Last night I dreamt that I couldn't find anywhere quiet to sleep.  I was wandering around with my sleeping bag, looking for an empty room.  But every time I settled down somewhere, other people would start streaming in, and soon I was surrounded by people talking loudly, with no regard for me.

I tossed and turned all night and I've been drowsy all day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Artemis said:

Last night I dreamt that I couldn't find anywhere quiet to sleep.

Was there actually noise in the room?

Yeah.

• Sad 1

Oh wait, did you mean in the room I was physically sleeping in?  No, not more than normal (outside noises, dogs barking, etc.).  I thought you meant in the dream.  Sorry, lol.  I’ve been a bit out of it all week.

• Thanks 1

I dreamt I was pissed at family nagging on me, grabbed a surfing board and headed to the sea. I had zero idea how to surf but I thought I would figure it out, anything but staying.

The 'sea' was brown colored, looked more like river color, and soon I was riding a very high wave. I have no idea what I was doing or how to control it, but I was on top of it, feeling great, happy and weary as it lifted me high without knowing the direction, and then.... I spotted a huge crocodile shape. Waks! I quickly tried to drag myself to the land and climb a crooked big tree, and I did, so did the crocodile. Wait, whattttt.. so I swing like a tarzan to another higher tree.

Too bad I'm not sure what was the ending as I woke up, but there were couple of other people who surfed and they climbed slower than me.

Moral of the story: you don't have to outrun the crocodile, just the climb mates, I guess.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I dreamt I was in China, trying to escape a wrongful arrest.  It was intense.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I dreamt I was in China, trying to escape a wrongful arrest.  It was intense.

What did they say you had done?

I forget.  :bemused:

12 hours ago, Artemis said:

I forget.  :bemused:

That's not much of a defense!   :D

• Haha 2

I had a dream about Doctor Strange.  I kept showing up wherever he was, purely by coincidence, and he kept trying to get away from me, lol.  He thought I was doing it on purpose at first, and he was annoyed to no end.  Eventually, after I got a chance to explain myself a few times, he believed me and started wondering if it might be more than coincidence.  We were about to start searching for a reason why it might be happening, when I woke up.

• Confused 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:27 AM, Artemis said:

I had a dream about Doctor Strange.  I kept showing up wherever he was, purely by coincidence, and he kept trying to get away from me, lol.  He thought I was doing it on purpose at first, and he was annoyed to no end.  Eventually, after I got a chance to explain myself a few times, he believed me and started wondering if it might be more than coincidence.  We were about to start searching for a reason why it might be happening, when I woke up.

Hate it when the dream is a cliff-hanger. If I have time, I normally like to try to 'continue' my dream. It works, but influenced by me trying to steer it to favourable direction. Speaking of cliffhanger..

Couple of weeks ago I dreamt I was brushing my teeth, and apparently I was in a zoo enclosure, Panda to be exact. I know they are dangerous, eventhough they are cute, they are bears. So I frantically tried to climb the wall and managed to get to the top (where the roof is so I couldn't go any higher. This could be some back of the house facility. There were some kind of grill windows on the top, and I hung to it, lifting my lower part of the body as high as possible.

The frigging pandas, unlike their stereotype, one of it was bloody dang athletic, he jumped and tried to grab me, I could feel his paw catching up to me although it's not painfully sharp like it should, but he hung on to me and I could feel the window grill getting shaky with his weight clinging to mine. I shouted for help, and threw my toothbrush to the ground as the attempt to distract the panda (why on earth I was holding on to that while climbing??) but they ignored it.

My ex-colleague from long long time ago, a curator (I worked in zoo before) came and tried to help.... not by doing something useful, but THIS is his logic, he was trying to bait and entice the other panda to grab on the panda that hung on to me, so that the weight of the second panda would pull the first panda down. The thing is, my poor hands and the poor window have to support three of us now! I was pissed but it felt funny too. At this time, I woke up and there was no more spare time to continue my dream.

