Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

Rumor has it that the title for Avengers 4 is supposed to be revealed this month.  I'm not sure why all the secrecy (other than marketing, of course).  They claim the title will reveal a lot about the contents of the movie, but it's probably not nearly as telling as they're hyping it to be, lol.  If it's anything to do with time travel/manipulation, anyone who's been paying attention is already aware that time will play a part in the film.

I'm not sure how to feel about this upcoming installment.  I want to be excited, but some of the main heroes are certain to die (for keeps, this time), and others will probably be retired in some form or another to make way for the new generation of heroes (which is better than dying, but still sad for me).  I'm not really ready to say goodbye to characters I've invested in for 10 years.  It's going to be bittersweet.

• Like 1

tumblr_pi40ypxpw81w7hvuq_500.jpg

tumblr_pi3q2puujl1xnz8nro3_640.jpg

"This week is a week to celebrate Stan Lee's legacy.

Go read a comic, watch a Marvel movie, go play a superhero video game.
Make fan art and write fan fiction and make fan-mades and everything you want.

Let's cherish our favorite characters, our favorite stories.
They wouldn't exist without him."

“The amazing thing to be thankful for is that Stan got to see it all happen, Stan dominated pop culture. He saw it and was aware and he loved it. I’ve been saying for years that the characters he created will outlive all of us making the movies, and enter the pantheon of myth which he read and was inspired by as a kid, Stan was always very gracious with all of us at Marvel Studios and very encouraging. Despite his persona on stage, Stan was very humble. He was not the type to come in and tell us how to be, but he encouraged us to follow his lead. Take ‘Black Panther’ — people would talk about the importance of the movie and what a brave thing it was for Walt Disney Studios to spend this kind of money on an almost entirely African-American cast — which is entirely true. But look at what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby did in the 1960s, creating that character in the center of the Civil Rights movement, At many turns, as we work on the movies and aim to do justice, part of that is in taking those kinds of risks. And recognizing the important thematics that Stan did, I’m not going to tell you what specifically, but Stan always appreciated a good surprise.”

“The light on the phone was blinking and I checked the message, Fearless Feige, this is Stan Lee. It was just a voicemail, he just needed something. But I was, ‘I think Stan Lee gave me a nickname.’ It was amazing. It seemed like a tradition you should not break, even though it was the first one, It would be a holiday on set, when he came to do this cameos. That’s how much he inspired people. Whether it was the beginning of the shoot, the middle, the end, the energy would skyrocket when he came on the set. Those are my strongest memories, And as much as we and the audience love the cameos, Stan loved and was so proud of every one. One of the many things I learned from Stan was that everyone likes a surprise, We’ll think about an appropriate way [to honor him], but even in the 18 years I’ve been at Marvel, the appropriate way is to do justice to the amazing characters and stories that he created. And we’ll continue to do that. He was a 95-year old man, I’m realistic, but he’s also Stan Lee. He’s a mythological legend who’s had more energy than me ever since the first day I met him. Part of me thought he would live forever.”

— Kevin Feige

[Link 1]
[Link 2]

• Like 1

Yeah, I appreciate these Artemis. 

One of my favorite things about the Marvel films was looking for Stan Lee's cameo. It won't be quite the same without him.

I thought of that … but I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. Depends on how they handle it, I guess. I found the CGI Leia rather creepy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'd rather they don't do the cameo in CGI, too much and too weird.

Someone being a rebel here.

Screenshot-20181115-073237.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn’t like a CGI cameo either.  It is weird, and it wouldn’t really be Stan.  It’s not the same.

What I would like to see is RDJ carry on the cameo tradition.  :smile:  Depending on what they have planned for Tony Stark in the next Avengers... Most people are predicting death, but if he has to go away, I’d rather see him happily retired.

In any case, we’ve probably still got one or two more Stan cameos to see.  Avengers 4 is already filmed, and perhaps Captain Marvel as well.

• Like 1

tumblr_pi5jlfZ97v1wonjtqo2_r2_540.gif

tumblr_pi5jlfZ97v1wonjtqo4_r1_540.gif

tumblr_pi5jlfZ97v1wonjtqo3_r1_540.gif

tumblr_pi5jlfZ97v1wonjtqo1_r3_540.gif

tumblr_pi5jlfZ97v1wonjtqo5_r1_540.gif

tumblr_pi5jlfZ97v1wonjtqo6_r1_540.gif

"I saw a fly crawling on the wall, and I said, "Wow! Suppose a person had the power to stick to a wall like an insect." So I was often running and I thought, "What do I call him?" I tried Mosquito Man — that didn’t have any glamour. Insect Man — that was even worse. I went down the line and I got to Spider-Man! It sounded mysterious and dramatic. And lo, a legend was born!"

