Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

Yeah, definitely didn't see that coming, though it makes sense in hindsight. I mean, while she's at creating her suburban fantasy, might as well go all the way.

She looked like she didn't expect it though, which was strange.  And why not bring him back in his own likeness?  We know that Wanda and this series are going to tie in to 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness', and 'Spider-Man 3' is casting actors from multiple Spider-Man film series' (e.g. Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield).  I wonder if she's beginning to lose control of her reality a little bit, and this is the beginning of the multiverse getting its wires crossed.

I love Quicksilver, by the way, lol.  His scenes in 'X-Men' were some of the best.

• Like 1

Looking at that first picture (before playing the video), I assumed Quicksilver was the dog.  I'm disappointed!   :P

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Artemis said:

She looked like she didn't expect it though, which was strange.  And why not bring him back in his own likeness?  We know that Wanda and this series are going to tie in to 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness', and 'Spider-Man 3' is casting actors from multiple Spider-Man film series' (e.g. Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield).  I wonder if she's beginning to lose control of her reality a little bit, and this is the beginning of the multiverse getting its wires crossed.

Good point! And she did say to Vision that whoever knocked wasn't her doing, and I think that was a honest statement.

“Falcon and Winter Soldier” Super Bowl trailer.

• Thanks 1

Back to WandaVision: I've had this theory since episode 2... Well, I have a lot of theories... But I have this theory that the oft-mentioned but never-present "Ralph" is going to turn out to be the Big Bad of this multiverse phase in the MCU.

I'm excited to see if I'm right, lol.

I've never had any interest in paying for a streaming service, but I have to admit ... Disney Plus is the thing that may make me change my mind.

Then I remember how little time I have to watch such things, and put it off yet again.......

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Then I remember how little time I have to watch such things, and put it off yet again.......

Each episode of WandaVision is only about half an hour long.  Not that I'm trying to sway you or anything.  :P

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

Each episode of WandaVision is only about half an hour long.  Not that I'm trying to sway you or anything.  :P

Yeah, but if I pay for a service, I'm going to use it as much as possible! Like, I recently decided to invest in Sirius XM, and I have it on all the time ... which I would not normally do with "free" radio. I only have an antenna for my TV, so I only get about 5 channels, but that's good because it means I spend (waste) less of my time in front of the tube. I do wish I could pick up PBS on it, though. But not enough to pay for it.

On the other hand, Disney Plus is a heck of a lot cheaper than cable............

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

On the other hand, Disney Plus is a heck of a lot cheaper than cable.........

But it's only one channel, right?  That's one thing that bugs me about the streaming services.  They may not charge much, but I doubt that any one of them has more than a show or two that I'd actually want to watch.  So in order to check out everything that looks intriguing, I'd have to sign up for maybe half a dozen services.  At which point I'd discover that a] I don't really like any of their shows all that much, and/or b] I'm spending far too much time watching television (which doesn't just mean I don't have that time for other things -- watching more than an hour or so a day leaves me feeling really blah).  In either case, it wouldn't be long before I canceled the whole batch.

If cable were available out here in the boonies, though, I'd seriously consider signing up for just their internet service!

• Like 1

Dunno, I signed up for Disney+ on a lark last year when it was just 50 bucks/year (shortly before Corona hit, no doubt they came to regret giving it away so cheap) and I feel like we easily had our money's worth from it. It's more than just one channel, btw, Carol - husband watches Marvel (and I occasionally join him there, like with WandaVision) and Star Wars, I love National Geographic so much, and every now and then we even watch Disney/Pixar :lol:  (Soul, btw, was great).

Back to WandaVision, still no Ralph in sight - you might be onto something, Artemis. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Caya said:

I signed up for Disney+ [....] and I feel like we easily had our money's worth from it. It's more than just one channel....

From your examples, it sounds like they have their own "cable service"!  How many channels are there?  I'm assuming that by "channels" you mean basically "categories"?  That is, I assume you can watch any show from any "channel" at any time, rather than having to wait till it's "on"?

Exactly - it's more like a fat stack of virtual DVDs, sorted by categories. Same's true, btw, for Netflix and Amazon Prime, only in those cases it's less neatly organized. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Caya said:

Same's true, btw, for Netflix and Amazon Prime, only in those cases it's less neatly organized. 

