet another Trek in the works for their subscription network.  No title yet, but it follows the post-Next-Gen life of Jean-Luc Picard -- played by Patrick Stewart.

• Like 3

Somehow I can't find it in me to care. All these streaming services and pay-per-view, etc and ad nauseum …. I just can't get interested. I'm really becoming an old fuddy-duddy, aren't I? :( 

Yes, you are.

You and I grew up with "free" television and radio (i.e., paid for by the advertisers), so it bugs us to pay for something that "should" be free.  I will admit to being spoiled by (ad-free) DVDs, and I don't mind paying a certain amount for them -- but then I get to keep them and rewatch as often as I like, whereas I assume the streaming services drop most shows after a while.

I've never really had to think through the pros and cons of streaming services, though, because our current internet service is only medium-speed on a good day.

[rant] We used to have dial-up service, which worked very well in a dial-up world.  But then as higher-speed service became increasingly available, web pages became more complex, making dial-up service effectively slower and slower.  We finally signed up for DSL service with our phone company.  It was great at first, and is still fine for general internet use -- when it's working well.  But it's gotten slower and slower at peak-use times (presumably because the phone co. has added users without upgrading the infrastructure).  And here lately it'll conk out completely at random intervals -- it's sometimes dead as a doornail at 3 a.m., for pete's sake!  The phone service has been getting spottier as well, and right now hasn't worked at all since Tuesday (though the associated internet service is still working, in its usual fits and starts).  We're seriously considering getting community-antenna internet service (if we can actually get a signal at our house), then replacing our landline with voice-over-internet service (so we can keep our current phone number, at least for a while).[/rant]

Yup.

It's almost impossible to NOT get hi-speed internet here; with our booming population, high tech industries, and overall high income levels, there's almost no point in offering anything else. Those who can't (or won't) pay for it are just out of luck; even I have it now. I have the lowest speed available and almost never buffer.

But I still kick against paying extra for entertainment because, quite frankly, based on what I've seen so far, I don't think the quality of the programming is worth what we're being asked to pay for it. I was recently staying at a friend's house, who has premium cable, and couldn't find a single thing that I thought was worth my time to watch. I ended up half paying attention to some show I could get over the antenna. I hardly ever go to movies anymore because afterwards I usually feel ripped off. The handful of internet-only things I've seen … well, if I didn't have internet anyway, they certainly wouldn't have been worth paying for it in order to see them. 

But the quality problem has always been there. Most film and TV has always been junk. But it used to be cheap junk, and now it's expensive junk. Or even more commonly these days, expensive recycled junk. :blink: I'm not convinced this is progress.

Having said all that, this new Star Trek will probably turn out to be genius and be the thing that finally convinces me to pay for streaming.

Or not. 😉

• Like 1

All I can say about it right now is:  Patrick Stewart.  (In other words, I expect it'll be a good show -- but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be *my* kinda good show.)

It seems to me that these days the best recycled shows are on antenna-accessible channels.  We watch more MeTV and Cozi than any other broadcast programs (but mostly DVDs anyhow).

Mmm... okay. I like Patrick Stewart pretty well. But y'know … the only episode(s) of Next Gen that ever grabbed me was Best of Both Worlds. I thought that was excellent. The rest of them eventually left me feeling a little bit like I'd just been lectured at. There was some of that in the original Trek, but it was delivered better, somehow. Maybe because Kirk was a more (deliberately) flawed character? And no one ever quite replaced Spock, imo.

At any rate, I think that explains why I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the possible return of Picard. But maybe they'll get it the way I like it this time, who knows.

I think I know what you mean about the lecturing -- the episodes did tend to have a pretty clear moral.  But that didn't bother me much, as long as I more or less agreed with them, which I usually did.  Sounds like you may have done more rewatching than I have, though, and that could make a difference.  We keep talking about getting the DVDs, but so far I've only seen each episode twice, if that.  (Too bad we don't get BBC America! :P )

Which one was Best of Both Worlds?  Was that the one where Picard dreamed (?) that he was this other man in an alien culture?

The Locutus one, I think.

TNG did get preachy at times, which is one reason why I much preferred DS9 (also: Garak ;)). But Patrick Stewart is one of my all-time favourite actors regardless, and I'm very much looking forward to this.

• Thanks 1

Yep, the Locutus one (or two, depending on how you look at it).

I don't think I saw ALL of the episodes even once. Stopped watching, then started catching up again when it went into reruns, then stopped again, etc.

I think I'm one of the few people (?) that liked Voyager best of the "remakes." Never could get into DS9 at all, although I have a vague impression that it got better as it went along. But I was a convert to Babylon 5 by then, so hey. One space station at a time was enough for me, evidently. And then along came Buffy and everything else paled by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 3:05 PM, Arcadia said:

Mmm... okay. I like Patrick Stewart pretty well. But y'know … the only episode(s) of Next Gen that ever grabbed me was Best of Both Worlds. I thought that was excellent. The rest of them eventually left me feeling a little bit like I'd just been lectured at. There was some of that in the original Trek, but it was delivered better, somehow. Maybe because Kirk was a more (deliberately) flawed character? And no one ever quite replaced Spock, imo.

At any rate, I think that explains why I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the possible return of Picard. But maybe they'll get it the way I like it this time, who knows.

This would have to be my favorite ST:NG episode . . "Elementary, My Dear Data", Starring Data as The Great Detective

This is only a sample; the entire episode is available on YT for 1.99.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

... my favorite ST:NG episode . . "Elementary, My Dear Data", Starring Data as The Great Detective

With Daniel Davis as my favorite Victorian Moriarty!

Eh, I'm really sorry, but ... I remember that episode well, because I disliked it so much I turned it off before it was over. I was turned off by the whole concept of the Holodeck, to begin with. Don't know why.

Maybe that will be an episode of the new Trek: "Luddites in Space!" I'd watch it. :D 

3 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Maybe that will be an episode of the new Trek: "Luddites in Space!"

Surely they've done that already?  Too sleepy to think of an example right now, though.