GIF Your Mood

Pseudonym

Alex and I went to a nearby town for their fireworks this past Saturday.  There was a bit of distant thunder now and then, but no rain at all.  We were kinda disappointed, though, because even though there were lots and lots of colorful explosions, they didn't have any of the really pretty types that they've had in the past, just fairly basic stuff.  And the post-fireworks traffic gets worse every year.  We may not even bother going next time.

But hopefully most people still enjoy it, especially the kids!

On 6/29/2019 at 2:47 PM, Artemis said:

Watching the fireflies.

auedr4beorodqxa6hgtb.gif

On 6/29/2019 at 5:53 PM, Arcadia said:

We have so few of those here. Maybe it's because I'm in the woods. I remember there used to be more of them, when the trees were a lot smaller. But there's fewer of everything around here. Fewer rabbits, fewer birds, fewer chipmunks. But more and more deer. Go figure.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:31 PM, Artemis said:

They seem to like the woods around me, but I see more of them in grassy areas, where there are prairie fields and farms.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:33 AM, Arcadia said:

Really? Interesting, I always think of them as woodland creatures. But lately they are also empty field creatures, backyard creatures, highway creatures …. I once saw one curled up on the front-lawn-that-is-also-a-pasture, next to the horse that lives there, just down the road from me. They seemed to be companionable. I just wish they'd leave my hosta alone.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hostas are famous for being deer candy.  Unfortunately they're also one of the few flowers that will bloom in the shade.

I know we discussed this before with google maps and all, but no, you guys can't convince me that you are not living in some kind of elf forest or similar.

I love watching fireflies, there is something surreal about it, I saw them around when I was a kid but as adult it was only on special boat trips with sole purpose to see them around dawn until dark and it was compatible to my favorite quiet time in the dark on high mountain, no human, just silence.

For some reason I can't take the idea of taking Sherlock to those firefly boat trip off, and can't decide if he would be appreciative and enjoyed the nature like when he enjoyed the stars in TGG (right? It's been a while!) or berated me of the short lifespan and all meticulous information about fireflies. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

... you guys can't convince me that you are not living in some kind of elf forest....

Nope, no elves around here.  But the fireflies are definitely out tonight, competing with the Fourth of July fireworks.

Dunno if I ever mentioned this before, but in good years the fireflies in our meadow do The Wave.  The first time I saw it, I was half asleep and thought maybe I was just imagining it, but if so it was a folie a deux, because Alex saw it too.

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I know we discussed this before with google maps and all, but no, you guys can't convince me that you are not living in some kind of elf forest or similar.

No elves, but I do get fairy rings!  :P

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

No elves, but I do get fairy rings!  :P 

We don't get fairy rings here, but we do up in Maine! (See me pathetically trying to be part of the group? 😛 )

I had an interesting 4th … I've been working a temp job about an hour and a half south of here, and driving home on the freeway last night, there were fireworks every 10 miles or so. Some of them seemed to be right above the freeway, it was neat! Long drive in the dark actually seemed much shorter. I was worried either 1. people would be running into each other trying to gawk at the pretty lights, and/or 2. traffic would be heavier than usual because it was a holiday. But it was actually one of the easiest trips back I've made.

The job is outdoors, and it's been extremely hot and humid the past week (I'm sure you folks in Europe can empathize!) so here's my mood:

X1QEOpr.gif

• Like 1

Okay, I had to google The Wave, folie a deux and fairy rings. Whatever elf forest or not you guys are in, it's definitely elf language.

Yah, I enjoy fireworks once in a while, back then there was time when we would stand by early in the night with tripod and all in free (but crowded, obviously) public area to catch the show and got the video. However, I realized that I had been wasting too many nice things by watching them only from my viewfinder, and the videos or images of fireworks don't really represent what you see, so since then I would just enjoy it.

Something I would like to do in America on 4th of July; apparently there are volunteer works to help calming down dogs in shelter. I think it's nice.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Okay, I had to google The Wave, folie a deux and fairy rings. Whatever elf forest or not you guys are in, it's definitely elf language.

Sorry, I thought maybe I had been posting too many links.  Guess not!

51 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I realized that I had been wasting too many nice things by watching them only from my viewfinder, and the videos or images of fireworks don't really represent what you see, so since then I would just enjoy it.

I agree with you about taking photos vs really being there.

