Holmes and Watson; the play, by Jeffrey Hatcher

SolitaryCyclist

Here in Indy we have a tremendous theater in the IRT...Indianapolis Repertory Theater.  My sister and I just watched Holmes and Watson, a play written by Jeffrey Hatcher, who also wrote the screen play for Mr. Holmes, starring Ian McKellan.

The play is set between The Final Problem and The Empty House.  Watson is asked by the director of a lunatic asylum to come to the asylum to identify which of three men who claim to be Sherlock Holmes is the real Holmes.  There are shades of the Reichenbach Falls and A Scandal in Bohemia, and a  twist at the end that no one saw coming.   If you should be able to see this play performed, I cannot recommend it too highly.  Entertaining, well acted,  brilliant script and amazing set design.  Theater at its best.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, Beth!  And welcome back!!!  :welcome:

Odd that this play and the Ferrell movie should arise within a year of each other and share the exact same title.  Sounds like the plots couldn't be much different, but it's bound to cause some confusion nevertheless.

Google turns up some theater companies in other places that have also performed the play recently, so no matter where y'all live, it may be coming soon to a stage near YOU!

Not near me, I don't think...though I did go and see another one.

Can't even remember what it was called!

10 hours ago, besleybean said:

Not near me, I don't think....

The play doesn't appear to have been on Broadway, nor have I seen any evidence of touring companies.  So it's basically a matter of hoping that a local community theater or college will produce it.

On 10/13/2018 at 8:16 AM, Arcadia said:

... sounds like something I'd like to see. Maybe someone will make a movie out of it (can't afford plays!)

I suppose I could afford the play (and of course there is a production of it right near me at the moment), but these days I'm too busy/tired to even see many movies in the theater.  I've really been spoilt by DVDs.

Maybe one of these days when I have more free time (and more energy) there'll be another local production of this play.  Or a movie.  It does sound really good.