Sign in to follow this  
Carol the Dabbler

The WTF Thread

7 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I myself tried to scoop up water from sinking boat that had merge into the sea. To my defense, if you do it fast enough, there is still hope.

I'm not much of a boat person myself (more of a hobbit), but even I have heard of bailing, so it seems to be a perfectly respectable thing to do.

• Haha 1

Have you guys ever, been soooo annoyed with other's stupidity and feel the helplessness to reason with them and just let them take your money as the result?

In my area, it is cheaper to put your clothes in the laundry than do it yourself. We don't have DIY public laundry. To look for good one though, it's always a struggle. Sometimes they mess up your cloth, sometime they lost it, sometimes they didn't do a good job. I have been going to the same one as long as I am here, but because I moved away, it's quite a distance so I want to look for nearer one. I decided to give this one (tried before but they lost my shirt so I dropped them) another try. First couple of wash, it was good, they are quick (ready the day after), and then they started to mess up.

The minimum load you can put is 2 kg, which is fine. That is around the amount I bring anyway. They gave me wrong information initially (that there is no minimum) but revised it later when I didn't bring enough, (so they charged me 2kg price even when I bring less) which is fine, I get that. Then there was one time when I noticed that I only bring 1.5kg, but when I left (they sent the receipt to the phone, which I normally left in the car so I didn't check on the spot) but they noted it down as 2.5kg. I asked them if they got it right, because I remembered seeing 1.5 when they weighted it. They insisted it was correct. So nevermind, I even said sorry I must have seen it wrongly then. I have no idea how many time it actually happened, but I remember this one well.

And it happened again, this time I was pretty sure it was 1,7 kg, so when I saw they put 2.7kg in the receipt, I went back (I barely left the area yet anyway) and asked them. And they told me, yes, because the minimum weight is 2 kg. I said fine, then put it as 2 kg since I have 1.7kg right.

They said yes, but since 2kg is minimum, they have to add it up. I was trying to hold back my disbelief, I said, sure, I understand. But why do you put it as 2.7 kg instead of 2? They looked at me blankly then repeated the same thing. I repeated too, getting really irritated, especially now I know they did the same thing back then and made me feel I was the one making a mistake. So apparently their brilliant solution is just to add another kg if you don't meet minimum account.

The thing is, they have multiple staffs and these two I encountered are not the one in charge (the one in charge was very clear about everything including how the minimum is counted, and she also assured me that they always finish their order in a day although the other staff likes to give wrong information to the customers (maybe so that they can stretch the work)). 

Anyway, it's obvious that I was irritated that they can't give me logical explanation but still insisted on their reason. So they said they can't change the receipt because it had been sent to the 'boss' but would give me a 'discount' when it's collection time. I believed none of that but I had no energy left, obviously they looked at me as 'difficult' customer as well. The day after, my family happened to go that area and helped me collected it,  my instruction was clear: I am 100% sure they wouldn't hold on to their word and would still overcharge me, if you don't feel that you have energy to question them then leave them be. I don't want this stupidity to ruin their day. Sure enough, they didn't bother with overcharging, but when my family bothered enough to ask, they said, oh, this is express service, it is more expensive so it cost twice. (It's SO does not add up, brilliant mathematician liar &^!&$@!$^).

The thing that trigger my anger the most is, when people try to cover their mistake by adding a lie or ridiculous reasons. I have met too many of this breed. So yah, of course I am not coming back and no, I wouldn't bother to report or complain, it's not worth the time. I'm not that bothered about the money they 'cheated' either, I'm just.. arghhhh,, if you get what I mean. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

The comments: :D "The photo of this dog was taken in 2007. The life expectancy of a British Bulldog is 8-10 years, so the dog in the picture is almost certainly dead. Perfect."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Have you guys ever, been soooo annoyed with other's stupidity and feel the helplessness to reason with them and just let them take your money as the result?

For a moment there I thought this was going to be about the current American "leadership."

