GIF Your Mood

Pseudonym

No it wouldn’t be easy. In fact, I’m legally not allowed to work for their competitors in the same country for the next two years. The other thing is they are the biggest and monopolize the industry here and have mass network of acquaintances internationally. However, it is not easy wherever I am, since the work is very niche and back then I moved here for that reason because there were not many options in previous place. I would have to move if I want to work in the same line. But I don’t plan to look for another similar job. It requires too much to move again, maybe I want to settle down and try something else that I have never done before. It won’t be easy at all, I don’t know what the future holds actually, but it’d be worth it to save my sanity.

I was happy here for the first few years, I like what I do and still, but those other things tainted them so much that I foresee only stress and unhappiness ahead. HR is merely one of the problems although it’s my last straw.

To give you guys example about the ridiculousness of HR situation; one year when we negotiated about my contract renewal, we reached agreement and it was all good eventhough it was super late (which is already my pet peeve) and they sent me a legal copy to sign. As a habit, I reread the pages of contract and found that they had changed a couple of clauses sneakily, that would result in very significant pay and benefit cut. The other year I had to agree that my salary would be in local currency (I was hired in another currency) because of new local law (which is true) and apparently something broke their ancient calculator because the final number is significantly lower than my previous contract (maybe they think I am really really suck at math). So those are two examples in case anyone has doubt and think that I exaggerate the situation or demanding too much. I hate paperwork and administrative stuff, negotiation and money talk, so all these BS are infuriating to me. The one that made me quit is a different amusing trick but they pulled the same thing before. But sorry to bore you all with all those!

But anyway... FREEDOOOOMMMM.. I have this maniacal smile that is difficult to shake off.

giphy.gif

P.S Sorry folks, notice a lot of grammar errors everywhere in my posts. :sofa:

• Like 1

Kind of like this?

538caf49a94a1e705c25caac47f4d098.gif

Sneakily changing something you've agreed to is ridiculous! 

Start a scuba company, I'll come over and you can train me. ;)

God, Willem Defoe is hideous. 

• Haha 1

9051664c7a78ec056fc18d741506ef72.jpg

Yup, except surrounded by textbooks and pages of equations. 

I thought I saw Mothman on the way home, but it was a workman standing at the top of a pylon. 

• Like 1

Good for you, VBS, for recognizing when it's time to quit! I have a feeling you have the smarts and fortitude to land on your feet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Good for you, VBS, for recognizing when it's time to quit!

I always have trouble with that, I stay longer than I probably should.

Me too. I think it's partly because we're conditioned to not be "quitters." We think it's virtuous to stick out the tough times. But when your job is more grief than reward, I say it's time to move on. If you can. Ay, there's the rub.

• Like 1

I want to move on. But alas, I also like to pay my bills and buy food, and doing both can already be a struggle. :(

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I want to move on. But alas, I also like to pay my bills and buy food, and doing both can already be a struggle. :(

Yeah, but you're working towards a change in career, right? So that's good. Better than just sitting where you are without trying to make a change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

f916ac733c820e0f5e8a0a36d84ea7e7.jpg

Unlike many recently-posted images, this one is not Photoshopped.  It's MF from an early scene in his quirky Christmas movie Nativity! (the exclamation mark is part of the title, like Oklahoma!).

I want to see that, but not quite enough to pay to rent it.  Conundrum...

It's always on TV here this time of year. It's also on Netflix here. I'm guessing it's not as popular over there?

I'm afraid I've never even heard of it anywhere except on this forum.

The only US source I'm aware of is the DVD.  Which I have, and y'all are welcome to come over and watch it.

• Like 1

I would not call it "very British" in the sense that it wouldn't make sense to people from other countries, or wouldn't appeal to them -- because I certainly like it, and its US Amazon rating is 4.6 of 5.  But it probably wasn't a "big" enough British film to be distributed much outside the UK.  I had never heard of it till I was looking into MF's previous work.

I didn't mean it won't appeal, I just meant that it is, well, very British as in set in an English school with English actors etc 

It is very British, lol.  I caved on the rental and I’m watching it right now, and that was my first thought.  My second thought was how very John Watson-like so many of his lines and behaviors are, lol.  I’m imagining that this is the story of what Watson was up to before he became an army doctor and shipped off to Afghanistan; and when he met Sherlock, he was probably thinking, “This cool, collected fellow seems the total opposite of Mr. Poppy, thank goodness.  What can go wrong?”

• Haha 1