Sign in to follow this  
lauraB

Sherlock Holmes Chess Pieces

I apologise if this is not allowed. My mother recently passed away and when going through her house we came across some Sherlock Holmes chess pieces. They have never been used and we would like to sell these on and thought they would be ideal for a Sherlock Holmes enthusiast.  Please contact me at laurabutler84 (at) gmail-dot-com if you are interested in seeing photos.  The set still sells for £345, (https://www.studioannecarltongames.com/product/sherlock-holmes/). In this link it is the burgendy and ivory painted set. We would sell for £250.  I live in Kent, England, postage/collection would need to be discussed. Thank you.

If I had any money I would be all over that.  It sounds awesome.

Hello, lauraB, and welcome to Sherlock Forum!  We do have certain restrictions on sales, but your offer doesn't fall into the "commercial" category.  And we're all in favor of seeing that your mother's chess set gets a new home where it can be admired and perhaps even used.  You mention that identical new sets are still being sold -- if they are available online, could you post a link?

The forum does not advise posting email addresses (due to the likelihood of spam as a result), so I have taken the liberty of hiding your email address.  However, anyone who is interested in your offer can either post a message in this thread or send me a personal message, and I will be more than happy to forward their message and their email address to you via email.  (As a staff member, I can see everyone's email address.)

Alternatively, if you so choose, I can un-hide your email address, so that people can contact you directly.  My apologies if you'd rather I hadn't hidden it in the first place!

Hi Laura, I edited your email address in again, but as you can see I modified it a bit so you don't get spammed to high heaven. There are spiders crawling the web looking for the @ to harvest addresses, so you generally shouldn't post your email on openly accessible pages. Best of luck with your sale, the set looks gorgeous! :smile:

• Thanks 1

Hope you find a home for them, they look awesome. My brother's a chess player, I'll tell him to take a look.

If you want a chess set you could try one of these👍

https://moneyinc.com/most-expensive-chess-sets/

• Confused 2

My favorite of those is the one in the very first picture.  It looks substantial and attractive, and assuming it's made of real stuff rather than plastic, those smooth, solid pieces should feel quite luxurious in the hand.  Wonder what it goes for?

As for the others, I suspect the prices reflect mostly bragging rights.

• Like 1

#4 looks like a bunch of characters from the Terminator movies. :blink: 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

My favorite of those is the one in the very first picture.  It looks substantial and attractive, and assuming it's made of real stuff rather than plastic, those smooth, solid pieces should feel quite luxurious in the hand.  Wonder what it goes for?

As for the others, I suspect the prices reflect mostly bragging rights.

I agree Carol. At least the first set resemble chess pieces which is an advantage. I’ve seen some amazing chess sets but you’d spend most of the game saying “now just remind me again, this one is a Bishop right?” Chess sets aren’t just decorative. How would you feel if you discovered that one of your taken pieces had fallen to the floor to be chewed up by your dog!😢

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

#4 looks like a bunch of characters from the Terminator movies. :blink: 

True. I do like the most expensive set too but the pieces look rather fragile to me. I just know that I’d find some way of breaking one of the pieces.

• Haha 1

... and you couldn't very well just mend it with duct tape.  :D

• Haha 1