Yes, Imgur, among several others lesser-known I presently forget the names of.  :bemused:  Imgur was alright, but it slowed up my (old) computer significantly and took a long time to navigate, and now and then I've seen people grumble about being unable to view images linked from Imgur.  I don't know why that occurs, but after the Photobucket fiasco, I didn't want to bother with another site where images are mysteriously visible to some people and not to others.  Tumblr is tried and true and on my part, easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use zerochan.net personally.
It is a little kinky but there's no moderation so uploads are pretty much instantaneous.

Would have used wiki cos you can put up literally anything there but I have the amazing luck of possessing an IP address

which matches a blocked user's so yeah that got messed up.

I didn't use Tumblr or any of the more popular image hosting sites cos the art there is seriously high-end and my

fanart is really just for fun soooo yeah I didn't want to embarrass myself  ^_^

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, linear_panda said:

I didn't use Tumblr or any of the more popular image hosting sites cos the art there is seriously high-end and my

That's apparently one advantage of Imgur, you can "post" things, which immediately makes them public (if anyone happens to look at your account, anyhow -- not sure if they show up anywhere else) or you can store them in an album, in which case they're visible to other people only when you hotlink to them.

Artemis, do you know of any way to achieve that effect on Tumblr?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Artemis said:

Imgur was alright, but it slowed up my (old) computer significantly and took a long time to navigate, and now and then I've seen people grumble about being unable to view images linked from Imgur.  I don't know why that occurs, but after the Photobucket fiasco, I didn't want to bother with another site where images are mysteriously visible to some people and not to others.  Tumblr is tried and true and on my part, easy.

Right, I recall that problem with Imgur, a while back.  Don't know whether it got fixed, or if people just don't bother to mention it anymore.  @Van Buren Supernova -- I think you were one of the people that Imgur didn't always work for.  Have you noticed that problem lately?

20 hours ago, linear_panda said:

That's apparently one advantage of Imgur, you can "post" things, which immediately makes them public (if anyone happens to look at your account, anyhow -- not sure if they show up anywhere else) or you can store them in an album, in which case they're visible to other people only when you hotlink to them.

Artemis, do you know of any way to achieve that "private storage" effect on Tumblr?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Artemis, do you know of any way to achieve that "private storage" effect on Tumblr?

I believe there are privacy settings for your account that can be adjusted, but I'm unsure to what extent since I haven't really bothered with them.  Maybe I'll take a look later.  I don't know if you're familiar with Tumblr, but generally your posts are only seen if you have followers who catch and reblog them, or if you tag them and someone finds them in a tag search.  I never tag my posts and I have no followers, so I doubt a single person on Tumblr even knows my page exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Artemis said:

I don't know if you're familiar with Tumblr, but generally your posts are only seen if you have followers who catch and reblog them, or if you tag them and someone finds them in a tag search.

Really?  I had the impression that everybody could see everything -- but come to think of it, my main contact with Tumblr would be #setlock searches.  My account on one of the fanfic sites is set up to be visible only to my friends, and hardly anyone even knows about that account, so it's private and I use it for rough drafts. So I see what you mean.

Can you create subdivisions in a Tumblr account, analogous to the "albums" on Photobucket?  For example, if I tagged all my cat photos with #DabblerCats, would they show up if someone was doing a tag search on cats?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Can you create subdivisions in a Tumblr account, analogous to the "albums" on Photobucket?  For example, if I tagged all my cat photos with #DabblerCats, would they show up if someone was doing a tag search on cats?

Pretty sure it'd show up. Whenever I search for Sherlock fan art on Tumblr basically everything with Sherlock in the name comes up.
Read on the web just now that apparently you can password-protect yr Tumblr blog, not sure if it works with just an image...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I can't be certain (Tumblr's search function is a bit wonky), but if you tag it, I agree with Panda that it potentially could show up in a search.  But that doesn't necessarily mean anyone will see it, because it'd be drowning in a sea of thousands of other #cat photos, lol.  It depends on if it shows up at the top of the search or not, and how long the person wants to keep scrolling through cat photos.  There's a chance though, certainly.  If you really want your photos grouped, without tagging, I suppose you could put them all into one post?  You can add more to a post later too, but I'm not sure what the photo limit per post is.

19 minutes ago, linear_panda said:

Read on the web just now that apparently you can password-protect yr Tumblr blog,

Yep, it looks like you can make a password-protected blog which is only visible to you and whoever you give the password to.  I'm not sure how this would affect hotlinking, though.  You can also make individual posts private:

Make specific posts on your blog private
Choose “post privately” from the post menu when you’re ready to publish. For more on private posts, check out our Private posts article.

More about Tumblr privacy options here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, guys!

Regardless of which photo-hosting site I end up using, it's only for hotlinking, so I wouldn't put anything on it that I'd mind being seen online.  It's just that I'm not sure I'd want other Tumblr members asking me about them -- but I'm probably worrying about something that's not likely to happen anyhow.  I wouldn't post a description there in any case, only on here (or whatever forum or blog I'm using them on).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

It's just that I'm not sure I'd want other Tumblr members asking me about them -- but I'm probably worrying about something that's not likely to happen anyhow.

