GIF Your Mood

Pseudonym

It’s c-c-cold!  Gonna be in the 40’s (F) for a high the next few days, 30’s (F) overnight.  I’m shivering in my bed but it’s too earrrly to turn the heat on!

tenor.gif

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

It’s c-c-cold!  Gonna be in the 40’s for a high the next few days, 30’s overnight.  I’m shivering in my bed but it’s too earrrly to turn the heat on!

Brrr!!  It's getting cooler here too, but that just means we're (presumably) no longer having highs around 90.

Is it you that doesn't want to turn the heat on yet, or your landlord?  I encountered the landlord version once when I lived in Boston.  It was unusually cold for September, especially that close to the ocean.  The apartment must have been down around 50, and my roommate had the flu.  So I phoned the superintendent and asked if they could please turn the heat on.  They informed me that according to the law, they were not required to supply heat until October.   :P

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is it you that doesn't want to turn the heat on yet, or your landlord?

Not me!  I'd have it on if it were up to me.

tenor.gif?itemid=15268275

• Sad 1

You have my complete sympathy!  Try soaking in a bathtub full of hot water (if you have a tub, and if you have hot water), then getting straight into bed with every blanket that's available.

One winter I was staying with a woman who kept her thermostat set at 60, in order to save money.  I wore just about every stitch I owned, simultaneously, and was still cold.  Soaking in a hot bath was the only way I could get warm.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:52 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

One winter I was staying with a woman who kept her thermostat set at 60, in order to save money.  I wore just about every stitch I owned, simultaneously, and was still cold.  Soaking in a hot bath was the only way I could get warm.

Ugh, that's terrible!  I've been in that situation before and yep, a hot soak is just about the only thing to do.  Just wish it didn't wear off so quick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

69dfb596b797043e09d878c8d79cc418.gif

I woke up crying today.  I had sad, lonely dreams.

I need some cheering up, but I'm not sure what to do.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Oh, dear, I hate waking up like that!  Today is about over, so hopefully you'll wake in a better mood tomorrow.  But if not, go for a walk, read a funny story -- or re-read some of the forum's "funny" threads.  Or feel free to PM me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Artemis said:

69dfb596b797043e09d878c8d79cc418.gif

I woke up crying today.  I had sad, lonely dreams.

For me, my dog helps a lot.

I'm against sleeping with dog for years (I have a bit of OCD etc etc), but when I finally do so (it started when he wasn't feeling well and I don't want to leave him alone), he actually makes me feel very safe, especially now, when I am practically separated from everyone that I love and things doesn't seem to get better. We would wake up in the middle of the night and gave each other nudge, I would look for him when I have nightmare and usually he is already there next to my face, and he is the first thing I would hug every morning. Actually I have no idea now how to live without him.

• Like 3

Wasn't expecting to wake up to a whiteout blizzard today, but there it is.

giphy.gif

• Confused 2

Don't they know it's still October?   :angry:

It's been a relatively warm October here -- in the 60's today (on Tuesday, that is) and they're predicting low 80's for Thursday.  :blink:  Of course it's never that warm in late October unless a cold front is imminent -- but even then they're predicting highs around 60 and lows around 40.  (We do have blizzards now and then, but not generally before Christmas.)

We've had a couple of light frosts this month, which killed the morning glories on the east side of the house, but they didn't touch my tomatoes and green beans (and morning glories) on the west side, close to the foundation and surrounded by sidewalks -- all that concrete soaks up the heat of the afternoon sun and moderates overnight temperatures.  The garden's days are obviously numbered, but it'll take a hard freeze.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's been a relatively warm October here -- in the 60's today (on Tuesday, that is) and they're predicting low 80's for Thursday.  :blink: 

60's  , 80's ... What's that ? It's probably the ambient temperature, I can't understand it because it's measured in Fahrenheit 😂

The weather is fine here, temperature are mild today 🌞

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jen said:

60's  , 80's ... What's that ? It's probably the ambient temperature, I can't understand it because it's measured in Fahrenheit

Sorry, Jen -- I usually give measurements in both systems, but I guess since I was responding to another American, that didn't occur to me.

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's been a relatively warm October here -- in the 60's today (on Tuesday, that is) and they're predicting low 80's for Thursday.  :blink:  Of course it's never that warm in late October unless a cold front is imminent -- but even then they're predicting highs around 60 and lows around 40.

The translation would be something like "in the upper teens today ... and upper 20's for Thursday.  .... a cold front is imminent, but ... even then ... highs in the mid-teens and lows around 4 or 5."

