Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

12 hours ago, Caya said:

Welp, close enough.

I've been seeing "welp" in writing more often over just the past few years -- mostly on the internet.  Before that, it was written mostly in dialog, to indicate that the speaker was a down-home type.  And it wasn't exactly a synonym of "well," it was simply the way "well" sounds when a person says it and then pauses briefly, thus allowing their lips to close.  There's a feeling of completion about it, or maybe just uncertainty.

But as I said, it's becoming more common, and appears in many cases to be simply another way of writing "well."  So I looked it up, and found an article on the Merriam-Webster (dictionary) website [link] which includes these passages:

Welp is a synonym of the interjection well, which is used to express surprise or signal the beginning of a comment or discussion ("Well, what have we here?" "Well, you're never going to believe this, but..."). But welp has a sense of resignation and finality that well often doesn't have

our earliest written use of welp goes back over 70 years. It shows up in a scholarly article on two of welp's linguistic cousins: yep and nope. Well gained that final -p as part of a normal process of articular: the lips come together to stop the sound of well and prepare for the next sound, and some hear that stoppage as a -p.

It looks to me now, though, like a lot of people are using that spelling as simply a somewhat humorous way of writing "well."  Too bad, but that's the way language evolves -- people using it as they see fit.

But yep and nope have been used so frequently in written as well as spoken English for as long as I can remember that it never occurred to me to wonder where their final "p" came from.  Plus they seem to have become words in their own right, synonyms of yes and no rather than just alternative spellings.  So it never occurred to me that they and "welp" acquired their final "p" in the same way.

I'd kinda love, though, if everyone was searching for the Big Bad Mephisto behind Agatha and then it'd turn out, no, there's nothing there, she was the one pulling the strings all along. :evilinside:But I admit I have a fondness for female villains. 

• Like 1

Those last two episodes made me cry.  :cry:

If the apparent foreshadowing is to be trusted, we'll probably be seeing Agatha again, this time in more of a helping role.  She's a cool villain; I could watch her cast spells all day.

No clear hint as to who the Big Bad might be, assuming there is going to be one.  Although "Ralph" was explained, I found the explanation dubious, lol.  I still suspect he’s more than what he seems.  The circumstances are just really weird, there are too many unanswered questions, and I'm not ready to take it at face value just yet.  As Vision put it, "I request elaboration."  I probably won't be satisfied on that point unless there are no further allusions to Ralph in future films, particularly Doctor Strange 2.  Then maybe I will drop it, lol.

The Doctor Strange theme music was playing while Wanda was reading through the Darkhold in the end credits scene, so I'm venturing a guess that whatever she was doing there (looking for a way to resurrect her children?) is going to play a role in the Multiverse of Madness.

Doctor Strange 2 was originally supposed to be released a few months after this series came out, but it got delayed until next year.  Stupid Covid.  <_<

• Like 1

I really liked that there was no Mephisto or Chthon or whoever behind Agatha, that she wasn't somebody's puppet but motivated by her own lust for power. :evilinside: And yeah, that scene when the Hex kept closing in, that was :cry:.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, Caya said:

I really liked that there was no Mephisto or Chthon or whoever behind Agatha, that she wasn't somebody's puppet but motivated by her own lust for power.

I’m still indifferent, like I said before, lol.  But I don’t have any special affinity for female villains.  I do prefer more realistic ones, though, with more realistic motives.  I don’t know much about Mephisto, Nightmare, Chthon, or any of the theorized villains from the comics, but they all sound a little “out there” to me, lol.  I’m sure the MCU would find a way to make them palatable, but... eh.

I figured there’d be no Mephisto (or whoever) with a major role in the series, simply because it’s a limited series and there’s not enough time for something like that.  I also don’t think they’d reveal their major overarching villain flat-out in a side series.  What I guessed would happen was that Agnes would turn out to be the main villain of the series, with her own motives, but there would be a hint at the overarching Big Bad of this multiverse phase of the MCU somewhere in a credits scene or something; similar to Avengers 1, where Loki was the villain but we got a vague reference to Thanos.  (After the huge success of Infinity War, I would be somewhat surprised if they didn’t have an arch-villain again this time around.)  And of course, I suspected Ralph, lol.  I didn’t think Agnes would be his puppet, but I thought they might be allied somehow (since she obviously knew him), and actually I still think that’s a possibility we could learn more about later.  Like I said, I’m not taking it at face value just yet, lol.

