Just Joined

Steve

Hi to all

Ive just joined this group. I’m 60 years young and live in the UK and a member of the Sherlock Holmes society. I like most versions of Holmes including Sherlock. But at heart I’m a tradionalist Basil Rathbone was the Holmes a grew up with and for many years I thought the best Holmes then Jeremy Brett came along and just about piped home to the post as far as I was concerned. As for me he captured flavour of the Victorian period. But I also enjoy the modern versions very much. 🕵️♀️

• Like 4

Hi, Steve -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Sounds like you'll fit right in here.

Now -- could you please explain what "piped home to the post" means?  :huh:

Hi Steve, welcome abroad!

What does a member of Sherlock Holmes society get? Does it have anything to do with pilgrimage at Reichenbach Fall?

Do you have your own Diogenes Club and your own deerstalker?

Do you have the right to go up Bart's rooftop to enjoy Bee Gees?  

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Hi to all

Ive just joined this group. I’m 60 years young and live in the UK and a member of the Sherlock Holmes society. I like most versions of Holmes including Sherlock. But at heart I’m a tradionalist Basil Rathbone was the Holmes a grew up with and for many years I thought the best Holmes then Jeremy Brett came along and just about piped home to the post as far as I was concerned. As for me he captured flavour of the Victorian period. But I also enjoy the modern versions very much. 🕵️♀️

Hi, Steve,

Welcome to our little society (and we don't charge dues!)

Hope you enjoy our own version of the Diogenes Club and will stop by often.  The virtual bar is always open, and that's free, too.  :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve said:

Hi to all

Hi Steve,

I’m also a member of The Society. I love Sherlock but like you I’m a traditionalist too. Also like you I grew up with brilliant  Rathbone, followed by Wilmer and Cushing until, for me, the main man, Brett.

welcome to The Forum 👍

6 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hi, Steve -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:  Sounds like you'll fit right in here.

Now -- could you please explain what "piped home to the post" means?  :huh:

Carol, ‘piped’ to the post is a typo.

Steve meant ‘pipped to the post.’  It’s mainly from horse racing  and means the horse who just takes over from the leader at the end to win the race. He just beat him to the finishing post.

51 minutes ago, HerlockSholmes said:

Carol, ‘piped’ to the post is a typo.

Steve meant ‘pipped to the post.’

Oh, well then!  :P

Thanks for the translation.  I guessed it was something with that very, very general sort of meaning (give or take the horse-racing connection), but wasn't all that close.

• Like 1