Favorite Superhero Pictures (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I get the feeling that you're equating "conservatives" with some worst-case stereotype, and since your friends aren't like that, you conclude that they aren't "really" conservatives.  Maybe you just live too close to all those politicians?

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say ... the title "conservative" has been taken over by the alt-right. Hence, those who are not alt-right must not be conservative. I'm goofing around with semantics, but I presume you get the point.

Don't forget I live in the South, and in fact in the very capitol of the Confederacy. Conservatism here may be somewhat different than what you're used to, simply because of this state's history. Racism is still a real thing here, and its adherents vote Republican; and the Republican party relies on that. Do they espouse it? No. But they avoid alienating that element of their base. Maybe it's not surprising, then, if they get tarred with the same brush.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/8/2020 at 7:00 AM, Arcadia said:

the title "conservative" has been taken over by the alt-right. Hence, those who are not alt-right must not be conservative

The alt-right is a bunch of blatant white supremacists (and apparently quite proud of it).  I suppose every movement has a noisy faction that gets a disproportionately large share of the media's attention -- but saying (even half in jest) that conservative equals alt-right will only help legitimize them, which would be a great disservice to the decent folks who make up the majority of conservatives.

I interrupt this discussion to bring you...

More Loki!

tenor.gif

original.gif

tumblr_ps40t3mlHr1tqk2tko4_r1_500.gif

10b7d372c5e89007d7bb44218342070d8514e460

56a6e176dac89e47c1db83c46154694f666f3fc3

f3cd0dc460f8cfa91669f237f8540fb0547cfe39

26070ef209535f4660e46e5dc0ee4e6803fc12ee

"Tom Hiddleston surprises fans dressed as Loki."

[Link]