Anyway, it's a coincidence, I don't always dream being chased by dangerous animals. I dream about everything and anything, but some are so ridiculous I make effort to remember it and (maybe look for that particular ex-coworker for answer to his logic!!)

I dreamt I lived in a near-future post-apocalyptic world where these predatory shadow beings had come to Earth from another dimension.  They killed and ate people, but they could only get you when you were in the shadows, so everyone had to stay in the sunlight as much as possible.  Most towns became ghost towns, but the remaining few populated centers had to be lit at all times, and some people went insane from the constant light exposure.  Scientists in the largest surviving city were working on a detection system for the shadow beings.  Aptly nicknamed "stretchers", they were essentially formless and could grow or shrink to fit any shadow; but their growth capacity was determined by their kill count.  The more people one ate, the longer its shadow could stretch.  And when it stretched, from behind you could vaguely make out the outlines of the people it killed (its most recent kill at the forefront).  But only the legs showed (i.e., you could just barely tell if someone was wearing jeans or something when they died); and only in the dark.  Outside, in daylight or moonlight, they were indistinguishable from the shadows, especially when still and lying in wait.  You might catch a wisp of movement if you looked really hard.  But in dark places where there was no light, they grew darker than dark as they grew in size, and almost oily in appearance, like hot tar.  The smaller they were, the faster they moved.  At one point on a sunny day I was being chased by one the size of a skipping stone, shifting from shadow to shadow insanely fast.

I had started out with a small group of travelling survivors, but we got separated as the shadows started hunting us.  We were looking for something, trying to get somewhere, but I can't remember what or where (the big city, perhaps?).  Every now and then I would come upon a wall map, like in a video game, and I would follow it hoping it would lead me to one of my lost companions or the destination I was trying to reach.  Most of the maps I needed were in dark and dangerous places, like an underground tunnel or subway system, so I was exploring and getting chased a lot, hoping my lantern wouldn't go out.  But even outside in broad daylight I had a hard time staying out of the shadows of trees and buildings and hillsides.

Anyway it was a creepy dream.

16 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

So I frantically tried to climb the wall and managed to get to the top (where the roof is so I couldn't go any higher. This could be some back of the house facility. There were some kind of grill windows on the top, and I hung to it, lifting my lower part of the body as high as possible.

Our house has a few windows that needed some extra protection, so I searched the internet for "security grills" but couldn't find any such thing.  But we knew a fellow who had a metal-working shop, so he made what we needed, though they're kinda clunky.  Then later on I saw an ad for such things, pre-made, and realized that they are spelled "grilles" rather than "grills."

Apparently a "security grill" would be a hibachi with a burglar alarm so no one can steal your hamburgers.  Good ol' English strikes again!

• Haha 1

Woah @Artemis, that seems good enough for movie plot, and one that I might want to catch. Not in current situation though, I will stay clear from cinema for a longggg time.

3 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Then later on I saw an ad for such things, pre-made, and realized that they are spelled "grilles" rather than "grills."

My most pressing question is, are the ones you saw good enough to hold the weight of two adult pandas, and me? Let's count that as three pandas, shall we?

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I will stay clear from cinema for a longggg time.

These days, I find it hard to understand why I was ever willing to sit for two or three hours in the middle of a room packed elbow-to-elbow with strangers of dubious health.  I figure DVDs are nature's way of saying we don't have to do that anymore.

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

are the ones you saw good enough to hold the weight of two adult pandas, and me? Let's count that as three pandas, shall we?

I seriously doubt it (ditto our custom-made ones).  But the windows in question are all close enough to the ground that it wouldn't be an issue.