There’s a theory floating around now that Ralph is the “missing witness” from the Witness Protection Program, mentioned in episode 4.  I think that’s plausible.  It doesn’t make much sense to me that Agatha could hand out powers like superspeed to random people.  It also doesn’t make much sense that an alternate-universe Pietro just happens to be in Westview, where Agatha could use him.  Unless the writers were just plain trolling (also plausible), it’d be pretty strange if someone who looks like Peter, acts like Peter, decorates his “man cave” like Peter, and has superspeed like Peter, is some random dude from Westview named Ralph.  Whatever the case may be, I think there’s more of a story there, and I still have Ralph suspicions, lol.

And I’ve had “Agatha All Along” stuck in my head for weeks now, lol.  That was one of the best parts; maybe even my favorite part.  :D 

• Like 1

That tune is quite catchy, admittedly. :lol:

While I suspect that Pietro's actor was stunt casting / trolling, you have an excellent point about that missing witness. I forgot about that plot point already. :blush:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can pay $8/month or $80/year.  I subscribed for $7/month, but they’re raising the price $1.

”Loki” starts on June 11.  It’s 6 episodes long, and they’ll release one episode per week.  If I were you, I’d wait to subscribe until they’ve all been released.  That way you can binge “Loki”, “WandaVision”, and “Falcon/Winter Soldier”, and only pay for a month if you want to.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was Shang Chi a comic? Somehow I missed this one entirely. Although given that it's martial arts, perhaps that's not so surprising. I got into Jackie Chan lonnnnnnnng after I stopped reading comix, and I'm entertained more by his humor than his fighting skill. :smile:

Will be interesting to see how the new crop of Marvel films fare. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest that any of them will have the same impact that RDJ had as Iron Man. That was an inspired bit of casting and set the tone for the whole MCU. Now they seem more interested in diversity, which is not exactly a bad thing. Wonder if it will pay off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

That was an inspired bit of casting and set the tone for the whole MCU. Now they seem more interested in diversity, which is not exactly a bad thing. Wonder if it will pay off.

I've seen very few of these movies, so I'm not sure what type(s) of "diversity" you're talking about.  If they're going for differing outlooks and different ways of dealing with things, that could make for more interesting plots.  Introducing characters from different genders, different cultures, different socio-ecomonic backgrounds and such could facilitate this -- but if it amounts to merely spray-painting similar characters in different colors, they've missed an awful lot of the potential.  It might make more sense to hire diverse writers first, and let the characters spring more organically from their input.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I've seen very few of these movies, so I'm not sure what type(s) of "diversity" you're talking about.  If they're going for differing outlooks and different ways of dealing with things, that could make for more interesting plots.  Introducing characters from different genders, different cultures, different socio-ecomonic backgrounds and such could facilitate this -- but if it amounts to merely spray-painting similar characters in different colors, they've missed an awful lot of the potential.  It might make more sense to hire diverse writers first, and let the characters spring more organically from their input.

I think I meant diverse in both of the senses you described above, Carol. At first the MCU was about super-strong Western white guys ... Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Cap. Then, as in the comics, they began introducing supporting characters that were women, people of color, non-super, non-Western, and non-human. :smile: Now it appears the white strongmen are largely gone, and the front line is becoming people like Captain Marvel (super strong but female), Dr. Strange (white guy, but intellectual with Eastern-ish philosophy), Black Panther (I can't remember if he's super strong or just very athletic, but he's foreign, and a black leader, not a black sidekick),  Spiderman (super strong white kid, but emphasis on kid) and now Shang Chi (Asian-style martial arts with an Asian cast.) And those are just a) the cinematic characters and b) the ones I know about. 

Also I gather Dr. Strange's next film is supposed to be more in the horror genre (alas). And I would say martial arts is its own genre. And apparently future stories are planned to be less earthbound ... which to me means more sci fi-y and less superhero-y. So they're obviously throwing out different stuff to see what sticks. The question is, as you say, are they doing this for the sake of good storytelling ... or are they doing this just to look more politically correct, and will be rehashing the same old themes? Have to wait and see, I guess.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Now it appears the white strongmen are largely gone

... which is, in my opinion, a shame..  Did I hear that they actually killed off a bunch of them, including Iron Man?  As I've said about one local company's hiring practices, straight (or, in this case, strong) white males are just as diverse as anyone else.

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

The question is, as you say, are they doing this for the sake of good storytelling ... or are they doing this just to look more politically correct

I'm not really invested in the MCU universe (perhaps just as well?), but yeah, we'll see.  I'm not terribly optimistic.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:47 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

... which is, in my opinion, a shame..  Did I hear that they actually killed off a bunch of them, including Iron Man?  As I've said about one local company's hiring practices, straight (or, in this case, strong) white males are just as diverse as anyone else.

