*sigh* I kinda envy you, though I know it's probably a double-edged sword. I have a handful of places that I keep seeing in my dreams every now and then, though I've never been there ... but the point is, I *know* these dreams are not prophetic because the locations simply don't exist and never will. Like, one of them is an altered version of Disneyworld, and it's so different in some ways (and, frankly, inferior to the real deal) that know it can't be any of the other parks either (besides, my parents have been at every single one, and I've seen the pics, so nope on that front as well) and it's none they're ever going to open (see, inferior, above). Yet, I keep revisiting that place in my dreams instead of the real one (which I actually would prefer), and I have zero idea why my stupid brain is so fixated on it. :huh:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Tongue 1

38 minutes ago, Caya said:

I *know* these dreams are not prophetic because the locations simply don't exist and never will. Like, one of them is an altered version of Disneyworld, and it's so different in some ways (and, frankly, inferior to the real deal) that know it can't be any of the other parks either

Interesting!  Could you post a few of the differences?

• Like 1

Well, it's surrounded by a low white brick wall, which you're walking along from bus stop to entrance, and that level of security or lack thereof would never fly with Disney, for starters. :lol: Also, there's what looks like a natural copse in the northwest, but if you know where to walk, you come to a secret testing area where new rides are being tried, and if you find them, you can do so as well. Can you imagine how trampled down that poor forest floor would be in real life? :D  To say nothing of the liability nightmare of letting the general public get to and mess around on your untested attractions. There are lots of little differences as well, like the cheap pathways, but they're not nearly as striking.

• Thanks 1

That is indeed odd!

I was thinking maybe you'd tapped into the original Disneyland, because I know it's changed a lot.  And I can't actually say it wasn't like that when it first opened in 1955 -- but if so it had sure changed by 1970, the first time I was there.

• Like 1

First (and so far only) time I was in Disneyland was in 1989, so yeah I didn't experience the original (for starters, I wouldn't even be born until sixteen years after it opened). But as it happens I saw that The Imagineering Story series on Disney+ recently and the first episode had extensive footage of both the construction and opening of Disneyland, so, even if "my" Disney weren't so un-Disneylike I can now state that nope, it's not much like the original Disneyland either.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Caya said:

I saw that The Imagineering Story series on Disney+ recently and the first episode had extensive footage of both the construction and opening of Disneyland

Sounds worth watching!  I'm pretty sure I saw some of that on the original Disneyland television program, but that's been a few years!

As I mentioned, my first visit to the Disneyland theme park was in 1970, at which time my favorite area was the Indian Village, where all the "residents" (park employees) really were members of various Native American tribes.  When I knew I'd be going again in 1979, I was really looking forward to seeing that again -- but alas it had been replaced by something called "Bear Country" (which has itself been largely replaced now).  So there have definitely been major changes over the years.

When I was looking online for the park's opening year, I came across this article, which says that thousands of people have already protested the July reopening of Disneyland, which was announced only a couple of days ago.  The park's plans include all the currently-required safeguards, including required reservations, limited numbers allowed at any one time, everyone's temperature being taken at the entrance, face masks required, social distancing, etc., and that article mentioned that some other similar parks (Universal Orlando and SeaWorld) have already reopened with no public fuss.  So my only explanation for the fuss over Disneyland is that somebody started it -- and then it snowballed, as online phenomena are likely to do.

Regarding the required face masks, they're really missing a bet if they don't sell Mickey and Minnie nose-and-mouth masks, to go along with the mouse-ear hats!

• Like 1

It wouldn't be Disney if they didn't, and you couldn't preorder them from their site as well, naturally: https://www.shopdisney.com/small-mickey-and-minnie-mouse-cloth-face-masks-4-pack-set-pre-order-420221227190.html . Large and small, Mickey or Marvel, they got 'em all. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are cute, but I must admit to being disappointed!  I'd been envisioning a face mask with a three-dimensional "mouse nose" attached in the appropriate spot, plus a mouth drawn on (with or without lipstick), to make the wearer look like Minnie or Mickey.  Those would look so cute with the traditional mouse-ear hats!  (Not to be confused with Sherlock's ear hat.)  They'd cost a lot more to make, though, and considering the limited time that they'll (hopefully) be relevant, I can understand why they went with the mouse-print cloth instead.

• Haha 1

I'm afraid I found nothing like you described (you should hire yourself out as an Imagineer :smile: ) - closest are those: https://www.shopdisney.com/medium-disney-cloth-face-masks-4-pack-set-pre-order-420221235355.html .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Caya said:

Those are actually very close to what I had in mind.  OK, so the nose looks to be just painted on, but that's no big deal.  Main question is, do any of those lower faces look enough like Mickey to pass.

Here's Mickey:

Mickey_Mouse.png

That first mask is actually a pretty good match for his nose and mouth, especially if you wore it with the ear hat.

• Like 1

Disney probably doesn't want *too* close a match, lest some visiting children confuse a ears-and-mask wearer with a cast member. Same reason they're not overly fond of cosplay at the parks, afaik.

9 minutes ago, Caya said:

Disney probably doesn't want *too* close a match, lest some visiting children confuse a ears-and-mask wearer with a cast member. Same reason they're not overly fond of cosplay at the parks, afaik.

