The WTF Thread

OMG, have we just discovered that Carol the Dabbler is really ... Jiminy Cricket?????

• Tongue 1

So if I have no conscience I have you to blame!

If someone said to me," why did you do that? How do you sleep at night??? Don't you have conscience at all????!"

"No. Carol ate that."

Anyway, on the topic, how do you guys feel about the possibility that teeth have genitals?

bad-advertising-05-60125a6bef3bd-700.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Anyway, on the topic, how do you guys feel about the possibility that teeth have genitals?

bad-advertising-05-60125a6bef3bd-700.jpg

8WxolfC.gif

The bunnies are back!

This sign is... sizeist? racist? someone bad in translation? or math??

1002288108-photo-u1.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why Americans are often associated with obesity. Have seen fair share of obesity equally across many nations. Fast food culture etc, but they are everywhere too!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why Americans are often associated with obesity.

Well, it's not like there are no fat Americans!  But we're also taller on average than, say, people from Japan, so we have to weigh more just to be the same shape.

27 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Have seen fair share of obesity equally across many nations. Fast food culture etc, but they are everywhere too!

Not sure whether I'm relieved to hear it's not just Americans -- or saddened.   :(

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Well, it's not like there are no fat Americans!  But we're also taller on average than, say, people from Japan, so we have to weigh more just to be the same shape.

Or is it because America have more 'above average' obesity? I've never been to America, in others I hardly or maybe never seen very large people, I mean those to the extent that they have visible moving difficulty, I only seen many case of those in American TV.

*glance at thread title*

Here:

71f7dd5fbd9f6142626e1f11eb.jpg

This product is useless and the ad is idiot.

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

This product is useless and the ad is idiot.

Looks like it might come in handy (so to speak) sometimes, like if I want to watch a long video on my tablet, without all the blood draining out of my arms.  Doubt that I'd buy it, though.  For one thing, doesn't look very comfortable.

10 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

is it because America have more 'above average' obesity?

We have people of all sizes and shapes, but yes, there are a lot more really fat people here than there used to be.  I blame fast food, junk food, and processed food in general.

One factor all those tend to have in common is "natural flavor," which is a (presumably intentionally) very misleading term.  For example, you'd think that if "natural vanilla flavor" is listed in the ingredients, that would mean an extract from actual vanilla beans, right?  Nope, that would be listed as "vanilla extract."  According to this article from Scientific American, "natural vanilla flavor" is probably derived from rice or cloves or wood (which may at least be a step above "artificial vanilla flavor," which is derived from petroleum).

"Natural flavors" may be a problem for several reasons.  First off, they are retraining people's taste buds.  A lot of folks now prefer "natural strawberry flavor" over the real thing because it "tastes more like strawberries."  So people aren't eating as much fruit and other real food.  Next, the synthesized flavors are tweaked to be as alluring as possible -- so that they don't just taste good, they taste incredibly good -- which induces people to have an extra helping.  Finally, there is suspicion (as yet unproven, as far as I'm aware) that certain "natural" flavors, as well as some artificial sweeteners, can act as appetite stimulants -- meaning that diet soda pop may actually make you fatter than sugar-sweetened types, because the artificial sweetener may induce you to eat more potato chips with it.

[/rant]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.P. said:

If the collar is anywhere near elastic and soft, it's useless - until you are not moving at all.

I would guess / hope that it's externally rigid and internally padded.

I mean, look at the image! She is not hand free, she is holding.... ANOTHER PHONE!

And even if the device actually works, how is it more effective that putting phone in phone holder that probable cost a dollar, and could you imagine multitasking, like baking for example and this thing would flatten the dough! Or petting the dog and give it concusion!

16 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

She is not hand free, she is holding.... ANOTHER PHONE!

It's hard to be sure how big the device in the holder is, but it could be a tablet.  So maybe she and a friend are watching the same movie on their respective tablets (or spare phones) and sharing their reactions -- the Covid-era version of going to the movies together.

16 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

how is it more effective that putting phone in phone holder that probable cost a dollar

Well, you could move around while wearing it.  I wouldn't advise going for an actual walk, but for example you could bring up an online recipe and be able to refer to it while moving around the kitchen getting your ingredients together.