I'm not really invested in the MCU universe (perhaps just as well?), but yeah, we'll see.  I'm not terribly optimistic.

Just in case... :smile:

Spoiler

They killed off Iron Man, yes. Cap went back in time, Thor went into space, I don't recall what happened to Hulk or Hawkeye but they were alive. So if necessary, they could bring most of them back.

I think the MCU has been surprisingly good so far. I wasn't expecting much; after all, it's based on comic books! But the actors, the stories and the visuals have been uniformly well done. The Captain America series in particular has been excellent, which really surprised me as I was never fond of the character. But they found a fresh way to approach him.

I think most of the credit goes to the excellent casting, though. They had a roster of super charismatic leads. I think they will be hard to replace. Certainly I was not that impressed with the actress who played Captain Marvel, for example. But again ... we'll see!

• Thanks 1

So, “Falcon and the Winter Soldier”...

Before its release, I was lamenting the fact that it was only going to be 6 episodes long.  By episode 5, I was relieved I would only have to suffer through one more.  If not for my compulsion to know how everything connects in future movies, I would have quit after episode 2.

It had maybe three good moments.  Baron Zemo was the best thing about it, and even his potential was wasted; story and character development were an escalator to nowhere.

Oy, what a mess.  I was really looking forward to this and it was just so, so disappointing.  I wouldn’t even know where to start with a review, there was so much wrong with it.  The only thing from the MCU thus far that I will probably never rewatch.

• Sad 2

Well, bummer. I was hoping that would be one of the better ones, just because I like Anthony Mackie so well. Although now you've got me curious what's so awful about it.... :D 

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Well, bummer. I was hoping that would be one of the better ones, just because I like Anthony Mackie so well. Although now you've got me curious what's so awful about it.... :D 

Don't take my word for it, you may love it!  Some people do.  *Shrug*

You could always read reviews on IMDB.  I haven't been through them myself but they might give you a better idea.

• Thanks 1

What have been some of your favorites so far, Artie?

I surprised myself and thought the Cap movies were some of the most well done, especially Civil War. (I was never a Cap fan in the comics.) I liked all the Iron Man films and the first Thor (but not too crazy about the others.) The first and last two Avengers were great.

Black Panther didn't do too much for me, I'm afraid, and neither did the Spiderman movies. Or Mar-vell. Never got around to seeing Guardians or Ant Man, I suspect I would like Guardians though.

And I enjoyed Dr. Strange, but not sure I would have gotten as much out of it if it had been anyone but Ben, though. Although that kind of story is right up my alley, and Strange was my favorite comic for years. But the movies a little slow compared to some of the others. Not that that's always a bad thing.

What've I missed? Was there ever a Hulk movie (Mark Ruffalo version), or was he restricted to the Avengers films? Never a character I cared for, so hoo hey. :smile: Hawkeye was always my favorite Avenger, but he didn't come across as well in the movies, imo.

I'm rambling, must be more tired than I realized. Shall ramble elsewhere now.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:09 PM, Arcadia said:

Was there ever a Hulk movie (Mark Ruffalo version), or was he restricted to the Avengers films? Never a character I cared for, so hoo hey.

He was restricted.  There is a Hulk film that is officially part of the MCU (it has an end credits scene with Nick Fury and Tony Stark in it, if I recall correctly); but the actor is Edward Norton, not Mark Ruffalo.  I never heard why they changed actors, but I do know that Universal owns the rights to solo Hulk films, and the adversarial relationship between Universal and Disney has prevented the Hulk from having his own movie franchise.

As for my favorites, it's really hard to say!  Each film and each franchise has its own unique tone.  And the movies that I think are best executed, the movies with the characters I like best, and the movies I end up rewatching the most, aren't necessarily all the same.

Doctor Strange has a special place in my heart, because 1) Benedict Cumberbatch, 2) it introduced a wider world of magic into the MCU, and most of all 3) it gets partial credit for rejuvenating my interest in superhero films.  I was burnt out on them for years, and Doctor Strange came along with something new for me at just the right time.  (The rest of the credit goes to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Thor: Ragnarok.)

Overall I think the films fall into about 4 tiers for me.  The first tier goes to my top favorites, for any reason (could even be as simple as nostalgia).  The second tier belongs to films I love almost as much as my top tier, and find myself rewatching on the regular.  The third tier belongs to movies that I like and think are good, but don't rewatch as often.  The fourth and final tier is my least favorites.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Doctor Strange 1
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Iron Man 3
Avengers 1

Thor: The Dark World
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man 1
Thor 1
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ant-Man 1
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame
Spider-Man: Far From Home

Iron Man 2
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
The Incredible Hulk

And like I said, my reasons vary widely.  For example, I think the Ant-Man movies are fun and sweet and well-made, but I rarely watch them because his superpower doesn't interest me as much as others.  Same issue with the Hulk, who is actually a very interesting character once you start getting into the details.  I was surprised by how relatable I found him to be in the Hulk movie, which I put off watching until just before Endgame came out.  But "enormous green rage-monster" just doesn't enrapture me.