And yes, I do know what you mean. Some wrongs aren't worth the effort it takes to right them. 😞 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 1:41 PM, Arcadia said:

For a moment there I thought this was going to be about the current American "leadership."

Oh that one belongs in Political Thread or ducky would scol...whac.. no, she would let you know nicely, which I agree, since this thread is dedicated more to things we can't really explain, such as:

15200277-inside8-1579013997-728-73125f16

I always thought the hair style's name is inspired from horse's tail, it seems like I got it in reverse all this time.

• Confused 2

Er…. eww?

2 hours ago, Sheerluck said:

Brexit Day. :nope_sad:

:patpatpat:   My sympathies. The world's getting scarier every day...…….

Wow. I don't think they'd ever get away with that on American TV.

In the store the other day, I could have sworn that one item was labeled "cell phone sanitizer."  That made no sense (unless people are in the habit of loaning out their phones to all and sundry), so after doing a double take, I went back and looked again.  It did indeed say "cell phone sanitizer," and what is does is expose the phone to UV light.

There are apparently a bunch of brands and models on the market, judging by what came up on Amazon.  The blurbs seem to focus on two things:  1) There are germs on your phone!  (Yes, but they're your germs.  If they were gonna make you sick, they'd have done so already.)  2) There's crud on your phone!  (Yeah, no argument there.  But UV light doesn't remove crud.)

Am I missing something?  :huh:

I'm neither a doctor nor a sanitation engineer, but I could imagine a scenario like, you grab the door handle on your way out of a public bathroom, therefore getting all kind of interesting germs (left there by previous users who didn't wash their hands on the way out) on your fingers, then on your way back check your emails on your phone, therefore transferring some of those germs to said phone, then put it back in your pocket where they have it nice and warm and breed for an hour or two, till you get a phone call and then press the phone against your face, thus transferring them to your mouth, where they promptly take up residence. *shrug* No idea really. I occasionally clean my phone with the same wipes we have for our monitors, but admittedly not nearly as often as would probably be wise.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Caya said:

I could imagine a scenario like, you grab the door handle on your way out of a public bathroom, therefore getting all kind of interesting germs (left there by previous users who didn't wash their hands on the way out) on your fingers....

Yet one more reason to take hold of that handle with the paper towel you just dried your hands on (or with your jacket sleeve, or with your shirt tail if all else fails).  I try to stop my paranoia at the source!  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've never been paranoid about such things (having had the good fortune to be as healthy as the proverbial horse all my life) … but I'm starting to think a little paranoia might be a good idea......

11 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Am I missing something?

Not that I am an expert, but yes.

Our phone is exposed on all sort of things and like Caya said, we touch everything and transfer it to the phone. It is actually much dirtier than toilet, same thing with keyboard. They are really really nasty.

As for cell phone sanitizer, I actually have one, and I got it a year ago as a gift. So not only I do that, someone thinks it's a right gift for me and he is right, I love it.

It's been more than fifteen years or maybe forever in smaller scale since I get more...eh..cautious. I would never ever sit on my bed with my outside cloth, or wear outside shoes inside, it's nasty. I make my family suffer when I force them to do the same when they enter my house, but they don't always listen. I mop the path I walk in even if I wear socks if the socks had touched somewhere else (in workplace I liked to take my shoes off when I sit).  I have strong urge to wash my hand otherwise I can't really function after I exchange a handshake with strangers. It's difficult when I attend meeting with new people. I wash hand way way too often especially when I bake, I'd have multiple and different hand towels. I wipe my phone everyday with alcohol swab (not that often with laptop because it's inconvenient as I remember it when I already turn it on) and yes, I have taken my desktop keyboard letter off in attempt to wash it (don't do that it always spoils them). Bottom line, I could be that weirdo. 