The combo wouldn't look *that* much like Mickey to me, without his chubby cheeks.  But to a kid, yeah, could be.  And that's a good point about not wanting visitors to dress like Disney characters, since the costumes are essentially the cast members' "badges."  Do you know whether they actually have a rule against admitting costumed people?  Added:  Yes, they do.  See next post.

Yes, there is indeed such a rule:  "Costumes may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older. Masks may not be worn by Guests 14 years of age or older (unless they are for medical purposes)."  Found it here.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, linear_panda said:

@linear_panda -- I don't see anything in your recent post.  (Does anyone else?)  The forum software does that sometimes, sorry!  Could you try again?

• Thanks 1

@Carol everything's sort of fine I guess

just can't figure out how to attach an image cos when I click 'insert other media' there's just a blank pop-up window 

if any of you guys knows what's going on pls tell me 😩

21 hours ago, linear_panda said:

can't figure out how to attach an image cos when I click 'insert other media' there's just a blank pop-up window

I've never used "insert other media," so I have no idea how that works, but maybe someone else can enlighten both of us!

However -- if the image you want to display exists elsewhere online, you can display it by simply putting its URL into your post -- ON  SECOND  THOUGHT, Artemis has just let us know that method isn't reliable.  So please see a few posts down where I explain using BBCode.

If the image exists only on your computer, you have two choices:  You can first copy it to an image-hosting site such as imgur and then use the image's resulting URL as above; OR you can presumably still embed the image directly in your post -- which may be what "insert other media" means.

I will go see if I can figure that out  ....  Nope, I still have no idea.  It gives me the option of either re-using an image that I've previously embedded, or using an image from a URL.  But I don't offhand see any way to embed a new image.  :blink:   Like I said, hopefully someone else knows how it's done with the current software.

There's always been a limit on embedding images, though, only so-many bytes total per user.  So in general it's best to set up an image-hosting account (unless you already have one).  As I mentioned, imgur.com seems to be a good site.  (I would formerly have recommended PhotoBucket, but for the past few years they've been using blatantly unethical tactics to discourage casual users.)

• Like 1

Did you try the "existing attachment" or the "from url" option? I guess it was the former, you'd have to upload something to the site first for it to show up there.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Caya said:

Did you try the "existing attachment" or the "from url" option? I guess it was the former, you'd have to upload something to the site first for it to show up there.

It looks like the "from url" option is merely a way to insert the URL into the post (which can also be done more directly, as I indicated above).

When I clicked on "existing attachments," it showed me a gallery of images that I'd embedded a few years ago, the idea apparently being that I could re-use one of those.  But I see no way to embed a new image from one's own computer files.  And I no longer see an Embed Image button.  Maybe that option is being phased out?

• Thanks 2

I always use the "Insert image from URL" option (when I'm not using the BBCode), because oftentimes when I paste the link directly into the post, it posts as a link instead of an image.  Since the decline of Photobucket, if I want to post an original image or one I can't find a link to elsewhere online, I now use a Tumblr account to hotlink.  I have no idea about the "existing attachments" option though, sorry.  :bemused:

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Since the decline of Photobucket, if I want to post an original image or one I can't find a link to elsewhere online, I now use a Tumblr account to hotlink.

"Decline" is such a polite word!  :D  

So Tumblr can be used as an image-hosting site?

30 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I always use the "Insert image from URL" option (when I'm not using the BBCode), because oftentimes when I paste the link directly into the post, it posts as a link instead of an image.

Thanks for the tip!  I generally use BBCode, but noticed recently that didn't seem to be necessary -- good to know the shortcut isn't reliable.  (I will edit my prior post accordingly.)

So, @linear_panda -- here's how to use BBCode to insert an image's URL into your post in such a way that it will reliably be displayed as an image (BUT  PLEASE  NOTE that you need to omit the space following each left-bracket:

[ img] image-URL [ /img]

... or you can use the "Insert other media" button, select "from URL," copy the desired URL into the box provided, and click the Insert button.  (I haven't actually tried that last method myself, so please correct me if necessary, Artemis!)

• Like 1

ohh thanks so much everyone 

I went with the url

and I can finally have a profile pic now

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, linear_panda said:

I went with the url

and I can finally have a profile pic now

The past few posts (everything since your previous one) have dealt with the ins and outs of posting images, so for general use, please see those posts.

If you're specifically talking about providing an avatar picture, though, looks like you've already done it.  Cute little critter!  Is that some of your own work?  And is uploading that what was giving you the problems?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

... or you can use the "Insert other media" button, select "from URL," copy the desired URL into the box provided, and click the Insert button.  (I haven't actually tried that last method myself, so please correct me if necessary, Artemis!)

Sounds right to me!

17 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

"Decline" is such a polite word!  :D  

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it, lol.

17 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

So Tumblr can be used as an image-hosting site?

That's not its intended use, but I use it that way anyway, lol.  I find image hosting sites frustrating and unreliable, but I've never had an issue linking from Tumblr.  I made a special account for my own images, and all I do is post the image, right click, and copy the image address/location (different language depending on your browser).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Artemis said:

I find image hosting sites frustrating and unreliable, but I've never had an issue linking from Tumblr.

Which image hosting sites have you tried (other than the much-lamented PhotoBucket)?  Have you ever tried Imgur?