What is your favourite scene involving Sherlock and John in series 3? (SPOILERS)

Sherlock The Otter

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I refrigerate them because they go bad in a day or two otherwise.

Now that is really odd.  My home-grown tomatoes will keep at room temp for at least a week or two (unless they're damaged).  But then I actually want them to get ripe ("squishy," as you put it), like a nice ripe plum.  Now you've got me curious -- do you like your plums crunchy too?

On 7/6/2019 at 9:19 AM, Arcadia said:

Hey, I kept them in the refrigerator, can I help it if you were so long in getting here? :P 

I was busy going around annoying other people so that I could collect fresh produces they throw at me. You know, I need more things in salad other than tomatoes.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

Tomatoes in the refrigerator?!  :blink:  Only if they've been cooked.  If they're raw, refrigeration will ruin the flavor -- though admittedly, if you bought them in a supermarket, they didn't have much flavor to start with.

I keep my homegrown tomatoes in a box on an open shelf, so I can keep an eye on them and use the ripest ones first.  (Out of season, I go to the store and buy canned tomatoes, never fresh ones, which are always dreadful.)

I think I have only ever tasted tomatoes in refrigerator. They are there in supermarket, and go right inside my fridge at home.

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

To be honest, I don't really like tomatoes, I just buy them because so many recipes call for them. They all taste the same to me no matter the type or what you do to them. And the less ripe they are, the better … I don't like the squishiness of ripe ones. When I'm at the store, I always pick out the firmest ones. I know, I'm weird. 

And I refrigerate them because they go bad in a day or two otherwise. I'm not one of those people who's willing to run to the store every day to get the freshest produce; if it can't last in my fridge for at least a week, I don't bother buying it. I'm a horrible human being. :D 

Me too. I actually mostly used them to make tomatoes soup, but I do like cherry tomatoes uncooked. 

And same here, weekly grocery buyers, and I keep stuffs in plastic to make it last longer. I can't get rid of my need for plastic eventhough I try to reduce and always reuse them.

GAH.. topic!

Okay, in season 3, I think the underrated scenes involving Sherlock and John are the ones where Sherlock is really really sad of losing John. The ones comes to mind was when he was playing the violin for them and leaving the party, and the way he looks at John when he was about to shoot Magnussen for him. I always try to pretend that T6T is not what it is because I always interpret those scenes in season 3 with deeper sense of meanings.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Now that is really odd.  My home-grown tomatoes will keep at room temp for at least a week or two (unless they're damaged).  But then I actually want them to get ripe ("squishy," as you put it), like a nice ripe plum.  Now you've got me curious -- do you like your plums crunchy too?

Er … not crunchy, no. But slightly firm, yes. Definitely not squishy, I don't think I like any squishy food. (I can't believe we're having this conversation. Mofffftissssss! This is all your fault! :D )

15 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I always try to pretend that T6T is not what it is

And what is it? I'm curious what you  mean by this.

the way he looks at John when he was about to shoot Magnussen for him

Yes, that was one of the moments in HLV that broke my heart. I interpreted that look as Sherlock sort of saying "sorry, John" … I think he expected that his action would, in one way or another, cost him his life. And/or tarnish the image John had of him. Darn that Cumberbatch guy! He almost made me cry!

I keep stuffs in plastic to make it last longer. I can't get rid of my need for plastic eventhough I try to reduce and always reuse them

Yeah, same. Plastic bags almost never get thrown out around here, unless/until something really smelly gets stored in them. Or something rots inside them, like the 1/4th of tomato that I threw out a couple days ago. It was VERY squishy. I guess I should have saved it for Carol. :D 

Is there a (reasonable) alternative to plastic bags for taking garbage to the dump? When I was a kid I'm pretty sure we always used paper grocery bags for the garbage, then put them in the metal can outside, and the garbage truck guys would just empty the can into the truck. But here, since we only live 3-4 minutes from the landfill, we always take our own garbage and skip the (very high) monthly pick up fee. I don't want squishy smelly garbage all over my trunk, so it all goes in plastic bags (and they don't let you just dump the contents of the bag … you have to put the whole bag in the dumpster.) You can't dump cardboard either, it has to go into the recycling shed. Paper leaks. So what's left? And is it affordable?