Also, the holders I've seen need to sit on a flat, stable surface such as a table.  So let's say she wants to rest in her lounge chair while watching a video.  Even if she has one of those portable tables that roll around, a holder on it would put the screen down by her lap rather than at a comfortable viewing angle straight out from her face.

Not that I'm planning to buy one!   :P

But, but! It's supposed to be hands free! Don't advertise something that says hands free and show a picture of model using hand at something that looks very questionable as the gadget that this product should help at the first place, don't you think?

And oh, yes it would help on activities that you mentioned, but it would terribly block and hinder the view, especially, like you mentioned, is on the right eyesight.

The only plus thing, which you also mentioned, apparently tech neck is actually a thing when I google it, and this contraption, could actually help that, in very specific way.

In short, the picture shouldn't contradictive to product that is already questionable on the first place. 

Also, products should be useful, efficient, good for humanity, like, like.. this hamburger bed!

hamburger.jpg

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

But, but! It's supposed to be hands free! Don't advertise something that says hands free and show a picture of model using hand at something that looks very questionable as the gadget that this product should help at the first place, don't you think?

Well, I suppose that ad could confuse someone with a very literal mind!  :P  But there's very little point to having a hands-free gadget if you don't need your hands for something else, even if it is merely another of the same gadget.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:08 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

But there's very little point to having a hands-free gadget if you don't need your hands for something else, even if it is merely another of the same gadget.

I would say at least make it less contradictive or confusing than showing the person using similar gadget, they could show for example, person using their hands to fight off the swordsman in TBB for example, or to hold the infamous sheet before it fell down because brother dear is pissed and steps on it.

Hey, why we are on gadget..

137775-gadgets-news-feature-27-crazy-inv

4 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

:wtf:

Pretty much what I said. 

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Now, what the actual h*ll it is?

That's what I still want to know about the LAST picture you posted!

As for the pre-cracked eggs, that's apparently just a variation on the eggs-in-a-bottle that I've seen in grocery stores, which are simply the inside part of actual eggs.  Like if you want scrambled eggs, you just pour them out of the bottle into your frying pan.  I don't much see the point.

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

As for the pre-cracked eggs, that's apparently just a variation on the eggs-in-a-bottle that I've seen in grocery stores, which are simply the inside part of actual eggs.  Like if you want scrambled eggs, you just pour them out of the bottle into your frying pan.  I don't much see the point.

OMG, is it really that hard to crack eggs? :rofl: 

I wonder if that's a product that came about in an effort to make money off of eggs that were accidentally cracked in the factory. Otherwise I don't see the point............. and the packaging! Good grief!

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I wonder if that's a product that came about in an effort to make money off of eggs that were accidentally cracked in the factory.

I doubt there would be a sufficiently consistent supply of those to justify creation of such a complicated product.

My best guess is that it's simply the next step in pandering to people who never learned the basics of cooking.  Are you aware that dry pancake mix is not longer adequate, they now sell pre-made pancake batter?  (And of course they've been making pre-made pancakes for years -- just take 'em out of your freezer and pop 'em in your toaster.)

• Sad 1

It's a joke, a photoshopped one. Jeff Wysaski is the guy behind "obvious plant".

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

OK.  It's really not much of a stretch, though.  I've seen similar products in the store -- bottles or cartons of egg innards or just the yolks or just the whites.  Also pre-peeled hard-boiled eggs.

• Sad 1

On 4/24/2021 at 4:45 AM, Caya said:

It's a joke, a photoshopped one. Jeff Wysaski is the guy behind "obvious plant".

I see this surfaced again and again in various source, so his experiment must be too successful.

And like Carol said, there are a lot more ridiculous products out there that make me, (especially mostly, most of the products advertised in internet are not something I could get without effort anyway, geography an all) believe that it's real.

Having said that, I think liquid egg (in cartoons mostly) has existed since forever. I never used it, not intended to, I like my egg to look like egg. Speaking about eggs, you guys are aware about fake eggs, right?? Mostly found in China and India, it never cease to amaze me, not in a good way. 

• Sad 1