Superhero Films Discussion (Marvel, DC, etc.)

Artemis

No, I wouldn't have nominated Black Panther for Best Picture either; I think Infinity War had a far better script. I would nominate it for "most positive representation of a race that is a minority in America", however. :D I might have nominated Danai Gurira, too; I thought she was terrific.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Hikari said:

I don't think it belongs in the Best Picture category myself, no matter how popular.  Because it's a comic book movie.  If that makes me a film snob, I plead guilty.

Yes it does.  :P  That's alright though.

In my opinion, a good movie is a good movie, regardless of what type of movie it is.

That said, I couldn't give two hoots about the awards.  I was over the moon when LotR: Return of the King was acknowledged, being in the Fantasy genre and all (it was finally too epic to be ignored), but that was the one and only time I cared.  I think that winners and nominees are often chosen for political reasons as much as anything else, and I don't think Black Panther is an exception.  It wasn't a better movie than other Marvel movies to date, and I don't think it deserves Best Drama.  I'm trying to remember everything I saw this year, but as of right now I'd probably give that to Bohemian Rhapsody.

• Like 2

Yup.

I am happy to see Green Book nominated though. Although I'm not sure what it's doing in the comedy category; it's funny, but it's not a comedy. I've never had much interest in the Globes anyway; it's always seemed very insider-y. I might watch long enough to see if BC wins for Patrick Melrose, but only if he's there. :smile: 

This is weird, I keep hearing accordion music turning on, then off, outside. What the...?

I haven't seen Green Book yet, but probably will on Sunday.

Did you figure out what the noise was?

6 hours ago, Artemis said:

I was over the moon when LotR: Return of the King was acknowledged, being in the Fantasy genre and all (it was finally too epic to be ignored)....

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I am happy to see Green Book nominated though.

After reading an article about Green Book, I see that there's a connection here -- namely Viggo Mortensen.  But talk about playing two different characters!

In Green Book, Mortensen plays one of the two main characters, namely the "working-class Italian-American bouncer-turned-driver."

I didn't recognize him from the photos till I read the captions -- he's got his hair all slicked down and apparently dyed black, a far cry appearance-wise from either Aragorn or the kid in Witness.

48 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

You didn't know that Viggo Mortensen was in Lord of the Rings???  :o

;)

How dare you impugn my knowledge of LotR.  :P

Didn't recognize him at all in the Green Book trailer.  Or in Witness, for that matter.

10 hours ago, Artemis said:

Did you figure out what the noise was?

Alas, no, by the time I got to a window it had stopped and I didn't see any movement anywhere. I'm just going to blame the neighbors.

9 hours ago, Artemis said:

Ah-ha!

tumblr_pjdd31y3c51vfmsbyo3_540.gif

tumblr_pjdd31y3c51vfmsbyo2_540.gif

tumblr_pjdd31y3c51vfmsbyo1_540.gif

Ooooooo. "Up there" meaning space, I suppose? 

8 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

After reading an article about Green Book, I see that there's a connection here -- namely Viggo Mortensen.  But talk about playing two different characters!

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

In Green Book, Mortensen plays one of the two main characters, namely the "working-class Italian-American bouncer-turned-driver."

I didn't recognize him from the photos till I read the captions -- he's got his hair all slicked down and apparently dyed black, a far cry appearance-wise from either Aragorn or the kid in Witness.

Part of the humor in the movie (at least, for me) was watching noble, reserved, erudite, skinny Aragorn playing this overweight, garrulous mook of a guy. And the other character is the epitome of refinement. 'Twas brilliant.

23 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

In a manner of speaking.  The whole quote (from Age of Ultron) is: “A hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space.  We’re standing 300 feet below it.  We’re the Avengers.  We can bust arms dealers all the livelong day, but that up there?  That’s the endgame.”  It’s in the scene where they’re arguing about Tony messing around with technology that gets out of hand, and he’s talking about needing to come up with a better way to protect Earth, or they’ll be fighting a losing battle.  Guess he was right.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Alas, no, by the time I got to a window it had stopped and I didn't see any movement anywhere. I'm just going to blame the neighbors.

