Pseudonym

GIF Your Mood

It’s c-c-cold!  Gonna be in the 40’s (F) for a high the next few days, 30’s (F) overnight.  I’m shivering in my bed but it’s too earrrly to turn the heat on!

tenor.gif

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

It’s c-c-cold!  Gonna be in the 40’s for a high the next few days, 30’s overnight.  I’m shivering in my bed but it’s too earrrly to turn the heat on!

Brrr!!  It's getting cooler here too, but that just means we're (presumably) no longer having highs around 90.

Is it you that doesn't want to turn the heat on yet, or your landlord?  I encountered the landlord version once when I lived in Boston.  It was unusually cold for September, especially that close to the ocean.  The apartment must have been down around 50, and my roommate had the flu.  So I phoned the superintendent and asked if they could please turn the heat on.  They informed me that according to the law, they were not required to supply heat until October.   :P

1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Is it you that doesn't want to turn the heat on yet, or your landlord?

Not me!  I'd have it on if it were up to me.

tenor.gif?itemid=15268275

• Sad 1

You have my complete sympathy!  Try soaking in a bathtub full of hot water (if you have a tub, and if you have hot water), then getting straight into bed with every blanket that's available.

One winter I was staying with a woman who kept her thermostat set at 60, in order to save money.  I wore just about every stitch I owned, simultaneously, and was still cold.  Soaking in a hot bath was the only way I could get warm.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:52 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

One winter I was staying with a woman who kept her thermostat set at 60, in order to save money.  I wore just about every stitch I owned, simultaneously, and was still cold.  Soaking in a hot bath was the only way I could get warm.

Ugh, that's terrible!  I've been in that situation before and yep, a hot soak is just about the only thing to do.  Just wish it didn't wear off so quick.

giphy.gif

a7d3d924fdd1bb1c2f00391b804faa21.gif

69dfb596b797043e09d878c8d79cc418.gif

I woke up crying today.  I had sad, lonely dreams.

I need some cheering up, but I'm not sure what to do.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Oh, dear, I hate waking up like that!  Today is about over, so hopefully you'll wake in a better mood tomorrow.  But if not, go for a walk, read a funny story -- or re-read some of the forum's "funny" threads.  Or feel free to PM me.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Artemis said:

69dfb596b797043e09d878c8d79cc418.gif

I woke up crying today.  I had sad, lonely dreams.

For me, my dog helps a lot.

I'm against sleeping with dog for years (I have a bit of OCD etc etc), but when I finally do so (it started when he wasn't feeling well and I don't want to leave him alone), he actually makes me feel very safe, especially now, when I am practically separated from everyone that I love and things doesn't seem to get better. We would wake up in the middle of the night and gave each other nudge, I would look for him when I have nightmare and usually he is already there next to my face, and he is the first thing I would hug every morning. Actually I have no idea now how to live without him.

• Like 3

Dogs know how to reassure us. I miss having one... 

Cats can also be very reassuring.  When they feel like it.  :D

• Like 1

Wasn't expecting to wake up to a whiteout blizzard today, but there it is.

giphy.gif

• Confused 2

Don't they know it's still October?   :angry:

It's been a relatively warm October here -- in the 60's today (on Tuesday, that is) and they're predicting low 80's for Thursday.  :blink:  Of course it's never that warm in late October unless a cold front is imminent -- but even then they're predicting highs around 60 and lows around 40.  (We do have blizzards now and then, but not generally before Christmas.)

We've had a couple of light frosts this month, which killed the morning glories on the east side of the house, but they didn't touch my tomatoes and green beans (and morning glories) on the west side, close to the foundation and surrounded by sidewalks -- all that concrete soaks up the heat of the afternoon sun and moderates overnight temperatures.  The garden's days are obviously numbered, but it'll take a hard freeze.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's been a relatively warm October here -- in the 60's today (on Tuesday, that is) and they're predicting low 80's for Thursday.  :blink: 

60's  , 80's ... What's that ? It's probably the ambient temperature, I can't understand it because it's measured in Fahrenheit 😂

The weather is fine here, temperature are mild today 🌞

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jen said:

60's  , 80's ... What's that ? It's probably the ambient temperature, I can't understand it because it's measured in Fahrenheit

Sorry, Jen -- I usually give measurements in both systems, but I guess since I was responding to another American, that didn't occur to me.

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's been a relatively warm October here -- in the 60's today (on Tuesday, that is) and they're predicting low 80's for Thursday.  :blink:  Of course it's never that warm in late October unless a cold front is imminent -- but even then they're predicting highs around 60 and lows around 40.

The translation would be something like "in the upper teens today ... and upper 20's for Thursday.  .... a cold front is imminent, but ... even then ... highs in the mid-teens and lows around 4 or 5."