Herlock’s London Adventure 2018

9 hours ago, Hikari said:

Sheerluck,

Do I take it that's where you're broadcasting from?

I've never been to Glasgow, but if it produced Craig Ferguson and Peter Capaldi, it can't be all bad.  Even if Craig does say in reference to his homeland, "DAMP is a colour!'  Craig ran off to LaLand and now eats Cobb salad and makes like he's an Angeleno.  I don't begrudge him the craving for sunshine.  Where I grew up, near Cleveland, Ohio might as well be called 'The Glasgow of America'.  Boiled foods, gray skies, big-necked yabbos arguing about football . .(our version).

I particularly am taken with how Glaswegians pronounce the common name for homicide.  'Murder' becomes, exotically "MAHRduhrrrr".  Makes me smile every time.  I even devised a drinking game around the Scottish TV show Taggart set in Glasgow.  Rules were easy--take a drink every time someone said 'MAHRduhhrrr' or MAHRduhhrerrr (the person who commits MAHRduhrrr).  Last one still conscious at the end of the episode wins!

Plus the funniest stand up comedian ever....in my opinion - Billy Connolly.

It’s 9.45 am and I’m sitting on the world’s softest bed in the world’s smallest room listening to the drilling and hammering and shouts of workers in the distance. My suitcase is packed except for my iPad and I’m ready to roll. I’m going across the road to the Italian cafe for an omelette and a coffee then I’ll flag down a taxi to take me to Euston Station. My train is at 12.32 so I’ve plenty of time.

Ive had a great 10 days. The weather has been pretty good for mid-October in England so I can’t complain. If I make it next year I think it’s time to try a new hotel. After a long days walking no one can look forward to 50 stairs up to the room! I’ll shop round.

I love London but I couldn’t live here unless I was rich. Getting around all the time on the underground would test anyone’s sanity. But as I’ve said before, if you love your history, this is a great place. Just behind a modern restaurant you’ll find a 13th century church. An uninteresting looking alleyway reveleals a small square and the pub of your dreams. There’s always something.

So if you haven’t been...try London.

If you like sunbathing......please dont😃

Herlock Sholmes - London - signing off.👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

It’s 9.45 am and I’m sitting on the world’s softest bed in the world’s smallest room listening to the drilling and hammering and shouts of workers in the distance. My suitcase is packed except for my iPad and I’m ready to roll. I’m going across the road to the Italian cafe for an omelette and a coffee then I’ll flag down a taxi to take me to Euston Station. My train is at 12.32 so I’ve plenty of time.

Ive had a great 10 days. The weather has been pretty good for mid-October in England so I can’t complain. If I make it next year I think it’s time to try a new hotel. After a long days walking no one can look forward to 50 stairs up to the room! I’ll shop round.

I love London but I couldn’t live here unless I was rich. Getting around all the time on the underground would test anyone’s sanity. But as I’ve said before, if you love your history, this is a great place. Just behind a modern restaurant you’ll find a 13th century church. An uninteresting looking alleyway reveleals a small square and the pub of your dreams. There’s always something.

So if you haven’t been...try London.

If you like sunbathing......please dont😃

Herlock Sholmes - London - signing off.👍

I suppose by the time you get this, you'll be at home (in the dreary Midlands).  I'm glad you got to make your pilgrimage this year.  You have me salivating more than usual to visit London.

According to Helene Hanff, author of '84, Charing Cross Road', she was told by someone who was familiar with London that visitors tend to find what they go looking for there.  She said, "I'd go for the London of English Literature', and he replied, 'Then it's there.'  Thanks for giving us a small window into a fascinating world.  No wonder Sherlock Holmes loved London so much.  :)

None of our cities here can compare to London for richness.  New York would come closest, but our cities are just not old enough to contain as many layers and stories as does London.

Welcome home, from the dreary Midwest!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hikari said:

I suppose by the time you get this, you'll be at home (in the dreary Midlands).  I'm glad you got to make your pilgrimage this year.  You have me salivating more than usual to visit London.

According to Helene Hanff, author of '84, Charing Cross Road', she was told by someone who was familiar with London that visitors tend to find what they go looking for there.  She said, "I'd go for the London of English Literature', and he replied, 'Then it's there.'  Thanks for giving us a small window into a fascinating world.  No wonder Sherlock Holmes loved London so much.  :)

None of our cities here can compare to London for richness.  New York would come closest, but our cities are just not old enough to contain as many layers and stories as does London.

Welcome home, from the dreary Midwest!

Thanks Hikari👍

I’ve been back home for nearly three hours now. It’s nice to sit in a comfortable chair for a change. There was no chair in my tiny room so I was perched on a far too bouncy bed whilst trying to read.

4 hours ago, Hikari said:

According to Helene Hanff, author of '84, Charing Cross Road', she was told by someone who was familiar with London that visitors tend to find what they go looking for there. [....]

None of our cities here can compare to London for richness.

Maybe you're seeing only what you're looking for.  ;)

There's a well-known phenomenon that people never really get to know their own cities in the same way that tourists do.  While it's true that our cities aren't as old as London (which of course dates back two thousand years to the Roman occupation, if not earlier), age isn't necessarily a requirement for richness.

But that said, I do love London.