Part of the humor in the movie (at least, for me) was watching noble, reserved, erudite, skinny Aragorn playing this overweight, garrulous mook of a guy. And the other character is the epitome of refinement. 'Twas brilliant.

Viggo Mortensen fans . . if you want to see him in a role that is utterly original . . that will make you ask whether his character is a true visionary or just a certifiably insane narcissist, check him out in Captain Fantastic.

He's no epitome of refinement there, but 'brilliant' I will give you.

His Aragorn was a revelation to me from the guy I had only known previously from greasy thug parts, as in A Perfect Murder.  Just think . . we almost got Stuart Townsend instead.  I think Viggo's Aragorn was a very large part of the selection of Return of the King as Best Picture of 2003.

RotK did break the mold for the fantasy genre to be awarded the industry's  highest honor, but for me there is a very significant difference in craftsmanship between Peter Jackson's trilogy and anything in the Marvel universe.  Personal taste.  I'm rooting for a Star is Born but the MCU fandom may get its wish come Oscar time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hikari said:

but for me there is a very significant difference in craftsmanship between Peter Jackson's trilogy and anything in the Marvel universe.  Personal taste.

I don’t think anyone here is saying that Marvel is on par with LotR, lol.  I’m not even sure that’s a matter of personal taste; even objectively speaking (as objective as one can be about a movie), there’s not much that can touch LotR if you look at all that went into it.

But I do think Marvel can easily stand up to the majority of films that are churned out — even some of the best.

I wasn’t such a fan of Viggo Mortensen’s Aragorn.  I got used to him, but he just didn’t seem very “Aragornish” to me.  Same for some of the other characters.  But Ian McKellen was the perfect Gandalf, and Sean Astin was the perfect Sam.  Subjectively speaking, of course.

I’ve seen Viggo Mortensen in A Perfect Murder, and Witness, apparently.  But I can’t recall seeing him in anything else, besides Hidalgo.  So if I see Green Book, it’ll be the first time I’ve seen him in a movie since then.

tumblr_pjfcdnWVIG1rng4w3o1_1280.png

The official MCU timeline (in chronological order, not by release date).

Okay, so where's Captain Marvel been all this time? Interesting....

I should probably dig back through all my old comics and try to remind myself where Cap M fits into all this. Except he was still a he at that point, and Carol Danvers was just his love interest, so it probably doesn't matter. I'll wait and be surprised. :P 

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

I'll wait and be surprised. :P 

That’s what I’m going to do, lol.

On 12/8/2018 at 8:30 AM, Arcadia said:

Part of the humor in the movie (at least, for me) was watching noble, reserved, erudite, skinny Aragorn playing this overweight, garrulous mook of a guy.

And according to Wikipedia, the "overweight" was all homegrown Viggo Mortensen:  "[Mortensen] began negotiations to star in the film in May 2017, and put on 40–50 pounds for the role."

As I've said before, I wish actors wouldn't sacrifice their future health for their roles.  He's apparently lost the extra weight now, but if he does this often enough, he may find it harder and harder to lose the weight.  Apparently one's body eventually decides there's a famine going on, and goes into low-metabolism mode.

• Like 2

Yeah, that bothers me too. I know some of them say they do it "safely" (under a nutritionist's guidance, or something) but still … shouldn't have to risk your health just to entertain people, imo.

I wondered if he gained weight for the role.  I always feel bad for actors who do that, I hope it wasn’t too much of a struggle to drop the weight again...

My Christmas present to myself should be watching all the MCU movies I missed, like Spidey and Guardians. I bet I don't, though. :( 

:o  You haven’t seen them?!  Get on that!  You should at least watch them before you see Endgame.  Did you miss both Guardians, or just one?