Pseudonym

GIF Your Mood

When I was wearing my hair long, I used to trim it myself about once a year.  It was easier than trying to convince a stylist that there was no point in trying to shape and style it, because it'd just do what it wanted anyhow.  It was cheaper, too.  :D

That's something I've never figured out how to do … trim my own hair. How the heck do you get it straight? Besides, if I'm too lazy to go the hairdresser, I'm definitely too lazy to do it myself. :D  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

That's something I've never figured out how to do … trim my own hair. How the heck do you get it straight?

I did it pretty much the way I do everything else, by measuring it.  By the time it needed a trim, my hair was roughly 18 inches long.  I took a one-foot ruler, put one end against my head, held a lock of hair alongside it, and cut off whatever extended past the other end.  And repeated.  Repeatedly.  It was simple enough that I really couldn't mess it up, but it was tedious and time-consuming.  On the other hand, I needed to do it only once a year or so.  As I said, it was easier than arguing with a stylist.

My mother had a different system, which I never did understand.  She wore her hair fairly short (about down to her collar in back) and parted on one side, with natural waves and a bit of curl.  She virtually always cut it herself, even after her eyesight got really bad.  She generally stood in front of a mirror, but just the one, so she had no way to see the back.  I assume she did it by feel, and it always looked very nice.

Egad. I think I'm just not nimble enough with a ruler (or maybe it's the scissors). Either way, I could never pull that off!

Well then, call on your artistic talents and be creative!  I used the ruler as a poor substitute for that sort of thing.

Oh, no no no.... trust me, this is a job for a professional!

I know a lady who cuts and streaks her own hair. That's all the incentive I need to not follow suite..... (She's an adorable person, though.)

• Tongue 1

On 1/27/2020 at 2:37 AM, Arcadia said:

Egad. I think I'm just not nimble enough with a ruler (or maybe it's the scissors). Either way, I could never pull that off!

Me neither, it would look terrible.  My dad cuts his own hair, but his hair is curly, and he’d have to really mess up badly for any errors to be noticeable.  My hair is straight and smooth, so the slightest unevenness sticks out like a sore thumb.  There’s no way I could do it myself without it looking like I just sawed it off with a sharp knife.

8 hours ago, Artemis said:

Me neither, it would look terrible.  My dad cuts his own hair, but his hair is curly, and he’d have to really mess up badly for any errors to be noticeable.  My hair is straight and smooth, so the slightest unevenness sticks out like a sore thumb.  There’s no way I could do it myself without it looking like I just sawed it off with a sharp knife.

Precisely.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:11 AM, Artemis said:

My hair is straight and smooth, so the slightest unevenness sticks out like a sore thumb.  There’s no way I could do it myself without it looking like I just sawed it off with a sharp knife.

Same here. I tried to cut my bang though (I seriously couldn't find the right word and mistakenly put fang until before I posted it, imagine how bad ass it is when you guys read it with fang).

I do feel bad with my hair, it's not troublesome at all, but many times I think it deserves more products and treatment than just shampoo and conditioner (no John, according to Sherlock, shampoo is not hair product, but you shouldn't hear him since you have too much product now)

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I do feel bad with my hair, it's not troublesome at all, but many times I think it deserves more products and treatment than just shampoo and conditioner (no John, according to Sherlock, shampoo is not hair product, but you shouldn't hear him since you have too much product now)

Nah, I think the less product you use the better for your fang. Er, hair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:11 AM, Artemis said:

My dad cuts his own hair, but his hair is curly, and he’d have to really mess up badly for any errors to be noticeable.

True, and I should have mentioned that my hair is curly/wavy.  Of course, that also means that a perfect haircut isn't going to look any better than a fairly good haircut, because my hair is going to do its own thing, regardless.  So it's both a curse and a blessing.

• Haha 1

Still no haircut.  Maybe I should just see how long it can grow.  :P

13 hours ago, Artemis said:

Still no haircut.  Maybe I should just see how long it can grow.  :P

If you've never had long hair before, this might be as good a time as any.  That's something that a woman might want to try at least once in her life, like a man seeing how he looks in a beard -- just to find out.

Oh I’ve had long hair all my life.  I’ve just always gotten it cut by the time it grows down to my bum, so I have no idea how long it could actually grow.  Some women can grow their hair past their feet.

11 hours ago, Artemis said:

Oh I’ve had long hair all my life.  I’ve just always gotten it cut by the time it grows down to my bum....

Ah.  Well then, now's your chance to give Rapunzel a run for her money.  (While you're running, just be careful you don't trip over your hair.)  Mine doesn't grow past my waist, but it's so bushy that even that length makes an unwieldy amount of hair.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Feeling some cabin fever.  I don’t think I’ve been anywhere but work and the grocery store in weeks.  I’ve just been too tired and it’s been too cold.  The weather’s warming up now, I need to get out and do something fun!

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well then, now's your chance to give Rapunzel a run for her money.

‘Rapunzel’ was one of my nicknames as a kid, lol.

My hair becomes unwieldy in the winter because of the dry air.  Even with the use of moisturizing shampoos and conditioners (which don’t seem to help much, if at all), it’s so staticky, I sometimes see sparks when I brush it.  It’s almost unmanageable.  Very annoying.  Normally I get it shortened in the early winter so I don’t have to deal with quite so much of it, and let it grow back over the year.

19 hours ago, Artemis said:

I’ve just always gotten it cut by the time it grows down to my bum....

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

‘Normally I get it shortened in the early winter so I don’t have to deal with quite so much of it, and let it grow back over the year.

Sounds like it grows pretty fast -- how short do you have it cut, and how much does it grow during one year?

It does grow very fast.  I usually get it cut to an inch or two below my collar bone.  I’d guess it probably grows about 10-12 inches per year, based on how much the stylist ends up taking off.

Mine grows only about half that much, around six inches a year -- and I think that's pretty typical.  I get mine trimmed every five weeks, but (depending on time of year) it can be pretty shaggy at four weeks.  If you wanted to wear yours short, you'd need a trim every week or two!

Mine used to grow about an inch a month, but I don't think it's quite so eager any more. I didn't get it cut at all the last couple years and it still only got halfway down my back. There was a time when I loved having it long, but I have to admit it's not a good look for me anymore. I had it cut recently and I looked ten … well, okay, five … years younger. :) 

I feel like the only person not freaking out about coronavirus.

tumblr_inline_owpn8zomkt1rw7ltg_500.gif

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

I feel like the only person not freaking out about coronavirus.

tumblr_inline_owpn8zomkt1rw7ltg_500.gif

You're not. :-)  

• Thanks 1

Nope, definitely not the only one.

I will say, though, that I'm glad I'm not currently employed in a service industry (e.g., as a waitress or teacher), where my job requires me to come in close contact with dozens of people per day.  I hate being ill -- even if it's only a cold, it totally drains my energy and I'm useless for weeks.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I hate being ill -- even if it's only a cold, it totally drains my energy and I'm useless for weeks.

Same.  When I get sick I get really sick, and I'm sick for weeks.  I'm trying very hard to stay well right now, because everyone around me has been cycling through (non-coronavirus) illnesses all winter long.  Additionally, working in the funeral industry frequently puts me in direct contact with ill people.  A typical funeral service here sees 200 people or more.  If one good thing comes from this virus scare, hopefully it will be that everyone learns to wash their hands.