Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

Favorite movies / favourite films

We seem to have threads for lists of our favorite everything else -- but I didn't see one for favorite movies / films, so here it is!

The idea for this came today when it occurred to me that The Frisco Kid would have to be on my all-time top-ten list.  It stars Gene Wilder as a Polish rabbi lost in the Old West, and Harrison Ford as the professional bank robber who befriends him.  As you might guess, it's funny and quirky, but it also has heart.

Dang, I wish I could put The Hobbit on this list -- but despite a few memorable scenes, the movie that got made just wasn't the movie that it could have been.  :(

Movies (in no particular order) that I'm thinking of adding to my list:

• The Good Night
  • Star Trek IV (The One With the Whales)
  • A Christmas Story
  • The Music Man
  • ... and a bunch more that I'm not thinking of just now.

So what are *your* favorite movies?

• Like 1

Just *one* list? Nah, that'd have to be several. Just off the top of my head:

Serious, or movies that punch you, in a good way:

Cry Freedom
Schindler's List
Shawshank Redemption

Funny/Campy, or movies so good that you don't care how bad they are:

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Princess Bride
A Fish Called Wanda

Nostalgic, or movies that are woven into the tapestry of your youth:

Labyrinth (the Bowie one)
Return of the Jedi
Xanadu

Epic/Other, or movies that you simply liked a lot:

Fellowship of the Ring
Deadpool
Lilo & Stitch (yep, the Disney one)

Think I'll go re-watch one or two now. :lol:

eta: came back to add the first Shrek to the list (also, Pirates of the Carribean - no, there is only one :P). What can I say, I'm a woman of simple tastes :D Also, the original Ghostbusters probably belongs on my Nostalgic list, along with Indiana Jones (I am very much an 80s teen).

Oh, right, The Lost Ark.  And Back to the Future.  But not the sequels to either.

• Like 1

Well, I know Shawshank is always the first one I think of. Brilliant film.

I have a LOT of favorites, but just off the top of my head:

To Kill a Mockingbird, Big Trouble in Little China, The Empire Strikes Back, Buckaroo Banzai, Red River, The Searchers, Rio Bravo, The Black Stallion, 101 Dalmations (animated); Aladdin (animated); Nightmare Before Christmas; Breaking Away; Nausicaa; My Neighbor Totoro; the Full Metal Alchemist movie; the Karate Kid; The Avengers (and I suspect Infinity War will end up on this list some day); It's a Wonderful Life; Mr. Smith Goes to Washington; Back to the Future; the Magnificent Seven; Modern Times; Wall-E; Lawrence of Arabia; the Great Escape; the Philadelphia Story; Toy Story; West Side Story … shall I go on? :P 

And there was this little movie called "Git!" about a boy and a dog that I saw once when I was home sick from school … and I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen. I'd probably think it's awful now, if I could find it. 😞 

8 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

And there was this little movie called "Git!" about a boy and a dog that I saw once when I was home sick from school … and I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen. I'd probably think it's awful now, if I could find it. 😞 

Well, IMDb lists "Git!," so at least you didn't imagine it.

Note:  "Git" is apparently used here with the American meaning, a colloquial pronunciation of "get" in the sense of "get away!" or "get lost!"  In other words, it means "shoo!"

Actually, if I remember correctly, they used "git!" when they were trying to get the dog to chase something. Like, "go git that rabbit!" 

I forgot to mention Jackie Chan movies! I love the funny ones. I think my favorite is Drunken Master. Although there's some sequences in Mr. Nice Guy …..

When the two goons run into each other it just about kills me every time.... (sorry the image quality's so crappy.)

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Actually, if I remember correctly, they used "git!" when they were trying to get the dog to chase something. Like, "go git that rabbit!" 

Oh, OK.  But in any case, it's not used in the British sense.

Right.