Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

Strange way to direct a movie...  :bemused:  I feel a bit bad for the actors.

tumblr_ppodlzryNm1qepbxk_500.jpg

[Link]

• Confused 1

Well, I just got home from seeing it. Absolutely loved the first 3/4 of it, I kept going "what!?" and "Well, I didn't expect that!" And the last quarter was … well, inevitable. And necessary. But not the most original part of the movie. Rewarding in some ways, but I enjoyed what preceded it more. Overall great storytelling., though

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:51 AM, Surelock said:

Who else here thinks Thanos in Endgame got disrespected by the writers? In many ways, Thanos feels like a different character than the one in Infinity War.

Not at all. He remained as wedded to his vision as ever. We just saw it from a different perspective.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:18 AM, Artemis said:

Well that was epic.  I think 'bittersweet' is the best word for what I'm feeling right now.  I have to process this for awhile.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. Plus

Spoiler

it feels like yet another ending of something I really enjoyed. :cry: 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:16 AM, Artemis said:

I found his characterization fairly consistent, actually.  Especially adding in his portrayal (what little we get of it) in the 'Guardians' films.

I found Bruce/Hulk's characterization a bit jarring, though.  And to a degree Thor's as well.

I think they were meant to be, though, don't you? And I'll bet Hemsworth was having the time of his life. My friend who was with me actually wailed at first sight. :D 

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I think they were meant to be, though, don't you?

Well yeah, otherwise they wouldn't have filmed it that way, lol.  I'm not saying it was necessarily a negative thing, but I also can't say whether I really liked it.  It was an adjustment I never quite managed to make by the end of the movie.  I wouldn't have done it that way myself; not for Endgame, anyway.

But again, I'm not saying it was a bad.  It felt more weird than bad or good.

But Hemsworth definitely was enjoying himself.  :happy:  His characterization was almost entirely his choice, which he's been wanting to have control of forever, lol.

Speaking of Thor, there are rumors of a 'Thor 4' in the works.  Tessa Thompson (Valkyrie in 'Ragnarok') said that it's been pitched by Taika (the director of 'Ragnarok').

I'm also very curious how much of Thor we'll be seeing in 'Guardians 3', which is about to start filming.

14 hours ago, Artemis said:

Every question *I* might have?  Or just the ones they thought of and/or are willing to answer?  (Yes, I have been scarred by Moftiss.  :D )

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, one thing I learned from that interview … they had the ending in mind from the beginning, unlike a certain Mssrs. M & G. And it shows. Fan or not, you have to admit the MCU is coherent. I think it's amazing that Marvel was able to pull it off, frankly. And the final movie was the most surprising one, at least in the first two-thirds or so. That's a rare feat.

• Thanks 1

He did remind me of Volstagg, lol.

tumblr_pqu8djTNbk1r9vss8_640.png

tumblr_pqz4ro6MCc1wxlsf9_500.png

[Link]

I don't think we're all on the same page here.  :bemused:

tumblr_pqxz1m6juZ1wpeg2y_500.jpg

tumblr_pqxz1nmMRy1wpeg2y_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_pr0040EKct1sw5wvy_400.gif

[Link]

“Spider-Man: Far From Home” trailer 2.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:28 AM, Arcadia said:

Well, one thing I learned from that interview … they had the ending in mind from the beginning, unlike a certain Mssrs. M & G. And it shows. Fan or not, you have to admit the MCU is coherent.

This! I think the worst thing about series written over years is not knowing the whole story at the beginning. I suspect it requires a different kind of writing, and it's a bit not good. You cannot spread the best ideas along the whole story, if you don't know how long it will be. And if you don't want to fire all your ammunition in the recent season, it might happen that your best ideas will die if the next season never comes. And this Avengers-thing is almost like a series.

On 4/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, Artemis said:

His storyline in the 'Infinity War' movie is different from his storyline in the comics (which I never read myself).  In the comics he's trying to court Mistress Death, so he kills half the universe in an attempt to win her affection.