Our landfill is a rather amazing place. They have special handling for almost everything, from anti-freeze to tree branches. They've won awards! And the workers are really nice. (Well … all but this one guy...) It's weird, but except on really hot days when the smell is overpowering, I rather enjoy visiting it. :smile: A friend of mine even made a series of paintings inspired by the landfill for her final project in college. They gave her a tour. We thought she was nutz but the results were actually kind of cool.

Regarding how to take your garbage to the dump, I would recommend asking one of those nice people who work there.  (I would also recommend composting if your circumstances allow it.)

18 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I think I have only ever tasted tomatoes in refrigerator. They are there in supermarket....

Really?!!!  In American supermarkets (at least the ones I've been in), tomatoes are *always* sitting out on tables like the potatoes and the bananas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Or something rots inside them, like the 1/4th of tomato that I threw out a couple days ago.

But why you'd keep 1/4 of tomatoes?

I know the challenge of cooking for one, but for 1/4 of tomatoes I'd just include it, or maybe you can make something else out of 1/4 of tomatoes, like some condiment? That would make sense, otherwise it wouldn't even satisfying to throw!

Is there a (reasonable) alternative to plastic bags for taking garbage to the dump?

I think you can make compost if you have big garden space for your organic waste. But to answer your actual question, no can't think of any. I also can't think of other option when I purchase meat product, still need a plastic bag to contain them to prevent them from leaking and contaminating other groceries (we are using byo fabric bags now). Maybe eventually I could get those cooler box, specially for meat, but I don't see much purpose since the meats are sold in plastic packagings anyway, that are normally wet and leaking, so I'd need another fruit bag to contain them, and that would eventually contain the waste later.

42 minutes ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Really?!!!  In American supermarkets (at least the ones I've been in), tomatoes are *always* sitting out on tables like the potatoes and the bananas.

Crosspost, but since the forum kicked me out, when re-log-in I got your reply. Yes, I believe there are tomatoes sitting out on the tables as well and I had brought those too. For some reason, the one that I like to buy, which I normally use for soup, and cherry tomatoes for salad, they pack and put it in the chiller.

And what is it? I'm curious what you  mean by this.

What?! By asking this question you practically force me to give up my time collecting tomatoes!

What I said earlier: and the way he looks at John when he was about to shoot Magnussen for him. I always try to pretend that T6T is not what it is because I always interpret those scenes in season 3 with deeper sense of meanings.

Basically I feel T6T needs something more to maintain the consistency of Sherlock's character, especially his growth. Beside TAB, which can be ignored as far as storyline progress, T6T is the first time that I've waited for a Sherlock episode, since I only started watching after HLV had been out for a while. It came with two (?), maybe one or two and half years(?) of analyzing his character and being here, something I find great that I'm invested that much. And I was so convinced that season 4 would provide resolution or aftermath of season 3. I don't want it to stretch unnecessary, but imo, there is potential to make it very impactful, potential to make me hide in the corner of my blanket in fetus position, potential to break my heart in more ways than TRF did that made me come here in the first place.

But that scene, a simple maybe throwaway scene (It's not supposed to be a throwaway though, it's basically the only (?) scene dealing with S3), made me freeze on my seat. Sherlock was smirking, laughing and texting away while Mycroft and gang trying to solve the Magnussen incident. While I'm one of the few who feel fine with S4 (there are things that disappoint me, but I'm way too happy to see Sherlock and John again, and there are things that I love too), this scene, for me, It breaks almost everything I like from HLV. The powerful moment and emotion HLV brought, has been undermined greatly. I don't think even Sherlock before SIP behaves like this. Well, we can see this from various point of views to make sense of it, but to me, the damage is too great there. I want Sherlock to get his comeuppance, not in way that I want to see him in danger, in prison (although I think this could be interesting) but I want the emotional impact on him, and how the character that has gone 3 season development deals with it. Maybe even something very very subtle would do, I don't ask for drama, NO. I'd say Sherlock doesn't feel remorse much about shooting Magnussen, which I can really understand (duck rotten 1/4 tomatoes, fresh tomatoes only, lady!), but there should be impact on him realizing how far he is willing to go to protect John, and the ante was up so high that he was willing to commit murder. That would mess up someone like Sherlock, the defective chemical balance, he has become someone he is trying so hard not to be, and Mycroft from seeing how mess up Sherlock is. But none! None! All we got is disrespectful giggling cartoony Sherlock. Sigh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

