Star Trek miscellany

Yep, Discovery is on Netflix. Otoh, Lucifer, which is now a Netflix series, is still on Amazon Prime here for some reason. That feudalistic warfare between content providers these days is getting annoying.

Carol, I checked and I misjudged Number One, he's actually a pit bull (quite a large one, which is why I thought he was a staffie): https://intl.startrek.com/news/sir-patrick-stewart-on-why-number-one-is-the-best-good-boy .

eta: He talks about the doggo a bit here (starting roughly at four minutes in):

• Like 1

Yet one more reason to applaud the man -- he's championing the current plight of pit bulls, who are often (sometimes legally) condemned as "dangerous" (because in the past they've been *trained* to be dangerous).  There's a pit bull who now and then wanders onto our property, and he's just the sweetest fellow, whereas I was once prevented from taking a misdelivered piece of mail to the neighbor's house by their overzealous dog -- a dachshund.

• Like 2

Yeah, the only dog that ever bit me (and that's coming from someone who's owned multiple rescued Rottweilers and whose family had other big dogs like Dobermans) was a Yorkshire Terrier - to be fair, he did warn me first, I just ignored him because I was tired and wasn't gonna let the little bugger stop me from entering my own home (he was there with a visitor of my mom's). He clamped onto my trouser leg next to my ankle and did his darndest to stop me. :lol:

That dachshund didn't get an opportunity to bite me, because thank goodness there was a nice chain-link gate in the way.  Another time, something in the Rottweiler/German shepherd category apparently wanted to play, and grabbed my ankle between his teeth, scuffing up my skin a bit.  But the only dog that ever actually bit me was some kind of little yapper.  I was driving home and saw the neighbor's dog (which was normally fenced in) standing in the middle of the road, so I pulled over and went to pick it up to take it home, and the darned thing sank its tiny teeth into my little finger.  Fortunately its shots were up to date.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:25 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

But the only dog that ever actually bit me was some kind of little yapper. 

Same here. My grandparents got a little dog that they doted on (can't remember what kind it was) … the rest of us hated that thing. :D But at least it taught me to be wary of small dogs at an early age. Big dogs love me, for some reason.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Big dogs love me, for some reason.

Don't big dogs love everybody?  :D  (Not to say that you aren't loveable!)

23 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Don't big dogs love everybody?  :D  (Not to say that you aren't loveable!)

Do they? Seriously, I don't know much about dogs except they seem attracted to me more than I am to them. I always make nice with friendly dogs, just to please their owners, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they (the dogs) (the owners too, usually 😄 )  just ignored me.

My Dad, on the other hand … dogs didn't like him much at all, although he seemed to adore them. We'd take walks together, and the neighborhood dogs would slobber all over me, but growl (and sometimes nip) at Dad. I always assumed it was because he was male and I wasn't, but who knows.

• 1 month later...

https://ew.com/tv/star-trek-picard-episodes-free-online/

Well, more or less free - from what I've understood, the coupon code "GIFT" gives you a free month of CBS All-Access. Might be a good time for that, though.

While we're at Star Trek news, Captain Pike's getting his own show: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/star-trek-pike.html . :bouncy: Very much looking forward to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Caya said:

Well, more or less free - from what I've understood, the coupon code "GIFT" gives you a free month of CBS All-Access. Might be a good time for that, though.

I saw that announcement yesterday!  I’m pretty happy about that, it was really nice of them to do.  CBS All-Access is one streaming service I haven’t been willing to pay for yet, lol.  I’m taking a stand against all this streaming-only content!  :P 

Now I just have to work up a binge-TV mood... I’ve been bored with everything lately.

8 hours ago, Caya said:

Captain Pike's getting his own show: https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/star-trek-pike.html . :bouncy: Very much looking forward to this.