But I am functional (I think), overall I'm okay, I roll in dirt in nature, I sit on the beach and step on dog's poo without getting too icky, I hug smelly stray dogs and I have picked up food from floor (my floor!) my home is not sparkling, there are a lot of unkept areas mainly because I can't keep up with it, that's why I desire robot cleaner that can do that (not only roomba) nevermind they are going to kill us. Oh to bring us back, my handphone sanitizer look like a box, size that can fit most handphone, with cable so you can actually charge it while it's there. It takes 8 minutes to sterilize the phone and additional 2 minutes if I add some fragrance oil. I have no idea if it works well, but it does make me feel better although normally I'd still wipe it since they don't get rid of fingerprint etc. I don't use it as often as I want though, as I need my phone almost all the time.

9 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yet one more reason to take hold of that handle with the paper towel you just dried your hands on (or with your jacket sleeve, or with your shirt tail if all else fails).  I try to stop my paranoia at the source!

To help with paranoia, everytime you flush the toilet the particle actually goes everywhere in the bathroom. Make sure you get your toothbrush covered. Mine is.

So the thing that irritates me although it probably shouldn't, this corona actually kind of change my routine. Everytime I do my grocery shopping, I always take time to look at cleaning products, and I have a lot of them, more than normal people, anything that says disinfectant, kill germs etc etc I have some kind of variant of them. But now, I am competing with everyone and we have sanitizer shortage since quite sometime ago, can't find them anymore. But I actually have enough to get by because of my habit, travel sized sanitizer, swabs, wipes all bought regularly before virus time, although I don't like thinking that I can't replenish it soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I have strong urge to wash my hand otherwise I can't really function after I exchange a handshake with strangers. It's difficult when I attend meeting with new people.

Egad, your real-life name is Adrian Monk!  (Sorry to blow your cover, sir.)

Admittedly, being retired, I don't go out nearly as much as you apparently do.  I guess I'm glad.  If I'm exposed to any germs at home, they're my germs anyhow, so no problem.  When I go out, I'm careful (and have been for years) not to touch anything that I don't really need to touch.  So I still don't see the need to sanitize my own phone -- but of course your mileage may vary.

I agree with you regarding dogs.  If they have a naturally high body temperature (like cats), then hardly any of their germs could live in a human body anyhow (and vice-versa).

Egad. Now I feeling a bit, er ... sloppy? I don't do any of those things. Did I mention I don't get sick often? Connection?

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2020 at 1:45 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Egad, your real-life name is Adrian Monk!  (Sorry to blow your cover, sir.)

If only I have his ability.

I still not sure if I'm considered a germaphobe, I don't think I am. Maybe I'm inspired to, but definitely too lazy to do so. I can't even maintain my room to be the way I want it.

I was accused of always cleaning up when my friends were visiting my room, uni time. But I was simply bored just sitting there, my hands need to be at something, but I have to admit there was no dust even on top of my cabinet as the small room was very manageable. Now there are too many things to do, my hands are barely free, I need to visit forum.

On 3/15/2020 at 8:53 AM, Arcadia said:

Egad. Now I feeling a bit, er ... sloppy? I don't do any of those things. Did I mention I don't get sick often? Connection?

Nope. I don't get sick often as well, and that goes way beyond I can afford to be me. We are just stubborn, that's all, and I hope we remain that way.

• Like 2

Hey remember when we had nightmares about toilet?

How have you been sleeping lately?  :)

21148060-77ad0e008762e4b4aac843aadb5bd9a

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

How have you been sleeping lately? 

Terrible!  I'm stressed about not working, so I've been tossing and turning, having bad dreams, and waking up a lot.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I was sleeping fine until you posted that picture. Pretty sure I'll have nightmares now.

• Tongue 1

20 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

20 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I was sleeping fine until you posted that picture. Pretty sure I'll have nightmares now.

Good heavens, what sort of wimps are you folks?  A modesty panel isn't good enough for you???

What modesty panel!??!!!!?

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

What modesty panel!??!!!!?

Over at the far right.  (Once again, you see but you do not observe!)