I was so convinced that season 4 would provide resolution or aftermath of season 3.

:rofl:

Waiting two years to get the resolution of Reichenbach -- and then getting Empty Hearse -- would have cured you of that expectation.  (I'm not laughing at you, it just sounds so familiar!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

:rofl:

Waiting two years to get the resolution of Reichenbach -- and then getting Empty Hearse -- would have cured you of that expectation.  (I'm not laughing at you, it just sounds so familiar!)

Okay, from all possible reactions, I admit I didn't see this one coming. :P

So, when will I have my chance to laugh at newbies for their expectation???

• Haha 1

I am thinking of growing my own heirloom tomatoes. I love the way the ones with the ridges look.

I bought one in a high end food shop once and it was 4 euro for one tomato! But it made a serious tomato sandwich.

- Sorry my page hadn't refreshed i thought people were still talking about tomatoes 🤣

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bedelia1984 said:

I love the way the ones with the ridges look.

Me too! Mostly I like the taste of them being made into dishes, especially soup. And they are always packed and put in refrigerator/chiller area here.

22 minutes ago, bedelia1984 said:

- Sorry my page hadn't refreshed i thought people were still talking about tomatoes 🤣

Not too worry. XD Once in a while I'd throw something to keep us in topic. And psst.. the moderators are guilty too! Mostly! Psst!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

So, when will I have my chance to laugh at newbies for their expectation???

Sorry, I really wasn't laughing at your expectations, only at the situation that encouraged them.  Those of us who lived through the S2-S3 hiatus know the reactions all too well.  Unfortunately for you, though, I'm not sure that S4 left even the newbies with many expectations.  Well, I guess there's the expectation that the Moftisses really mean it when they say they've finally gotten that story arc out of their collective system, and are now ready to resume producing actual crime-solving episodes.  I'm hoping they really meant that, but -- well, fool me once....

9 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

I am thinking of growing my own heirloom tomatoes. I love the way the ones with the ridges look.

I bought one in a high end food shop once and it was 4 euro for one tomato! But it made a serious tomato sandwich.

I'm growing Cherokee Purple this year (mostly because I wanted only two plants, and the nursery had that variety available in two-packs).  The only other time I grew them, we didn't care for them, but then we had some at a friend's house, and they were utterly delicious.  Turns out I had been letting them get way over-ripe (because the tops stay dark green, so I kept thinking they weren't ripe yet).

9 hours ago, bedelia1984 said:

Sorry my page hadn't refreshed i thought people were still talking about tomatoes 🤣

What VBS said.  It's not like this is a chat room, after all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Sorry, I really wasn't laughing at your expectations, only at the situation that encouraged them.  Those of us who lived through the S2-S3 hiatus know the reactions all too well.

Hey I don't mind being laughed at, as long as it's not in mean spirit. :P

I'm trying to think about why I actually don't mind the Empty Hearse resolution.

One, maybe because I was binging it, I didn't have a lot of time to think and analyze about them. However, even after that, I don't think I have too much objection, except the improbability of physics for the time Sherlock needed to turn himself around which I was nuts enough to think about it.

Two, and I think this is the actual reason. I don't mind TEH because I think it doesn't undermine Sherlock character growth. Yah, I know there is a lot to be said about faking it and all, but even on TEH and for the overall context of Season 3, I make myself believe that it's not the case, he is a different man and has learned a lot. Does it work like that in Season 4? Could be, he is again, a different man and richer in term of life and relationship experience. But even so, that scene in T6T still one of the most disappointing resolution for something so very major, and the fact that it seems that he learns almost nothing from it. Gah.

