Pseudonym

GIF Your Mood

Grouchy.

AcclaimedFaroffAmericanshorthair-size_re

P.S.  I asked my boss about "The Office", just to see what he'd say.  He said he's gotten 'Michael' jokes before, but he's never seen the show.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Artemis said:

P.S.  I asked my boss about "The Office", just to see what he'd say.  He said he's gotten 'Michael' jokes before, but he's never seen the show.

That is utterly astounding.  So there really is a real-life Michael.  And his name really is Michael.  I take it he doesn't care to be called Mike?

Nope, he only goes by Michael.

• Thanks 1

Frustrated, tired, depressed... It’s one thing after another.

source.gif

• Sad 3

On 10/22/2019 at 11:27 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I take it you're not exaggerating all that much?  I'm not particularly familiar with U2's work -- are there any themes that might rile certain groups?

Possibly. They do sing about love and peace an awful lot. :wacko: 

I suspect it's more to do with Bono's activism than anything else. Some people simply can't bear celebrities who use their position to support a cause. Sort of like the backlash against a certain Mr. Cumberbatch for speaking out against climate change. Drives some people nutz.

That's clearly one disadvantage of being self-employed.   :( 

True! :smile: But I was thinking of the other jobs I had before I became self-employed; only one of them offered sick leave.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:02 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

I like U2! With or Without You is still a pretty good car trip companion.

:hugz: !!!!!!   Although I'm more a "Bullet the Blue Sky" fan myself. :D (That guitar!)

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

source.gif

Hugz for you, too. And that wasn't intended to be a pun, but if it gives you a smile, a pun it is.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Some people simply can't bear celebrities who use their position to support a cause.

I suspect that most of us tend to be irked, if said celebrity is promoting a cause that we take exception with.

I'll have to think about that one. I didn't like Charlton Heston's stand on the NRA, e.g., but I still enjoy "Ben Hur". I've heard Picasso was a complete jerk, but I don't go around labelling his paintings as garbage. (They're not to my taste, but that's another matter, imo.) Steven Moffat's capable of some extremely tone-deaf comments, but I still think "Sherlock" is brilliant. :smile: I guess I think people should be able to separate the artist from the art? I'll concede that it's pretty easy to challenge that stance, however. Don't know if I'd still love U2's music if they turned out to be white-supremacists, e.g. Hmmm.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Steven Moffat's capable of some extremely tone-deaf comments, but I still think "Sherlock" is brilliant. :smile: I guess I think people should be able to separate the artist from the art? I'll concede that it's pretty easy to challenge that stance, however. Don't know if I'd still love U2's music if they turned out to be white-supremacists, e.g.

I don't agree 100% with anyone that I'm aware of (including my husband), so it's no surprise that I disagree with a lot of celebrities' positions on issues.  But that doesn't -- generally -- stop me from enjoying their work.  I can think of one who's acted like such a complete jerk about one issue that it's affected my opinion of the celebrity, but in that case it's not actually the stance on the issue, it's the obnoxious behavior toward those who (politely) disagree.

As you say, though, there's a limit.  In my personal life, I don't avoid people simply because we disagree on one thing or another.  In fact, civil disagreement can lead to some very interesting discussions.  But arbitrary hatred is an immediate turn-off to me.

• Like 1

Or even non-arbitrary hatred. Hatred is such an energy-sapping emotion in the first place, I'd rather reserve it for that very special few. :blink:  The rest will have to settle for disgust. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

... arbitrary hatred is an immediate turn-off to me.

31 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Or even non-arbitrary hatred. Hatred is such an energy-sapping emotion in the first place, I'd rather reserve it for that very special few. :blink:  The rest will have to settle for disgust.

I meant that I'm turned off by haters.  But yeah, that too.

• Like 1

Right. I meant that too, but in the phrasing of it I went off in another direction, didn't I? I hate that. :D 

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I meant that too, but in the phrasing of it I went off in another direction, didn't I?

I feel compelled to quote Humpty Dumpty (from Through the Looking Glass):   "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.  The question is, which is to be master—that’s all."

But the words do sometimes have a mind of their own, don't they?

• Haha 1

My only excuse is that I'm usually really sleepy when I'm visiting this place. :-) 

• Like 1

Yeah, me too.  I'm actually far more uhh, whatever the word is, than this.

• Like 1

^ Me three.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:58 AM, Artemis said:

source.gif

^ Mood is still this.  It was a very crummy and disappointing weekend.

• Sad 1

Can “cold” be a mood?  ‘Cause I’m freezing.  Got as low as 0 degrees F early this morning.  Average temps for this time of year are in the 50’s, but we’ve been getting teens and 20’s for weeks, and snow is lining the streets.  I’m not ready for winter, at all.

giphy.gif

• Sad 1

It's not nearly that cold here -- yet -- but I'm wearing hmm, let's see, five layers up top and two pairs of pants.  Just a couple weeks ago I was still wearing shorts.  It's that transition that'll get ya.

I have a heated footrest (either this one or a very similar earlier model) under my computer table.  I love it.  If my feet are warm, the rest of me is a lot more likely to be comfortable.  Added:  After reading some of those reviews, I'd guess that there are several variations being sold under the same model number.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Artemis said:

Can “cold” be a mood? 

I don't think it's a mood, exactly, but I know when I'm down I'm much more sensitive to temperature. And the barometric pressure. And just about everything else.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

when I'm down I'm much more sensitive to temperature. And the barometric pressure. And just about everything else

... and rain.  But I wonder, does my being down make me more sensitive to such matters, or do those matters cause me to be down (or more down than I'd be otherwise)?  Bit of both?

Good point. I find it's much harder to be "up" on a dreary, rainy day. Whereas right now it's bright and beautiful, and I'm pretty upbeat even though I'm suffering from a lousy cold.

But I love snowstorms, they make me high as a kite. Go figure.