The WTF Thread

I both saw and observed it, but dismissed its utility. :P 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Same topic, but we have to be responsible in current situation.

Nightmare now comes with social distancing!

21522760-krasnodar8-1522740553-650-7a470

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm not a fan of rules, but I think it is needed now. False advertisement is one thing, but wastage is already a crucial problem.

This is in the same level with ridiculous excess-packaging.

IMG-20210124-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210124-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210124-WA0007.jpg

These are the sample of excess packaging

images-1.jpg

unnecessary-wasteful-packaging-9-5ac483c

unnecessary-wasteful-packaging-98-5ac765

I myself have just receive my online shopping, four tiny tupperwares, packed in box (that can fit approx three dozens of those), each wrapped in more than one meter bubble wrap in length. And more bubble wraps to fill the empty space inside the box. I now have enough materials to open an online store.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

For years now I've been seeing vitamin bottles getting bigger and bigger, and had been assuming the manufacturers were simply wanting more shelf space than their competitors.  But it recently occurred to me that they may be more or less legally required to use bottles that could easily hold several times that many pills.

Used to be, a bottle of supplements would just say "Vitamin C" or "Bilberry" or whatever, plus how much was in each pill, and maybe a few otherliittle things.  Nowadays, they still have to put that of course, but they also have to list ALL the ingredients (which is a good idea), and they have to let you know if the label says anything that hasn't been explicitly approved by the government (which is an improvement over their previous rule, not allowing them to say such things at all), and so on and so forth.  So it's not really the vitamin bottle that needs to be oversized -- it's the label!

• Like 1

I agree. Waste is a real problem, and excess packaging too. It's the same problem in my country. It's ridiculous, really. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

For years now I've been seeing vitamin bottles getting bigger and bigger, and had been assuming the manufacturers were simply wanting more shelf space than their competitors.  But it recently occurred to me that they may be more or less legally required to use bottles that could easily hold several times that many pills.

Used to be, a bottle of supplements would just say "Vitamin C" or "Bilberry" or whatever, plus how much was in each pill, and maybe a few otherliittle things.  Nowadays, they still have to put that of course, but they also have to list ALL the ingredients (which is a good idea), and they have to let you know if the label says anything that hasn't been explicitly approved by the government (which is an improvement over their previous rule, not allowing them to say such things at all), and so on and so forth.  So it's not really the vitamin bottle that needs to be oversized -- it's the label!

I assume you're being a bit facetious, because I've bought many bottles where they've solved the problem by making the label bigger (folded over itself) instead of making the bottle bigger. So I suspect your first assumption ... they want to take up more shelf space ... is closer to the truth!

I hate excess packaging, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Sometimes I just need a thing, regardless of how it's packaged. And now I'm hearing that recycling is bad too (I haven't taken the time to find out why, yet). Good grief.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

And now I'm hearing that recycling is bad too (I haven't taken the time to find out why, yet). Good grief.

Let me know if you find out.   :blink:

Pending further news, one of my main peeves is packaging that's not recyclable, even when it easily could be.  Like the plastic produce bags at the local natural foods market which have no recycling code (or anything else) printed on them.  Wouldn't ya think?  I need to ask why -- wondering whether maybe they're number 5 plastic, which may be less likely to leach into the food, but which (in bag form) isn't recyclable around here even if it *does* have a code.  I keep meaning to bring my own pre-used bags (either recyclables from the grocery store or just re-use those unprinted ones).

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:37 PM, Arcadia said:

assume you're being a bit facetious, because I've bought many bottles where they've solved the problem by making the label bigger (folded over itself) instead of making the bottle bigger.

Indeed, I have seen some with label folds, the one I remember is Petroleum Jelly Vaseline.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Like the plastic produce bags at the local natural foods market which have no recycling code (or anything else) printed on them. 

I have only seen very very few places that have plastic with recycling code to be honest.

On 1/26/2021 at 12:37 AM, Arcadia said:

I assume you're being a bit facetious, because I've bought many bottles where they've solved the problem by making the label bigger (folded over itself) instead of making the bottle bigger

I recall seeing only one product with a label like that, and they later changed to the regular kind -- perhaps because a lot of people (such as me for quite a while) didn't realize there was more on the back.  So I wasn't being facetious at all -- though I do suspect that once some companies made their bottles bigger (for whatever reason), the competitors felt obligated to follow suit, so as not to be relatively invisible on the store shelf.

11 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I have only seen very very few places that have plastic with recycling code to be honest.

Very few bags, bottles, etc., you mean?  I'm not sure that it's required by law here in the US, but there are codes on the vast majority of molded plastic containers -- bottles, jars, tubs, etc.  As for bags, some have the code printed on and some don't, perhaps because it would require an extra step in the manufacturing process (whereas with molded plastic, the code is molded in).

I guess I never noticed in bottles too, will have to pay more attention. Basically there are not much 'proper' effort at recycling here, with lack of facilities as well, but there are more reuse and repurpose efforts.

Anyway, in topic, anytime you feel that your living condition is inadequate, remember at least you don't have the convinience to save time by stirring your soup while pooping.

CJ3axmcl-QVh-png-700.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Noòooo, I supposed this is those extremely small apartments. I thought this setup only exists in movies, but it seems quite common.

Since you ask..

CEb-K-wv-Fza-H-png-700.jpg

problematic-designs-typicalrykozhop-4-60

• Confused 2

Good heavens!  I've seen a lot of half-bathrooms located just off a kitchen, and thought they were pretty awkward (especially if everyone else was sitting at the kitchen table when I needed to "go"), but they seem downright luxurious by comparison to those pictures!

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

Those could be some of my "Toilet Dreams".

Ah, the toilet of your dreams!    :inlove:

• Haha 1

It is "discussions" like this that keep me coming back to this forum. 😄 

• Haha 2

Just noticed another "WTF" item -- right here on this page.  I came here immediately after posting on another thread, and scrolled down to see how many people were online.  It said three, so I looked to see who the other two were -- but it was actually the other three.  I was not listed!

Is there something going on around here that I haven't been told about?   :huh:

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Just noticed another "WTF" item -- right here on this page.  I came here immediately after posting on another thread, and scrolled down to see how many people were online.  It said three, so I looked to see who the other two were -- but it was actually the other three.  I was not listed!

Is there something going on around here that I haven't been told about?   :huh:

Yep! :D 

Srsly, I have no idea.........

• Tongue 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are you anonymous? Sometimes I see number in anonymous category.

Or, are you the figment of our imagination? But, in that case, you should be crazier, nutter, more festive and fun!

33 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Are you anonymous? Sometimes I see number in anonymous category.

I don't think so.  I know there's an option for logging in anonymously, but I've never done it, at least not on purpose.  Plus I don't believe there were any anonymous people logged in at that time.  I could be wrong about that last part, though, in which case yeah, maybe it briefly got confused and thought I was anonymous.  Whatever it was fixed itself fairly soon.

33 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Or, are you the figment of our imagination? But, in that case, you should be crazier, nutter, more festive and fun!

Hey, it's your imagination!  So if I'm not crazy, nutty, festive, and fun enough, it's all your fault!

I demand to be imagined better!!!   :soapbox:

• Haha 1