It's been awhile though, I could be wrong. This could be the reason why I haven't rewatched, the very first few minutes of it keep ruining my mood.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

'm trying to think about why I actually don't mind the Empty Hearse resolution.

And Three, you hadn't waited two years for it, while reading interviews where Moftiss said "You'll be amazed at how he did it!" and "There's a clue that everybody missed!"  And then they never told us how he did it (not for sure, and only the details that we had already figured out, and not explaining things that we had *not* been able to figure out).  And they never told us what clue we had all "missed" (so I'm guessing it was something that had actually been all over the internet within a few weeks, like the squash ball).  So the long-anticipated TEH turned out to be an anti-climax in that sense.

It's an enjoyable enough episode if you can kind of ignore TRF, though.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:59 PM, Van Buren Supernova said:

But why you'd keep 1/4 of tomatoes?

Because I don't like them enough to add the leftover to whatever I'm eating, and because I might need a little more for a different dish the next day.

I think you can make compost if you have big garden space for your organic waste.

We used to do that, but it got to attracting too many unwanted insects and other critters. And then we'd end up not using it. Also I've got too much work out there already; I'm trying to scale down the yardwork, not add new projects!

But that scene, a simple maybe throwaway scene (It's not supposed to be a throwaway though, it's basically the only (?) scene dealing with S3), made me freeze on my seat. Sherlock was smirking, laughing and texting away while Mycroft and gang trying to solve the Magnussen incident. While I'm one of the few who feel fine with S4 (there are things that disappoint me, but I'm way too happy to see Sherlock and John again, and there are things that I love too), this scene, for me, It breaks almost everything I like from HLV. The powerful moment and emotion HLV brought, has been undermined greatly. I don't think even Sherlock before SIP behaves like this. Well, we can see this from various point of views to make sense of it, but to me, the damage is too great there. I want Sherlock to get his comeuppance, not in way that I want to see him in danger, in prison (although I think this could be interesting) but I want the emotional impact on him, and how the character that has gone 3 season development deals with it. Maybe even something very very subtle would do, I don't ask for drama, NO. I'd say Sherlock doesn't feel remorse much about shooting Magnussen, which I can really understand (duck rotten 1/4 tomatoes, fresh tomatoes only, lady!), but there should be impact on him realizing how far he is willing to go to protect John, and the ante was up so high that he was willing to commit murder. That would mess up someone like Sherlock, the defective chemical balance, he has become someone he is trying so hard not to be, and Mycroft from seeing how mess up Sherlock is. But none! None! All we got is disrespectful giggling cartoony Sherlock. Sigh.

Exactly! That's exactly what I felt. There were a lot of things about T6T I didn't appreciate, and that was chief among them. Thank you.

Two, and I think this is the actual reason. I don't mind TEH because I think it doesn't undermine Sherlock character growth. Yah, I know there is a lot to be said about faking it and all, but even on TEH and for the overall context of Season 3, I make myself believe that it's not the case, he is a different man and has learned a lot. Does it work like that in Season 4? Could be, he is again, a different man and richer in term of life and relationship experience. But even so, that scene in T6T still one of the most disappointing resolution for something so very major, and the fact that it seems that he learns almost nothing from it. Gah.

Yep. Same here. TEH undermined the drama of what we thought was happening in TRF, but Sherlock himself suffered some consequences for his deception. But T6T turned HLV into a joke. That episode broke my heart, and then it was treated like it didn't mean anything. As you say … gah.

TLD almost made up for it though. Where he ends up at the end of that episode -more honest, more reflective- is how he should have started S4. 

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Carol the Dabbler said:

I'm growing Cherokee Purple this year (mostly because I wanted only two plants, and the nursery had that variety available in two-packs).  The only other time I grew them, we didn't care for them, but then we had some at a friend's house, and they were utterly delicious.  Turns out I had been letting them get way over-ripe (because the tops stay dark green, so I kept thinking they weren't ripe yet).

Isn't this where this conversation started? :D 

• Like 2