Steve Rogers is one of my favorite characters (of which I have many).  His trilogy is great.  But it's low on my list of rewatchability.  The Winter Soldier, while very well done, was too "real-world" for me, in a way that felt ordinary.  That angle is probably what people liked so much about it, but I prefer something a little more fantastical and less militaristic.  (Sidenote: Bucky is another fave of mine, and I was always hoping to see him in a larger role with more lines, which never materialized.)  I get a similar feeling from The First Avenger, though not quite so heavily.  Civil War (while being more of an Avengers movie than a Cap Am movie, honestly) was also well done, and there are parts I really love; but I was tired of watching the characters fight with each other all the time.  They were fighting in Avengers 1 and Age of Ultron, and still in Infinity War and the beginning of Endgame.  And by the end of Endgame, they had all split up (or died) anyway.  There was only the briefest time, between the end of Avengers 1 and the beginning of Ultron, where they were actually getting along, having fun, and acting like friends.  I longed for more moments like that, so when Civil War rolled around and the entire premise was Avengers facing off over a disagreement, I was fatigued.

Everyone hates on The Dark World, and allegedly it's one of the worst films, if not the very worst.  But in spite of its hammy and senseless villain, I thought it was humorous and had some great character development.  If I absolutely had to choose, I'd probably say the Thor trilogy is my favorite.  It's not necessarily as intricate as Cap Am's, but I love the fantasy feel of them and just enjoy having them on.  And as I've said elsewhere before, Thor and Loki's sibling feud is one of my favorite relationship dynamics in the MCU.  If not for those elements, and Iron Man 2 being so forgettable, I might give my "favorite" spot to the Iron Man trilogy.  Tony Stark is another of my favorite characters and I really love Iron Man 3 (also proclaimed one of the worst MCU films).

P.S.  I know only a little of Hawkeye in the comics, but he still manages to be one of my favorite characters in the films, despite a smaller role and character development that seems to happen mostly off-screen, lol.  I hope his Disney+ series will be good.

P.P.S.  I really think you would like Ant-Man as well as Guardians.  You should give them a shot.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Artemis said:

He was restricted.  There is a Hulk film that is officially part of the MCU (it has an end credits scene with Nick Fury and Tony Stark in it, if I recall correctly); but the actor is Edward Norton, not Mark Ruffalo.  I never heard why they changed actors, but I do know that Universal owns the rights to solo Hulk films, and the adversarial relationship between Universal and Disney has prevented the Hulk from having his own movie franchise.

Aha, of course. Maybe the actor switch has something to do with the "adversarial relationship" too. I never saw the Ed Norton version (I seem to recall it was panned as well -- ??) and didn't realize it was considered part of the MCU, but I really like Mark Ruffalo's portrayal, so all's good.

And yay! Another Iron Man 3 fan! I've seen a lot of people dismiss it but I think it was my favorite of the three; it was a bit out of the box, for one thing. It took me by surprise when I saw it, I figured it would be more along the lines of the first two. And I LOVED that the little boy showed up at Tony's funeral at the end of End Game. It's that kind of continuity and attention to detail that cements my love for this universe. (And lack of continuity is something that always bugged me about Sherlock. Just sayin'.)

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, but Age of Ultron was a bit of a disappointment ... for one thing, as you say, too much fighting; and the story just didn't grip me. And now that all these allegations are coming out about Joss, it's sort of tainting everything he's done, which really bums me out. Firefly was one of the best things ever to hit TV and right now I don't have the heart to watch it....

Thor and Loki's sibling feud is one of my favorite relationship dynamics in the MCU.

Ditto. I completely get why Loki is such a favorite character of so many, and I love the way they play off each other.

P.P.S.  I really think you would like Ant-Man as well as Guardians.  You should give them a shot.

I think I would too. (I love both Zoe Saldana and Evangeline Lilly, for one thing.) I just haven't gotten around to them. Someday, I hope. I have rather a lot of other things distracting me these days, alas. I don't think I've watched a movie in at least six months ... I don't ever have two hours in a row when I can just sit and enjoy. And I hate watching movies in interrupted bits, spoils it. 

I'm hoping my situation will change in a few more months, though. I may celebrate by binge-watching all the Marvel movies in order. :-) 

• Like 1