And Spock's in it.  And Number One.  Shades of The Cage (the first Original Series pilot)!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 6:13 PM, Artemis said:

I saw that announcement yesterday!  I’m pretty happy about that, it was really nice of them to do.  CBS All-Access is one streaming service I haven’t been willing to pay for yet, lol.  I’m taking a stand against all this streaming-only content!  :P 

Now I just have to work up a binge-TV mood... I’ve been bored with everything lately.

And you were just encouraging me to get Disney! :D 

That really is another component, though, of me not wanting to pay for streaming ... I'm just against the idea. Bad enough to pay for cable tv.......

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

And you were just encouraging me to get Disney! :D 

I will always make an exception for Marvel content.  :P

14 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

That really is another component, though, of me not wanting to pay for streaming ... I'm just against the idea. Bad enough to pay for cable tv.......

I get it, I really do.  The only reason I'm willing to pay for any streaming service is because, being as isolated as I often am, movies/TV are my main source of entertainment; and, some days, all that keeps me from tumbling back into depression, lol.

Seriously though, it's really bugging me that so many channels and studios are starting their own streaming services.  Splitting up the content for a money grab is going to make it much less accessible to me.  When I heard CBS was putting their new "Star Trek" series on its streaming channel, I put my foot down, lol.  I also won't pay for Apple, HBO, Starz, CW, WB, DC Universe, or any others that are preparing to launch in the near future.  I might pay for PBS... maybe.  If there's something I reeeeally must see.

I'm perfectly willing to admit that some of the best shows these days are on either cable or streaming -- but that doesn't mean I'm gonna spring for 'em.  I guess I got so used to television being free back in the olden days that it just don't seem natural to pay for it.

But sooner or later a lot of that stuff shows up for free on Cozi or MeTV, so I can find out what I like -- and if I *really* like it, it's usually available on DVD.

By now, though, we have so many DVDs that we very rarely watch broadcast TV.

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

But sooner or later a lot of that stuff shows up for free on Cozi or MeTV, so I can find out what I like

Guess what's on MeTV right now?  It's "Lost in Space", your favorite.  :P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Guess what's on MeTV right now?  It's "Lost in Space", your favorite.  :P

The original or a remake?

Original.  :smile:  Remake is only on Netflix.

• Tongue 1

There's a remake? Why?

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

Seriously though, it's really bugging me that so many channels and studios are starting their own streaming services.  Splitting up the content for a money grab is going to make it much less accessible to me.  When I heard CBS was putting their new "Star Trek" series on its streaming channel, I put my foot down, lol.  I also won't pay for Apple, HBO, Starz, CW, WB, DC Universe, or any others that are preparing to launch in the near future.  I might pay for PBS... maybe.  If there's something I reeeeally must see.

Same, same.

But why would Netflix want ... oh, never mind. :D 

You guys don’t know what you’re missing!  This is some quality programming right here.  :P 

ReliableKaleidoscopicAmericancrow-size_r

giphy.gif

Slapping%20Dr%20Smith

giphy.gif

• Confused 1

I had seen some mention of this a while back, but had no idea where it was or what it was like.  Finally came across a proper mention of the Star Trek Set Tour today.

Here's the (brief) scoop:  After the original series was canceled, some fans made a hobby of recreating the sets, one by one.  These sets were then used in filming the fan webseries Star Trek: New Voyages (which I knew very little about as well).  This show was so highly regarded that it even attracted the pro bono participation of several original cast and crew members -- even though filming took place in the wilds of far northern New York State.

When CBS changed the rules a few years back, the fans had to stop making new episodes, but CBS did allow them to open their sets for tours.  I've read the reviews on Yelp, and they are uniformly very positive.  So next time you're in Ticonderoga, you might want to check it out.  I certainly intend to!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just stumbled over this delightful little webcomic: Ensign Sue Must Die!

75lebKH.jpg

The whole thing can be found here: http://www.claremoseley.com/ensign-sue-must-die/ensign-sue-must-die-01/ .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1