Dreams

Artemis

5 hours ago, Arcadia said:

it's like rapidly flickering images of anything and everything,

I have them from the antidepressants. As if they stirred the vision center in my brain in many funny ways. I remember once, after a medication change it was so damn intensive that I've thought "how the heck am I going to sleep in this disco?!"

19 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

day-of-school-and-I-haven't-been-to-class-all-term-and-don't-know-where-the-final-exam-is

This is one of the "alternative reality" dreams. As if the not-being-prepared state aggravated from one dream to another. Last one I remember was "only" about my parents waking me up too late on the day of exams.

Another common theme is trying to achieve something and being confronted with one obstacle after another. There is one I remember quite well:

I was driving to my parents in another city and stopped on my way (don't remember why). Then I could not find my car. I was running around the building I knew I let my car at, but couldn't find the side street. Again and again. Then for a second I finally saw my car, but someone distracted me and when I looked again, it was gone. Because I really needed to visit my parents ASAP, I made myself a makeshift skateboard and hit the road, quite in a hurry. The skateboard broke. So I ran to the place with a train station to take a train to my parents. I know the city well but could not find the station. When I found it, there were construction works going on around it, so I could not find the way to the entrance. Then I could not find the counter… Then I woke up feeling like after a night of hard work… Those dreams are exhausting. 

PS, I had a fake lucid dream again last night. :D

• Confused 1

On 6/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, J.P. said:

Another common theme is trying to achieve something and being confronted with one obstacle after another.

Yeah I have a lot of those too. 

I don't think I've had an exam dream specifically, but I have had a lot of "missed my bus" or "can't find the right classroom" dreams.  (Especially the former.)  Just the other night I had a "can't remember my locker combination" dream.

16 hours ago, Arcadia said:

What I do remember, however, is the psychedelic light show behind my eyelids when I woke up. I've had this happen a few times before; it's like rapidly flickering images of anything and everything, including a lot of geometric patterns … when I open my eyes, everything's normal, but when I close them again, there's the light show. Eventually, this time, it evolved into a whirling spiral that made me feel dizzy, so I got up. If I remember correctly, I'm barely awake when this stuff happens, so I wonder if it's related to some sort of REM thing. It's weird, and a bit annoying, but infrequent.

Do you ever get migraines?  That sounds kinda like the sort of "aura" that some people see before the actual headache starts.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, J.P. said:
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, Arcadia said:

it's like rapidly flickering images of anything and everything,

I have them from the antidepressants. As if they stirred the vision center in my brain in many funny ways. I remember once, after a medication change it was so damn intensive that I've thought "how the heck am I going to sleep in this disco?!"

Hmmm, interesting. I take those too. But I think mine happen very rarely, are yours more frequent?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:05 PM, J.P. said:

Another common theme is trying to achieve something and being confronted with one obstacle after another.

Oh lord yes, I remember those quite well. Infuriating! But again … not in a long time. Possibly because of the anti-depressants? :smile: (Sometimes I think it might be time to try going without those things … thing something traumatic comes up and I think, eh, maybe another time.... :D )

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:24 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Do you ever get migraines?  That sounds kinda like the sort of "aura" that some people see before the actual headache starts.

Hmm, it does, doesn't it? I used to get a lot of migraines, but again … antidepressants. Haven't had but one or two migraines since I started taking them. But you're right, the sensation is similar, only without the subsequent pain. When I got up I was fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Hmmm, interesting. I take those too. But I think mine happen very rarely, are yours more frequent?

No. This happened mostly after changing the medication. What I still experience very often though, is a kind of translucent geometric patterns that seem to crossfade the whole field of view, directly after I woke up and opened my eyes. But it disappears after the first blink.

I also have white points flying through my sight, like little meteors from time to time.

• Sad 1

Nope, don't have either of those. Luckily!

• 3 weeks later...

According to a (forgotten from where) source, five common nightmares are: falling, being chased, feeling trapped, being late, and suffering the death of close family member. I want to add the need for toilet but clean ones are exposed/doorless and the one with privacy are dirty.

Geez, I don't mind if one day we find a way to eliminate the need of sleep all together, and the need to eat. I find those two as incredible waste of time. But then I start to think about alternate world where we don't need to sleep and eat, and come to conclusion that we may not need to work as well since the need for housing and food are the main things we try to fulfil. And because of that, people would have too much free time to do other things; crime, making babies, over population taking over nature, socializing.... GAH! Bring back eating and sleeping!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

According to a (forgotten from where) source, five common nightmares are: falling, being chased, feeling trapped, being late, and suffering the death of close family member. I want to add the need for toilet but clean ones are exposed/doorless and the one with privacy are dirty.

Oh good heavens, yes!  Though I don't recall ever having the option of a private dirty toilet, just fully exposed ones in the middle of a hotel lobby or someplace like that.

Out of that other list, the only ones I can recall having are the being late ones.  I may have had some really nasty examples of the others, though, and simply don't remember them because when I wake up in a panic, about all I tend to remember is the fear.

What about fully exposed dirty toilets? Or no toilets at all?

Today I was running around a new school looking for my class. The stupid thing was that I forgot the faces of my teacher and the pupils, so I couldn't recognize them.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

According to a (forgotten from where) source, five common nightmares are: falling, being chased, feeling trapped, being late, and suffering the death of close family member.