Thank goodness we didn’t get Mosquito Man, lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Petition for there to be a Tony Stark cameo in every marvel film after A4 where he’s just chilling while the world goes to shit

signed

RDJ takes over as the new cameo guy in each MCU film. It’ll just be little things like:

Tony with cucumber slices on his eyes, treating himself at the spa; he hears a loud crash outside. He peels the cucumber slice off one eye, looking outside the window. Giant Man has just thrown a tractor trailer across town. He lays back down, “Glad it’s not my problem.”

Peter Parker has had a long adventure and then he gets a ping on his phone. It’s a video of Tony and baby Morgan playing with a Spider-Man action figure.

A quick flash on the news of interviewers hounding Tony while he’s feeding pigeons at the park. “Would Iron Man like to comment?” Tony just stares blankly at them, “Iron Man? Who’s that?” then rollers skates pop out of his loafers and he zips away.

peter parker’s first day in college, he’s walking up the stairs, and suddenly a shiny-ass audi rolls up in front of the front door, silver fox!tony stark gets out of the car, everybody watches, the students’ jaws are on the floor, and the ever unmoved tony just withdraws his hand with a paper bag in it to peter, “you forgot your lunch, pete”

tumblr_penexi3WBZ1urfl54_500.jpg

[Link]

Yeeees.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

let’s talk about the future of rdj+the mcu because i want to share what i think would be an ideal and, quite honestly, hilarious way for rdj to continue to stay involved without tony stark needing to be central to the storyline post-a4

after 10+ years and as the man who jumpstarted it all, it would be bittersweet for him to remove himself completely from the mcu. so i hope:

• he becomes an executive producer and gets to have some creative input in the future of the franchise, similar to jon favreau and stan lee.
  • he continues to mentor and provide guidance to the new stars that’ll join the mcu in the future
  • he becomes the new cameo guy
    • he doesn’t even have to be tony stark
    • but for some reason, tony stark or someone who looks a lot like tony stark keeps appearing randomly
    • he’s in the background of a scene buying a hot dog from a street vendor
    • a car chase scene happens and he’s one of the innocent people in the other cars caught in the crossfire
    • one of the new avengers ends up at a hospital and he’s there holding a baby (his baby!)
    • he’s a news anchor delivering a report on the latest threat to the city
    • something huge happens in central park and he’s there feeding the ducks
    • etc. etc.

i just think it would be really funny okay

[Link]

unnamed-2.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artemis said:

unnamed-2.gif

Shout-out to my fellow vintage 1965 Gen Xer, Robert Downey, Jr. for representing 53 years old so well.  He gives middle-aged people everywhere hope that sh*t doesn't have to fall completely apart in the 50s.

Of course, he works at it.  Maybe I don't want to work that hard . .lol.

RDJ deserves kudos also for being that rarest of rarities:  A Hollywood A-list celeb who had a messed up childhood and a severe drug problem who *went to rehab and made it stick*  THAT is is superpower.

• Like 3

tumblr_n352qo0pdm1s8gytco6_r1_250.gif

The fortitude it must have taken to turn his life around is admirable, and I hope he's proud of himself.

I know, I just saw it! I'm excited. I can't remember the last time I looked forward to a movie this much. (Hope I'm not disappointed. Must … quash … expectations...)

Besides, now we can have a new trope: "Even Dr. Strange came back before Sherlock." :D 

• Haha 2

In other Marvel movie news . . and this is bound to make all you MCU fans out there really happy:  the Golden Globe nominations were announced the other day, and Black Panther is in the running for Best Drama of 2018.  Chadwick Boseman is not nominated for Best Actor however.

The Globes are the precursor to the Oscars and are indicators of which movies will be heavily favored at the Academy Awards a month or so later.  We are charting new territory if a Marvel superhero movie is really going to be contention for the Best Picture Oscar.  (If there have been others, someone please enlighten me.)  Black Panther was the biggest opening Marvel has ever had (at least until Avengers Infinity War) . . I don't think it belongs in the Best Picture category myself, no matter how popular.  Because it's a comic book movie.  If that makes me a film snob, I plead guilty.  I think 2018 was possibly the weakest year for movies we have ever had.

Black Panther faces competition from 'Black KkKlansman' . . I could not make this stuff up.  A bright spot in an otherwise bleak landscape is Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga's A Star is Born--a film I liked very much for the transformative performances by both Cooper and Gaga.  It is a big budget studio concept film popular entertainment at its best & is well-acted and designed.  I wouldn't have said it deserves to stand in the company of Citizen Kane and Laurence of Arabia, but then, Best Picture nominees are so often disappointing and/or relics of their times.  The Oscars that matter to me are the performance ones, and when a performance is truly deserving and the actor/actress truly made happy, that is a good Oscar show.

I won't be watching this year most likely.