If it makes you feel any better, I've been on Tumblr for 10 years, and never once has another member talked to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I s'pose it wouldn't hurt to open a Tumblr account and see what I think of it -- before I get all my pictures copied to Imgur.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Right, I recall that problem with Imgur, a while back.  Don't know whether it got fixed, or if people just don't bother to mention it anymore.  @Van Buren Supernova -- I think you were one of the people that Imgur didn't always work for.  Have you noticed that problem lately?

I don't use Imgur since it gave me problems back then (sometimes I can access it, sometimes I can't). Now I'm using postimage.org which I'm happy about since it's very simple, don't require log in, and I can upload couple of pictures easily. I used it mostly to share image like in this forum, not for personal storage.

Before that, I used tinypic, but there are a lot of problems, pop-ups, and your images could change randomly, like for example I posted a picture of a dog, sometimes later I found out it had changed into a picture of a woman.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2020 at 11:46 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Now I'm using postimage.org which I'm happy about since it's very simple, don't require log in, and I can upload couple of pictures easily. I used it mostly to share image like in this forum, not for personal storage.

Thanks!  That's just about all I use my online photo storage for also.  I'm puzzled about postimage not requiring a log-in, though.  Do you mean it'll keep you logged in, or does it recognize you in some other way (IP address, cookies, etc.), or can I go post an obscene photo on your account?

On 7/8/2020 at 11:46 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

Before that, I used tinypic, but there are a lot of problems

I had some photos on tinypic as well.  The main problem these days is that the site no longer exists.

I have another question for you:  In addition to the problems you've had with storing your photos on Imgur, have you had any problems lately with viewing photos that other people have posted there?  Such as some of Caya's, or this one:

qOXMur8m.jpg?1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:40 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm puzzled about postimage not requiring a log-in, though.  Do you mean it'll keep you logged in, or does it recognize you in some other way (IP address, cookies, etc.), or can I go post an obscene photo on your account?

I don't think it bothers to recognize me, it's probably just post and go and the picture will be there forever. You can post obscene photo anonymously (ehm,, why you want to know this :D) but I assume unless you search for it, you have to be the one who put it there to know the uploaded picture code.

Tinypic didn't require log in as well, and I believe I posted picture on Imgur without log-in too. Flickr, on the other hand, requires log-in. I remember it was decent, used to put some artwork hobby pictures (somehow there is a community without needing to join, if you post often enough and they like your work, you can gain...eh.. I don't remember what is the term actually, but they follow to know your updates, I believe it's not follower, this is time before twitter. Eventually I kept seeing same people appear to comment on my work, something like that, chatting up and share stuff. I don't think there is some kind of hashtag as well, but it's been loooong time. But it was a nice constructive place about hobby and you communicate mostly through pictures).

On 7/10/2020 at 12:40 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I have another question for you:  In addition to the problems you've had with storing your photos on Imgur, have you had any problems lately with viewing photos that other people have posted there?  Such as some of Caya's, or this one:

I can see it fine. I think beside the problems I had sometimes ago, now mostly I'm able to see Caya's pictures, which means there is no problem with Imgur as well. But maybe I'm not here often enough lately for enough sample experience.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I assume unless you search for it, you have to be the one who put it there to know the uploaded picture code.

Well, that makes sense.  So postimage would be a good site if you want to post something and then more or less forget about it.  But if, for example, you want to save a photo now so it'll be available to post on a forum later, you'd be better off with a site where you have your own designated area.  Or did I misunderstand you?

30 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

now mostly I'm able to see Caya's pictures, which means there is no problem with Imgur as well. But maybe I'm not here often enough lately for enough sample experience.

Do feel free to visit us more often!  :D

41 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

So postimage would be a good site if you want to post something and then more or less forget about it.

Yes, something like that.

41 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

But if, for example, you want to save a photo now so it'll be available to post on a forum later, you'd be better off with a site where you have your own designated area.  Or did I misunderstand you?

Hmmm... I don't think I need to have 'designated area', perhaps you mean an account or something. 

For me, if I have a photo from internet that I want to keep, or to post on the forum later, I simply save it in my computer or phone and upload it later. Or just a screenshot (which would be stored into certain folder in phone and computer).

Anyway, I don't see the need to have account for any purpose that I have now.

I used to have photobuckets so that I could share a link for friends who wants to see my pictures (event, trip) but I think social media replaces it, you can just put your pictures there, for me, I simply disappear and stop posting anything but my brother used google drive (free) to share his pictures. He would give us link to access (not public).

• Thanks 1

I had a dream where my body exploded and I turned into a thousand spiders last night.

Sorry, kinda off topic there.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I don't think I need to have 'designated area', perhaps you mean an account or something. 

For me, if I have a photo from internet that I want to keep, or to post on the forum later, I simply save it in my computer or phone and upload it later.

Yeah, that's what I meant -- either an account or some other way of being able to find my photos later without having to remember each of their addresses.  (Just call me obsessive-compulsive.)

3 minutes ago, SherLOCKED123 said:

I had a dream where my body exploded and I turned into a thousand spiders last night.

Sorry, kinda off topic there.

Well, this *is* the Dreams thread.  We had a little sidetrack there, but I think we're all better now.

So -- were you no longer you, or were you aware that you had become a thousand spiders?  And are you feeling fragmented in real life these days?

Fragmented? No.

I believe it was because I stepped on a nest of spiders today.

My dreams aren't really that meaningful...

🤣