I think some version of "feeling trapped" is the most common one I've had; when I was a 'teen, I remember having a whole series of dreams about being in a building and not being able to find the exit. I called them "frustration dreams," because that's how they left me feeling. Another version was trying to accomplish something, but not being able to because other things kept getting in the way. Those were especially annoying.

A couple of times I remember waking up laughing at a dream, but I can't remember anymore what I found so funny. Rats. :smile: 

43 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I called them "frustration dreams," because that's how they left me feeling. Another version was trying to accomplish something, but not being able to because other things kept getting in the way.

Just sounds like life to me.  :P

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2019 at 5:06 AM, J.P. said:

What about fully exposed dirty toilets? Or no toilets at all?

In mine, there are always toilets, but always communal or big room full of toilets but lack of cubicle and walls. Fully exposed dirty toilet is definitely around too.

However, it seems like I haven't been experiencing it for quite sometimes, while it used to be a recurring dreams. If I remember correctly, the last one with toilet, I actually dared to do that in a clean but exposed toilet. And no, I didn't wet my bed in real life. Maybe the interpretation is, I had had it, all the insecurities and decide to F it? Not sure. Next time I have toilet dream, I would let you guys know, with or without your consent of wanting to read about it or not. :P

18 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

In mine, there are always toilets, but always communal or big room full of toilets but lack of cubicle and walls. Fully exposed dirty toilet is definitely around too.

However, it seems like I haven't been experiencing it for quite sometimes, while it used to be a recurring dreams.

Me neither, come to think of it, though I used to have that sort of dream every now and then.  Either I don't remember my dreams as well as I used to or else I haven't had any of those frustration-type dreams lately.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:46 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Of those, the most common ones for me are being chased and being late.  I almost never have dreams of falling, and sometimes but rarely have dreams of feeling trapped or death of family.  When I had the death dreams, it was mostly as a child, and usually involved losing my family to a tornado, or my dog drowning.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:11 AM, Van Buren Supernova said:

^ Same here.

I just came across the "Pittsburgh potty" ("an ordinary flush toilet installed in the basement, with no surrounding walls"). Could it be that our toilet dreams represent an actual racial memory?  :P  Here's a picture from this article, which gives a couple of possible explanations for the existence of such fixures:

pittsburgh-potty-today-001-171024_b47c66

My mom had a basement toilet out in the open like that when she was living in Iowa.  She started building a bathroom around it, but only ever got a few beams put up.  Many years ago she asked me to pet-sit for her while she was on vacation for a couple weeks, and at the time most of the house was being remodeled, so I could only use that toilet.  There were construction workers around the house all day, so I had to try to use the toilet quickly in case one of them turned the corner unexpectedly.  It was a lot like the 'exposed toilet' dreams, in terms of how nerve-wracking it felt, lol.

• Sad 1

In my dream last night, I was Daenerys Targaryen ('Game of Thrones'), and I was preparing to marry Jon Snow (also 'Game of Thrones').  But hours before the wedding, Mycroft kidnapped me, and I was trying to figure out why, lol.  There was also a toilet dream mixed in there.  After much searching, I finally found a semi-private cubicle in a public bathroom (there was a large crack in the door where people could see in); but I was interrupted when Mycroft burst into the stall to kidnap me, lol.  Rude, Mycroft.  Sad days are these when a Dragon Queen can't even get a private restroom.  :P

• Haha 1

I've had another "new home" dream. It was so dirty inside, the vacuum cleaner's hose got completely clogged with the dust… monsters. Outside it had a makeshift thatch roof covered with plastic foil and I was wondering how it will survive the first blow of wind. But it had a big park-like garden and I thought in the fall I don't have to clean all the leaves because it's a private property. And yes, there were aliens trying to make contact with me from below the floor. But no toilet in sight. :)

PS: no racial memory of open potties in my part of the world. But a friend had a sewage backup once, that came from above (clogged pipe below their flat) and it went all over their place as they were on vacation. panic.gif They wished it was a dream.

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I just came across the "Pittsburgh potty" ("an ordinary flush toilet installed in the basement, with no surrounding walls"). Could it be that our toilet dreams represent an actual racial memory?  :P  Here's a picture from this article, which gives a couple of possible explanations for the existence of such fixures:

pittsburgh-potty-today-001-171024_b47c66

I have, as far as I know, never had nightmares about toilets. But I may now.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Tongue 1

The house I grew up in (built in 1945) has a rudimentary shower in the basement, just a shower head with hot and cold water pipes, handles to turn them on/off, and a drain in the concrete floor -- no stall or provisions for a curtain.  It's located directly beneath the bathtub plumbing, which fortuitously puts it virtually under the stairs -- so anyone using the shower would know a visitor was coming (and be able to grab a towel or robe) well before said visitor could see them.

It's the only shower in the house, but we never used it, we just took baths upstairs.  I queried the eldest son of the family that had the house built (he lived there as a little kid), but he didn't even know the shower was there.  I'm guessing that his father may have used it, possibly while the house was still under construction (I believe he did some of the work) and/or after caring for their livestock (a pig and a few hens) or working in the orchard or garden.  The basement steps are right inside the back door, so the shower is conveniently located for that sort of use.

There's no toilet down there, but I have a vague feeling that I've come across one of those "Pittsburgh potties" somewhere, sometime.  Not in any house where I ever lived, though.

• Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...