^ P.S.  I refer you to this post.

• Confused 1

Disney released a list of release dates for its upcoming productions, including 8 Untiled Marvel Movies.

• May 1st, 2020 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • November 6th, 2020 -  Untitled Marvel Movie
  • February 12th, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • May 7th, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • November 5th, 2021 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • February 18th, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • May 6th, 2022 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • July 29th, 2022-  Untitled Marvel Movie

Thanks, guys.  :P  I can't wait for Untitled Marvel Movie!!

[Link]

• Haha 2

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:21 AM, Artemis said:

tumblr_pqu8djTNbk1r9vss8_640.png

tumblr_pqz4ro6MCc1wxlsf9_500.png

[Link]

Wait … what?? Straczynski wrote Thor? When?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, J.P. said:

This! I think the worst thing about series written over years is not knowing the whole story at the beginning. I suspect it requires a different kind of writing, and it's a bit not good. You cannot spread the best ideas along the whole story, if you don't know how long it will be. And if you don't want to fire all your ammunition in the recent season, it might happen that your best ideas will die if the next season never comes. And this Avengers-thing is almost like a series.

Yah, it's hard if you don't have a commitment up front from the money people to keep you going for a specified amount of time. I remember shows like Roar! and Earth 2, which had great potential, but got cancelled before they had a chance to wrap up any story lines. A real shame, especially in the case of Earth 2, which was very densely imagined.

I'm not sure it's even so much about knowing your exact ending, as being consistent with what went before. As much as I love Sherlock, even I have to admit they've been pretty wobbly on the continuity. And often leave us (or me, at least) with the impression that they don't really think it matters. And maybe it doesn't, but …. argh. I like continuity, so there!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's odd -- they seem to enjoy leaving Easter eggs, so they pay attention to detail in that sense, yet they can't seem to make up their minds about what really happened, even when they've promised to reveal all.

Hasn't it occurred to them that fans of Sherlock Holmes might be kinda obsessive about details?

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Wait … what?? Straczynski wrote Thor? When?

He wrote Thor comics and he was one of the writers of the first Thor film.  :smile:  He also had a cameo appearance in the film.

10 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, it's odd -- they seem to enjoy leaving Easter eggs, so they pay attention to detail in that sense, yet they can't seem to make up their minds about what really happened, even when they've promised to reveal all.

Hasn't it occurred to them that fans of Sherlock Holmes might be kinda obsessive about details?

Kinda? :D 

Their default position seems to be that Doyle himself made a lot of continuity errors, ergo, they are being true to the source. Which is a cute explanation, if a rather unsatisfying one.

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

He wrote Thor comics and he was one of the writers of the first Thor film.  :smile:  He also had a cameo appearance in the film.

55aTH7h.gif

13 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The Dude reference made me laugh out loud. It took few seconds though, because it was so surprising that I didn't quite believe what I saw. :D It's even funnier because they updated the reference, using Crocks instead of plastic sandals. I wonder whose idea it was.

• 4 months later...

The episode where Q was sentenced to become human as a punishment is one of my favorites, it was hilarious, lol.

• 1 month later...

Loads of new info out there about the upcoming Marvel movies and series' on Disney+.  Fan theories abound!

"Doctor Strange 2 Loki Crossover and Marvel Phase 4 Teaser Trailer Breakdown".

• Thanks 2

I think if Sherlock has taught me anything, it's that it's better (for me) not to speculate, but just wait and see what they come up with. Not as much fun, but less angst. :smile: 

Also Marvel didn't leave us with a cliffhanger, so it's easier to just ignore them for awhile.... ;) 

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

it's that it's better (for me) not to speculate, but just wait and see what they come up with.

I'm not usually one to speculate either, I think it's a bit pointless.  I'll just be patient and see what happens.  I had to click on the above video though because I was too curious to find out if Loki really was in the background of the 1970 scene of "Endgame", lol.

• Haha 1