Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

"Loki" Charms, lol.

• Haha 1

Another one??

How many of these are they going to release?

Lol, why so many clips Marvel, whyyyy…

“Loki” promo/Hyundai commercial.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol okay, this one was actually kinda funny.

• Haha 1

@Caya, thought you might appreciate this.  :P 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I take it there's a story behind that?

It's related to "WandaVision".  There was a postman in the show who many people (including myself, briefly) thought was suspicious.  Theories about his true identity abounded, the most prominent being that he was the sinister supervillain, Mephisto.  But in the end, he turned out to be entirely innocuous.  "Just the messenger."

• Thanks 1

MCU viewers were looking everywhere for A Big Bad Villain to pop up in WandaVision, sometimes reading way too far into things; and many were absolutely sure Mephisto would make an appearance.  But nothing ever came of it all.  The hilarious end result is that "Mephisto sightings" have now become a running gag among people watching the Marvel series', lol.  That suspicious-looking guard?  "Mephisto!"  The devilish figure in the stained glass?  "Mephisto!"  That bug over there?  "Mephisto, confirmed!"  It's pretty funny watching everyone poke fun at it and themselves, lol.

• Haha 2

New “Ten Rings” trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can't say Marvel is shy about promoting its wares! :smile: 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

This appears to be new news -- mostly a bunch of "what if," but then again, it's legal "what if," so who knows?  In short, Marvel is currently, at least in theory, in jeopardy of losing its copyrights to Spiderman, Black Widow, Thor, Iron Man (and perhaps others), so it's proactively asking the court to rule on the situation.  This is a lawyer's analysis of the situation:

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, this is why artists hate "work for hire". 

It wouldn't break my heart if Marvel and/or Disney end up having to share their profit......

Right, sometimes an artist or writer invents a character that ends up earning the company tons of money, but receives only their regular salary, with no extra reward.  On the other hand, if they invent a bunch of characters that go nowhere, they get paid their regular salary anyhow.  So you could think of it as sort of income insurance.

I wasn't sure where I should put this, but this thread seems most appropriate.  Lucas Arnold will amaze you with his vocal dexterity.  This is only one of many compilations he's got on TikTok/YT.  His run of Marvel/Sherlock characters starts at the :17 mark.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 1:26 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Right, sometimes an artist or writer invents a character that ends up earning the company tons of money, but receives only their regular salary, with no extra reward.  On the other hand, if they invent a bunch of characters that go nowhere, they get paid their regular salary anyhow.  So you could think of it as sort of income insurance.

Actually, I rather suspect they get fired, but I get your point. :D  

I just got offered a commission, for something that will be reproduced, and they were rather surprised when I told them I'd just as soon do it as a work-for-hire piece. But frankly, I just don't want to fool with keeping track of royalties, etc. It's just a pamphlet/sign for a garden though, if I were designing a superhero for a massive corporation, I suspect I'd feel a little different ... but would probably not be offered the option. That's the part that rubs, you usually don't get any say in how you will be compensated. Ah well....

On 11/15/2021 at 2:59 PM, Hikari said:

I wasn't sure where I should put this, but this thread seems most appropriate.  Lucas Arnold will amaze you with his vocal dexterity.  This is only one of many compilations he's got on TikTok/YT.  His run of Marvel/Sherlock characters starts at the :17 mark.

He nailed Moriarty! Pretty good Sherlock, too. But what the heck is this "senorita" business? Me not know the reference.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

what the heck is this "senorita" business? Me not know the reference.

Thank you for asking -- I sort of assumed everyone knew about it but me.

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:37 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I googled it ... apparently it's a sexy pop song. But I don't get the connection. Must be a You Tube thing.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I googled it ... apparently it's a sexy pop song. But I don't get the connection. Must be a You Tube thing.

Thanks.  Maybe there isn't a logical connection, just one of those silly things that becomes a fad.  But I guess that amounts to the same thing you said.

On 11/23/2021 at 9:37 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

On 11/23/2021 at 9:03 PM, Arcadia said:

Actually, I rather suspect they get fired, but I get your point. :D  

I just got offered a commission, for something that will be reproduced, and they were rather surprised when I told them I'd just as soon do it as a work-for-hire piece. But frankly, I just don't want to fool with keeping track of royalties, etc. It's just a pamphlet/sign for a garden though, if I were designing a superhero for a massive corporation, I suspect I'd feel a little different ... but would probably not be offered the option. That's the part that rubs, you usually don't get any say in how you will be compensated. Ah well....

He nailed Moriarty! Pretty good Sherlock, too. But what the heck is this "senorita" business? Me not know the reference.

I didn't get it at first and then I realized it's the chorus to the Shawn Mendes/Camilla Cabello pop song of the same title.

He's got other phrases he uses . . Matthew McConaughey and others saying "I like your cut, G." and "Honey, I'm home."

His Tom Hiddleston was perfect, as was his Andrew Scott.  His Cumberbatch was very very good . . hard to get as deep as the 'Batch.  Downey, Jr. had me cracking up.  Mycroft very good also.  Really, just give this kid a berth on SNL already.  He's the next Bill Hader.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, Hikari said:

He's got other phrases he uses . . Matthew McConaughey and others saying "I like your cut, G." and "Honey, I'm home."

He's the next Bill Hader.

Yet more references I am unfamiliar with! :D Just more proof, folks, that I am getting old. :confused2:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/13/2021 at 8:53 PM, Caya said:

I don't know about the US market, but there's a German site called werstreamt.es (meaning whostreams.it) and I don't doubt there are others too, which lists movies, series etc. and tells you where to get them (streaming service and/or DVD). I find that one a lot more helpful than Prime in particular (which I practically never use to be honest, we mostly got that one for the free shipping and, oh yeah they offer some movies too I guess). Hopefully there's a similar site for your area too.

Just stumbled over a site named https://www.justwatch.com/ that seems to offer a similar service, only internationally (iirc you were looking for something like it back then). Does this one work for you?

• Thanks 1