GIF Your Mood

Pseudonym

49e1f4a384f10c943428fc3bedb01348.gif

Well, it was a real struggle to get there and not just say screw it and head home, after nine hours or work I really didn't want to be out for another two hours. However, I did get to the karate class and it went pretty well - he said I could pick up where I left off as a blue belt, so I was pretty happy with that! The class costs £5 a week, which is 6.40 USD. There is a £50 a year insurance/license fee and a £25 a year club membership fee, but that's do-able for a year and about what I expected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!

That gif you posted, is that karate, or a different martial art?

On 1/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, Sheerluck said:

giphy.gif

I'm exploding from the cuteness right now!  How can anybody hunt these down and shoot them?  

On 1/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, Artemis said:

Awesome!

That gif you posted, is that karate, or a different martial art?

That definitely does not look like Karate.

"Kara" = empty  "te" = hand

The art of the 'empty hand' consists in defensive moves with open palms.  It looks like the guy is punching his opponent (a girl, to boot).  No punching in Karate, and I think both feet are supposed to stay on the mat, ie, 'no lifts'  . . lol.

Pseud is a practitioner so she could say better than me.

Edit:

Well, according to this, Karate DOES employ punches.  News to me.  It does stress strikes with the hands, though, as opposed to crawling up an opponent's body like in the clip.  This could be Tae Kwan Do or Muay Thai, favored by MMA practitioners.

A good summary, but without seeing examples of each, it's hard to tell on paper how they are very different from each other.

https://buffalotkd.com/types-of-martial-arts/

On 1/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, Artemis said:

Awesome!

That gif you posted, is that karate, or a different martial art

Sorry, my stupid email didn't tell me you'd posted. It's Vovinam, which is a Vietnamese martial art.  

There is a lot of punching and kicking in karate, and there is also putting people off their feet, I had to practice two different self defence moves on one of the blackbelts to put him down on the floor after grabbing my wrist. 

The one I've started and used to do is Kyokushin (or Kyokushinkai) which also did weapon training, I'm not sure if they do weapons or not in the new club yet. 

• Thanks 1

Start out with the bo, which is a staff, which I've done some of. Then move on to nunchucks, and then swords. From what I remember only blackbelts get swords. 

• Thanks 1

I know this isn't the thread, but I'm not on many of the others any more, quick question, do we ever see Lestrade roughing anyone up?

I am dying. I'm sure there was a time, centuries ago, that I was somewhere other than this office. 

4d449eaf8b9f5863fa45f27c53605387.gif

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, Pseudonym said:

I know this isn't the thread, but I'm not on many of the others any more, quick question, do we ever see Lestrade roughing anyone up?

Not that I can recall. The closest he comes is kicking his car, I think.

Good god, I'd given up this forum as mostly dead! 

That's good, I didn't think we did. I've watched a few police dramas recently, and it gets on my nerves that they all seem to be constantly roughing up people when arresting them. It's OTT and stupid. I'm glad Lestrade doesn't. 

• Like 2

^ Second that.  It could get as low as -60 F around here this week.  That’s including windchill, though.  -30’s F excluding.

It's currently colder in my office that is outside. Just went to the post office and it was positively balmy in comparison to indoors.

Got my fingers crossed for snow, my Scottish friends keep posting pretty pictures, but I'm on the coast so never get any.

Close.  It's from an American movie called Office Space (see trailer here.).  If you like quirky, it's definitely worth watching.

I do like quirky, and quite a few of the gifs that came up are ones that speak to me, lol!

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, Pseudonym said:

Good god, I'd given up this forum as mostly dead! 

That's good, I didn't think we did. I've watched a few police dramas recently, and it gets on my nerves that they all seem to be constantly roughing up people when arresting them. It's OTT and stupid. I'm glad Lestrade doesn't. 

That bothers me too. I think it's supposed to be "realism" but I just find it creepy.