6 hours ago, Jen said:

I don't get why I can't post a gif or pic... 🤔 

I have no idea.  Let's see if I can --

qOXMur8m.jpg?1

That seems to work.  I posted that by typing

(img)image.location(/img)

... only with square brackets [ and ] instead of parentheses.  It should also work to type just the image location, like this:

qOXMur8m.jpg?1

... and that seems to work as well.  (Note: those two methods may yield somewhat different results, but either should work.)

Those methods work by "hot linking" -- which is to say that the image actually lives at the specified location (in this case, my Imgur account), and the post merely creates a "window" through which it can be viewed.

There's also the embedding method (accessed via the "insert other media" button below the edit window), where the image actually exists within this forum, but I don't recommend that except for small frequently used images (e.g., if you have your own emoticons), because you're allocated a certain amount of storage space, and once that's used up you can't add any more images.

Which method are you using, and what happens when you try?

• Thanks 1

https://images.app.goo.gl/e9HSmhhd1tmodriA7

I'm trying this method. It doesn't work... 

When I tried, I used the method via "insert other media".

I'm a little confused because on the French forums, there is a button "insert image", and we choose an image from the computer or smartphone... 

I use a smartphone to post on the forum. Perhaps it doesn't work with a smartphone...🤔

10 minutes ago, Jen said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/e9HSmhhd1tmodriA7

I'm trying this method. It doesn't work... 

When I tried, I used the method via "insert other media".

I'm a little confused because on the French forums, there is a button "insert image", and we choose an image from the computer or smartphone...

I use a smartphone to post on the forum. Perhaps it doesn't work with a smartphone...🤔

OK, the reason your example at the top didn't work is that you used what I take to be an internet page address, so the forum created a regular page link for you.  I clicked on it and got a page with an image of a sad little critter, and when I clicked on the link below the image, I got a page with the same image and some "partager" buttons to the left.  I suspect one of those buttons would give you the image's address (but I would apparently need to log in first).

What you need is an image address, which would end in .jpg or .gif or something of that sort.  You can generally (though apparently not in the case of your sad little critter) get that address by right-clicking on the image and selecting something like "copy image location" from the drop-down menu.  It should work more or less the same with a phone, except that the equivalent to a "right click" button may vary depending on which type of phone you have.  On my Android phone, I press my finger against the photo and hold it there for a second or two.

I just had a look at our "insert other media" menu, and the first option, "insert existing attachment," gives me access to embedded images that I've already created -- but it looks like there's no longer any option for creating new ones, so that's apparently no help to you.  The second option, "insert image from URL," is the method I described in my previous post, except that it types the BBCode for you, which some people prefer.

If you're saying French forums supply a list of your own photo files for you to choose from, then that's probably more like the way our embedded method used to work, when we could still add new images.   :(   Sorry!

• Thanks 1

What Carol described for you up there is called "hotlinking", btw, and not all sites support it. The Sad Pikachu image above is hosted on Wattpad, and I'm pretty sure they don't. Didn't try it out because I don't want their admins being angry with us, but this is what it looks like, for instance, when hosted on imgur and linked from there:

QBsP3wQ.gif

I'll be happy to help you with setting up an account on imgur or any other hotlinking-friendly image hoster, btw. :smile:

eta: the address for this is (img)https://i.imgur.com/QBsP3wQ.gif(/img) only with different brackets, like Carol described, or drop them altogether.

19 minutes ago, Caya said:

What Carol described for you up there is called "hotlinking", btw, and not all sites support it. The Sad Pikachu image above is hosted on Wattpad, and I'm pretty sure they don't.

Correct, right-clicking does not bring up any menu.  But they have "sharing" buttons instead, and I assume one of those yields the sort of address needed.

Far as I could see, those were just for social media sites, like porting the image to tumblr, or for Wattpad itself. But, well, what little French I learned at school I've managed to forget almost entirely, so I might absolutely be wrong about this. :blush:

6 hours ago, Caya said:

Far as I could see, those were just for social media sites, like porting the image to tumblr, or for Wattpad itself.

That's all I specifically saw too, but I don't think I saw the entire list of options, because the bottom of my screen was blocked by a sign-in pop-up or something of that sort.  So I thought maybe there was an option similar to what's available on Imgur, for posting to forums.  Were you able to see the whole thing?

I was and I couldn't see anything of that sort. Wattpad is a writers' site afaik and not an image hoster, besides.