Yes, I'd already gotten that impression!  There have been few times I wondered whether Netflix had a particular item -- I wasn't able to find them, but was never sure if that was because they didn't have it, or I simply had no idea where/how to look.   :(

In fact, we're on a free month of Prime right now, and I'm once more wondering why there doesn't seem to be a simple alphabetical list of what they have, that I could skim to see if anything interests me.  Why do I apparently have to click through their somewhat-random-sounding "categories" one row of thumbnails at a time?  I doubt that I'm sufficiently interested in anything to hunt for it by the needle-in-a-haystack method!

I don't know about the US market, but there's a German site called werstreamt.es (meaning whostreams.it) and I don't doubt there are others too, which lists movies, series etc. and tells you where to get them (streaming service and/or DVD). I find that one a lot more helpful than Prime in particular (which I practically never use to be honest, we mostly got that one for the free shipping and, oh yeah they offer some movies too I guess). Hopefully there's a similar site for your area too.

That sort of thing could indeed be helpful, though I have no idea whether there is one here.  I probably wouldn't use it that often, but it could keep me from wasting my time when no source exists, in addition to telling me where to look in the rare instances when there is one.

Hopefully someone here will know.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

At which point I'd discover that ... I'm spending far too much time watching television (which doesn't just mean I don't have that time for other things -- watching more than an hour or so a day leaves me feeling really blah). 

Exactly. I'm already too easily drawn into watching shows I don't even like that much, I'd never move from the couch if I had tons of shows that I actually wanted to see!

On the other hand, if I'm going to watch anyway, it sure would be nice to be able to watch something I like..... 

20 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

On the other hand, if I'm going to watch anyway, it sure would be nice to be able to watch something I like..... 

Why don’t you try it for a month sometime and see if you like it?  If you don’t, or you find you’re not watching it enough to make it worth the expense, you can just cancel and you’ll only be out $7.  You don’t have to pay for a year upfront.  And cancelling isn’t like trying to cancel cable, lol.  It’s just a button click.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Hopefully someone here will know.

I don’t know of anything like that, unfortunately.  I’ve seen some attempts, but they always turn out to be very unreliable, and then eventually abandoned.  It would be nice to have one.

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm once more wondering why there doesn't seem to be a simple alphabetical list of what they have, that I could skim to see if anything interests me.

I don’t really see the benefit of that, for most people.  There are thousands of movies and shows on each of the big streaming services at any given time, maybe tens of thousands on Prime.  People who know what they’re looking for can just do a search.  People who don’t know what they want to watch are only going to skim through 50 movies or so (if that) before they either pick a title or give up.  If the list were alphabetical, they probably wouldn’t even make it through the A’s, and movies further down the alphabet wouldn’t get any attention.  Categories seem messier but, in a way, give you a better chance of finding something you’d like to watch sooner, based on what you’re in the mood to see.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Artemis said:

People who know what they’re looking for can just do a search.  [....]  Categories seem messier but, in a way, give you a better chance of finding something you’d like to watch sooner, based on what you’re in the mood to see.

I would agree, except that Amazon Prime's idea of "categories" is not my idea of categories.  And I recall being unhappy with the Netflix search function.  (Sorry, I don't recall specifics in either case.)

On 2/11/2021 at 9:30 AM, Artemis said:

Back to WandaVision: I've had this theory since episode 2... Well, I have a lot of theories... But I have this theory that the oft-mentioned but never-present "Ralph" is going to turn out to be the Big Bad of this multiverse phase in the MCU.

I'm excited to see if I'm right, lol.

Welp, close enough. :lol: In other WandaVision news,

fAS2RyR.gif

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Caya said:

Welp, close enough. :lol:

Hey, it's not over yet!  I was already 99% certain about Agnes, but I still think she's going to end up being the small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.  My theory has been that she's working with or for the ultimate Big Bad.

With only two episodes left, though, I'm wondering if I might not really find out one way or the other until Doctor Strange 2 comes out, when we can see how this all connects.  This multiverse phase will build and carry over into several movies, I assume, like the Infinity Stones did.  I doubt Agnes is the next Thanos; I think it's got to be someone else.

One minor thing that caught my attention in this episode was when she said, "Ralph says I sugarcoat things."  If my theory is correct, that would fit.  Because that would mean she's the "nice" one, lol.

After last week's episode, I grew suspicious of "Pietro" when he started asking her how she created the reality.  (Not to mention, he never did answer her "test" question, and he had no moral qualms about what she was doing; rather, he said it was "impressive".)  It seemed like he was digging for information.

After this week's episode, I'm suspicious of the mailman, lol.  (Though I have been a tad suspicious of him since episode 2.)

Everyone's so suspicious.  :P 

And now I have "Agatha All Along" stuck in my head.