52 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Something I would like to do in America on 4th of July; apparently there are volunteer works to help calming down dogs in shelter. I think it's nice.

When our neighbors shoot off their little fireworks, our cats hide under the bed.  I can just imagine what it'd be like in a shelter if there were public fireworks close by.  Poor puppies!

3 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I realized that I had been wasting too many nice things by watching them only from my viewfinder, and the videos or images of fireworks don't really represent what you see, so since then I would just enjoy it.

^ Ditto.  About 10 years ago I was really into photography, but after a few years I came to the same conclusion.  Since then I don't bring my camera along to most things, especially when I know that whatever I captured wouldn't match up to what I saw anyway.  I just watch and enjoy.

Speaking of fireworks videos, have the last one I took, in the spirit of the holiday, lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, there's nothing quite like being there, especially when you're close enough to feel the "booms" reverberate in your chest.

That's actually a pretty decent video, Artemis. I tried getting a few shots one year, but they were too blurred to get much out of them … and same, I found I enjoyed the fireworks more just watching them. But I try to remember to take my camera everywhere; you never know when your going to get the perfect reference photo for your next painting! :smile: 

• Thanks 1

I always wished to be more artistic.  Que sera...

I love gardening, so relaxing, so zen. I've had a really stressful full-on day but when I can come home and spend my evening digging through compost everything is okay. :)

giphy.gif

Spent Monday evening out jogging followed by looking for grass snakes and slow worms. Found 4 slow worms, 2 grass snakes and a newt larvae... which is a LOT cuter than it sounds. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:05 AM, Artemis said:

I always wished to be more artistic.  Que sera...

Just do it. That's all it takes, imo … just do it. Don't try to make it perfect, don't compare it to anything else, just enjoy the process. Maybe something like clay or fingerpainting, so you can actually feel the process, would be a good place to start. Or pastels, if you don't want to actually get your hands into the medium. Pastels are magic; you move your hand, and brilliant color flows out. I've only done one successful painting with them but I enjoy every minute I spend working with them. Expensive, tho. If you need to go cheap, just use crayons. I've seen some wonderful things done with crayons.

• Like 1

Ehh, it takes more than that, in my experience.  I’m not an artist any more than I’m a mathematician or an athlete.  Sure, I could struggle through it, but I’m not likely to develop either an aptitude or a liking for it.  I’ve attempted a number of arts (clay is one), and I just don’t possess the creativity.  I can’t imagine or envision anything in my mind to start with, never mind trying to make it pretty.  Even when I was a child with crayons and Play-Doh and blocks, I never knew what to do with them.  I would just organize them by shape and color.  I’m not driven to express myself artistically.  I don’t enjoy the process, any more than I enjoy house chores.  I just wish that I did, because I really admire art and artists, people who can create something from nothing.  The closest I get is writing, but even that is rarely creative in nature.

That doesn’t mean I’m going to stop trying new things.  But it’s mostly out of some small hope that I might discover a hidden passion one day.  My expectations are low at this point.

Thank you for the suggestions, anyway.  :happy: 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

If you need to go cheap, just use crayons. I've seen some wonderful things done with crayons.

There's an artist named George Barr who does the most incredible things with Lindy ball-point pens (the ones that come in all those wonderful colors) and watercolors.  His work comes across best in person, though -- the jewels glow, and the dewdrops look so three-dimensional that you'd swear you could reach right out and get your fingers wet.

• Like 1

Nice, I don't think I've seen his work before. But I notice he's influenced by one of my favorites, Arthur Rackham; yay!

I've never heard of Lindy pens, and I see they went out of business a couple decades ago. Wonder what he's using now?

Apparently water color, according to what little info I've found on the internet, but you'd have a better feel for that than I would.  He doesn't seem to be doing jewels and dewdrops so much now -- here's the only example I've found, with a shiny red (presumably glass) ball that looks pretty touchable even on a monitor.  No idea when that piece was done (or why he's using the name Khorah there).

Especially since his signature is readily visible underneath the tassel on the right. Maybe Khorah was his online name at one time, or something.

Looks like he was also influenced by Elfquest.  Just based on the style, I'd place it about the '70's.

24 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Just based on the style, I'd place it about the '70's.

That's about when I recall seeing him do that sort of thing, yeah.  But I haven't really followed his career since then.