Sign in to follow this  
Artemis

A Short Story

So this short story was written for my 10th grade mythology class.  The assignment was to pick a mythological figure and write a story about them, in the style of one of our mythology books.  I chose to write a backstory.  Some notes on this:

1) The setting is ambiguous.  It's sort of in a universe of its own, with a mashup of different mythologies and some characters I just made up.  I think it has heavy Greek and Norse influence though.

2) The lofty language is due to the style requirement.  I was fully aware of how lame it sounded, but the assignment was to mimic, lol.

3) If the main character's behavior in particular is sometimes devoid of rationality and not entirely sympathetic, it's because most of the mythological heroes I read about came off to me that way.  They always seemed to do dumb things for dumb reasons with dumb results.

4) I had 2 days to write this, so yeah, it was rushed.

5) It's really just the start of a story.  I had planned more, but there was a page limit, lol.  There are two parts.

There's probably more I could say if I thought about it, but that's good enough for now.  Without further ado...

The Story

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Artemis, have you read Piers Anthony's "On a Pale Horse"? I'm not a big fan of his writing, tbh, but I did thoroughly enjoy that book. Your story sort of reminds me of it, without the silliness. Didn't see the twist ending coming! Pretty darn good for  a 10th grader. Or for an adult, for that matter.

• Thanks 1

No, never heard of it.  :smile:  I’ll have to look it up!

Without the silliness, though?  I thought it rather silly when I read it to myself, lol.  But maybe that’s just me being my own worst critic, because I don’t have an outsider’s view.  It’s hard to be objective with one’s own art, you probably know.

Spoiler

It was fun to return to it, anyway, after all these years.  :happy:

I used to write a lot, but since I could never think of a resolution to any of my stories, just scenes, I finally wandered off into other things. But I still have a bit of a yen to write … or perhaps it's, as the saying goes, to have written. :smile: Lord knows I'd never find the time, now.

If you find "On a Pale Horse" you'll see what I mean by silly. Perhaps humorous would be a better term. There's a whole series of books that follow it, but that one's the only one that really charmed me, partly because it doesn't quite go where you think it will. But Anthony's no stylist, alas.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I used to write a lot, but since I could never think of a resolution to any of my stories, just scenes, I finally wandered off into other things. But I still have a bit of a yen to write … or perhaps it's, as the saying goes, to have written.

I'm like you there.  I would write scenes for stories, but never get around to endings.  Oftentimes I'd never get around to beginnings or scene transitions, either, lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I used to write a lot, but since I could never think of a resolution to any of my stories, just scenes, I finally wandered off into other things. But I still have a bit of a yen to write …

My attempted stories used to fizzle out, too, because I would start with an interesting set-up and then try to come up with something that could happen there.  Then one day I heard about a real-life event that struck me as a possible motive for murder.  I built a story around that motive, layer by layer, and ended up with a pretty good short novel.

Must admit I haven't written much since, but that's my suggestion if you want to write -- start with the reasons that things happen and build outward from there.

• Like 1