Jump to content
Carol the Dabbler

The great toilet-paper debate!

Do you prefer your toilet paper to unroll over the top or down behind?  

8 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you prefer that toilet paper unroll over the top or down behind?

    • Over the top
      6
    • Down behind
      2
    • It doesn't matter to me
      0
    • I've never really thought about it
      0


Recommended Posts

Oh, Artie, I'm so touched! (in the head)

That "under" diagram describes me perfectly, so I'm sticking with it. Even though Caya's science is horrifying.... but eh, who believes in science these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Do you agree with yours?

Neither one fits me all that well.  I stay organized and I’m generally dependable, but the other four things aren’t traits I would normally use to describe myself.  (Maybe laid-back, but it depends.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why this is my thread? I don't even hang my toilet paper on the wall, it stands on a shelf! huh.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.P. said:

Why this is my thread? I don't even hang my toilet paper on the wall, it stands on a shelf! huh.gif

In a typical thread, the first post is written by the person who came up with the idea -- so the forum software automatically attributes each thread to whoever wrote the first post.

When a thread is formed by splitting off some posts from an existing thread, however, the first post is kind of arbitrarily chosen by the staff member who does the splitting (which in this case would be me), and the person who happened to write that post (which would be you) generally had no intention whatsoever of starting anything.  Sorry, but that's simply how the software works.  We have no control over it, and I know of no way to "fix" it -- though if you like, you could edit your initial post to state that you had no intention of starting any such thing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a bit of mod trickery and now the thread is Carol's (also quite old, but that was the best I could do, sorry). Just please edit something into your opening post, @Carol the Dabbler. :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

In a typical thread, the first post is written by the person who came up with the idea -- so the forum software automatically attributes each thread to whoever wrote the first post.

 

No worries - I wasn't entirely serious, just a bit curious. Actually, I found it quite funny. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.P. said:

No worries - I wasn't entirely serious, just a bit curious. Actually, I found it quite funny. :P

Yeah, I kinda figured.  But you asked a question -- which is like tapping me on the knee with a little rubber hammer.

And now I want to know -- Martina, how did you do that?  Did I just happen to have an extraneous post back a ways?  Or two posts close enough together that you could move the contents of both into just one of them?  And in either case, you then moved the essentially empty post into this thread -- and since it was older than J.P.'s post, it became the new first post?

Or are you even sneakier than that?  :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, I kinda figured.  But you asked a question -- which is like tapping me on the knee with a little rubber hammer. 

:rofl:

As for how I did it, wouldn't you like to know? :P Seriously, I went into the "hidden posts" area of the mod section, found one of yours that wouldn't be missed (it was simply stating you don't use Tapatalk, and hidden because the discussion became redundant since the initial problem was solved by Tim), deleted its contents then moved it in here. And yes, since it was older than anything toilet-paper-related, the thread then took it as the first post.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, sneaky Martina!  Gonna have to keep an eye on you!  :D

 

  • Tongue 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See what poor Toby and I have to deal with? :P 

  • Haha 1
  • Tongue 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/9/2019 at 7:30 PM, Arcadia said:

See what poor Toby and I have to deal with? :P 

Geez, I realize that only four of you are active moderators. How did you guys cope when we had fresh season? Not to mention different time zones. Is the stress make you the way you are? :P But thank you!

On 6/7/2019 at 1:51 PM, Caya said:

As for how I did it, wouldn't you like to know? :P Seriously, I went into the "hidden posts" area of the mod section, found one of yours that wouldn't be missed (it was simply stating you don't use Tapatalk, and hidden because the discussion became redundant since the initial problem was solved by Tim), deleted its contents then moved it in here. And yes, since it was older than anything toilet-paper-related, the thread then took it as the first post.

So does it mean that you can actually create a thread with every random comments from other threads?

