Star Trek miscellany

One movie remake that always interested me was "Mogambo". It was a remake of an old Clark Gable/Jean Harlow movie called " Red Dust". The remake was done 20 years after the original and changed the location but cast Gable in the same lead role, opposite Ava Gardner and a young Grace Kelly. Of course Kelly was much too young for the Gable character and he ended up with Gardner in the end, playing the Harlow role.

It was promoted as a testament to Gable's appeal and longevity that he could carry off the same part in the 30's and the 50's. As a long time Gable fan I liked the film but it is probably not to everyone's taste. 

I watch a lot of old movies from the 30's thru the 50's and a lot of the stars passed away when I was a child or before I was even born. Gable passed when I was three and I only discovered him after reading and the seeing "Gone With the Wind". 

Sorry, I've gotten off topic but most of my exposure to old time Hollywood has been thru remakes of classics and appearances of actors on tv shows I watched growing up. That spurred a curiosity to find out more about the original films and actors.

So for me remakes, even mediocre ones, are of interest for other reasons. 

And yes the 2nd Star Trek movie with BC was the best.

1 hour ago, kimber8ada said:

Sorry, I've gotten off topic

Not you, dearie -- we've been off-topic for quite a while here!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The Trekverse has lost another star -- Nichol Nichols (the original Uhura) passed on a couple of days ago.  Here are her obituary on Variety's website: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/nichelle-nichols-dead-star-trek-the-original-series-1235330159/ and also reactions from some of her costars et al.:  https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/nichelle-nichols-dies-reactions-tributes-star-trek-1235330185/

nichelle-nichols-obituary.jpg?w=681&h=38

Ms. Nichols had been dealing with dementia for several years, so I assume that's what caused her death, either directly or indirectly.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

The Trekverse has lost another star -- Nichol Nichols (the original Uhura) passed on a couple of days ago.  Here are her obituary on Variety's website: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/nichelle-nichols-dead-star-trek-the-original-series-1235330159/ and also reactions from some of her costars et al.:  https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/nichelle-nichols-dies-reactions-tributes-star-trek-1235330185/

nichelle-nichols-obituary.jpg?w=681&h=38

Ms. Nichols had been dealing with dementia for several years, so I assume that's what caused her death, either directly or indirectly.

She definetly had a huge impact on the world. I watched the documentary "Woman in Motion" that came out I believe last year. I had know idea she did so much work to change the culture at NASA. She was a very impressive person, and left an indelible mark on the world.

• Like 2