• Haha 1

I’ll go back to the theater as soon as it reopens without a mask requirement.  I love the ambience of the theater, which is something I can’t get at home.  Plus it’s one of the few things that gives me a reason to be out of the house and something to look forward to.  I don’t usually go when I know it’s going to be crowded anyway, so I rarely end up elbow-to-elbow.  Actually I would love if they kept up the “every other seat empty” socially-distanced seating arrangement.  They won’t of course, but it’d be nice, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

I don’t usually go when I know it’s going to be crowded anyway, so I rarely end up elbow-to-elbow.  Actually I would love if they kept up the “every other seat empty” socially-distanced seating arrangement.  They won’t of course, but it’d be nice, lol.

Yeah, we like matinees, partly because they're generally cheaper, and partly because (especially if we avoid the first week) there's rarely more than a handful of other people there.  Are they even doing matinees right now, though?

44 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Yeah, we like matinees, partly because they're generally cheaper, and partly because (especially if we avoid the first week) there's rarely more than a handful of other people there.  Are they even doing matinees right now, though?

It probably varies by state.  Theaters in my state are entirely shut down.  But they had reopened for a few months in late summer/early fall, and they weren't doing matinees then.  So I'd doubt it.

I'd like to do matinees, but the matinee times at my local theaters keep getting pushed back earlier and earlier in the day.  If I go on a day I'm not working that's okay, but I find I actually prefer to go at night on Mondays or Sundays.  On Monday nights especially there are even fewer people there than during a matinee.  Sometimes I only share a theater room with one or two other people.  Tuesday used to be a great night for that too, but then they started offering "$5 Ticket Tuesday" and Tuesday nights became one of the most crowded times to go.  Wednesdays are hit-or-miss.  But in any case, early week is a good time to avoid crowds at a movie if you don't feel weird about seeing a movie on a work night.

And like you said, it always helps to wait a week or two after the release date to go see a movie.  I rarely go the first week.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

I'd like to do matinees, but the matinee times at my local theaters keep getting pushed back earlier and earlier in the day.  If I go on a day I'm not working that's okay, but I find I actually prefer to go at night on Mondays or Sundays.  On Monday nights especially there are even fewer people there than during a matinee. 

Thanks,  that would never have occurred to me, and I'll keep it in mind.  I believe we qualify for the senior discount now, which basically means matinee prices at any showing.

Oh I love cinema!

And watching movie alone in cinema has become my favorite thing to do, but I'm afraid it will take a looong time before I go back.

I suspect I will retain my Covid habit long after it's gone. Stayed in affected place during Sars and I still retain some of hygiene paranoid ritual until now. This will mess me up.

I don't mind the facemask forever I think, somehow I enjoy the extra anonymity. I wouldn't mind social distancing to continue forever as well, especially in public place. No handshake and hug, of course!! If only this thing is not so annoying, destructive and deadly.

I don't mind the facemask forever

Facemasks were already considered perfectly normal (on an optional basis) in Japan and perhaps some other places, long before Covid.  And people are so used to them now that I can't imagine anyone would give it a second thought if you kept wearing yours even A.C. (though you might want to avoid wearing it into a bank at that point).

Stayed in affected place during Sars and I still retain some of hygiene paranoid ritual until now.

That explains a lot.   :D

On 1/15/2021 at 6:49 AM, Carol the Dabbler said:

And people are so used to them now that I can't imagine anyone would give it a second thought if you kept wearing yours even A.C.

Promise??

Please promise that handshakes and stranger's hug are things from the past too.

24 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Please promise that handshakes and stranger's hug are things from the past too.

Sorry.  I don't understand people who hug strangers.

Handshakes may remain optional, however.  If you see someone revving up for one, just position yourself for an elbow bump instead.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:38 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Handshakes may remain optional, however.  If you see someone revving up for one, just position yourself for an elbow bump instead.

I think for current situation, we reserve a right to push them away hard with ten-foot pole or turn around and run away, no?

23 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think for current situation, we reserve a right to push them away hard with ten-foot pole or turn around and run away, no?

Sounds like a waste of energy to me, considering that if someone attempts to initiate a handshake these days, one is allowed to simply fix them with an icy stare.  Not sure I'd care to lug around a ten-foot pole all the time either.  But hey -- whatever works for you!