For example, each of us choose five random posts that are mostly nonsense, and you mixed it in your magic cup together and voila, the posts would be shown in order of the dates, making it as if we were talking about something that makes no sense at all. That would be fun and deter most newbies from coming thinking we are crazy, well as if we are not now  whoaaa who should I bribe to make this happens? XD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

So does it mean that you can actually create a thread with every random comments from other threads?

For example, each of us choose five random posts that are mostly nonsense, and you mixed it in your magic cup together and voila, the posts would be shown in order of the dates, making it as if we were talking about something that makes no sense at all. That would be fun and deter most newbies from coming thinking we are crazy, well as if we are not now  whoaaa who should I bribe to make this happens? XD

Yup, it sure does, as long as you don't mind those posts being removed from their original threads.  But I'm puzzled -- how would this new thread differ from a good many of the ones we already have?  :huh:

22 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I realize that only four of you are active moderators. How did you guys cope when we had fresh season? Not to mention different time zones. Is the stress make you the way you are? :P

Whaddaya mean, the way we are?  :blink:  Huh?

As for new seasons, #3 was the worst, following after Reichenbach as it did, but we managed somehow.  We didn't get the new episodes over here till a while after they were aired in the UK, so we American mods had to either brave the spoilers or avoid certain threads.  Coward that I am, I chose the latter, because I knew that some of the other mods had already seen the new season, but that meant that I later had to play catch-up in a major sort of way (just look at the post count for the Empty Hearse thread!).

Different time zones are actually helpful, because it means different mods tend to be online at different times, so if something requires immediate attention, it may even get it!  And if we need to confer, we just PM each other.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2019 at 1:14 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yup, it sure does, as long as you don't mind those posts being removed from their original threads.  But I'm puzzled -- how would this new thread differ from a good many of the ones we already have? 

:lol5: geez you are right!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Caya said:

So, at no small risk to myself and others, I've done an exhaustive study of my own (also known as visiting the public restroom where I work) to ascertain whether or not Mr. James's assertions do, in fact, hold water. (So to speak. ;) )

First of all, the toilet paper dispenser was installed sideways, meaning you were just as likely (or unlikely) to brush your fingers against the wall when reaching for it, no matter which way the toilet paper was draped. And second of all, maybe it's different for guys, but at no time did my hands stray near anything, BEFORE I touched the toilet paper, which might be considered bacteria laden. Nor did they stray again to the toilet paper roll AFTER venturing into regions that might be considered bacteria laden. Hence, no bacterial transfer could have taken place.

Ergo, I must conclude that Geoffrey James is full of hooey, and his "scientific theory" is hereby debunked. QED. You're welcome.

:D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James is the guy who claims restroom walls are coated with excrement?  Yeah, I thought he was being a bit overly cautious.  He may be right in a very technical sense, but if you worry about stuff like that, you'll never actually get anything done, because you'll be too busy scrubbing everything with Lysol.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

James is the guy who claims restroom walls are coated with excrement?  Yeah, I thought he was being a bit overly cautious.  He may be right in a very technical sense, but if you worry about stuff like that, you'll never actually get anything done, because you'll be too busy scrubbing everything with Lysol.

 

Yah, I learn not to worry too much otherwise it would drive me insane, but I wouldn't go to public toilet unless I absolutely have to. And I actually know which public toilets are 'acceptable' when I visited a place. There is a place where I bought most of my groceries and I had never visited their toilet once in 6.5 years I'm here. No way. And my prediction is correct, because I asked those who tried (my family). 

Back then, I shared story before about my experience with cleaning company where I actually re-cleaned after they left, and found my mom is doing the same thing.That's why, even with danger of A.I taking over us, I do want cleaner robot, who could fulfil my self-proclaim ocd to finally have a literally spotless house all the time, because it's impossible. I'd even risk robot uprising!

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my friends bought one of those things. After watching if for a few minutes, I have to admit … I'm tempted. Can it get up and down stairs by itself, though? I mean, why should I have to do ANY work, it should be smart enough to leave me completely alone....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.