What is your favourite scene involving Sherlock and John in series 3? (SPOILERS)

Sherlock The Otter

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is already a topic, but I'm really curious as to what everyone's favourite scene involving Sherlock and John is in series 3. 

Personally, mine is in The Empty Hearse, when Sherlock appears in the restaurant and surprises John, I think that whole scene is just hilarious! 

looking forward to hear your opinions!

x

• Like 1

Hi Sherlock The Otter, welcome to the forum. Nice avatar, you are very good looking! :) Me, sigh, I am just a shadow of my former self.

Don't worry, if you had duplicate thread, the moderators would put you in straightjacket and throw you inside the padded room..., I meant, they would take care of it. No worries, the most punishment they could give is asking you for a shorter nickname. 😛

As for your questions, if I have to pick one, it's probably the one in Sherlock's kitchen. I love how amazed John was at Sherlock's cluelessness, even after all this time. I love how Sherlock kept not getting it and suggested that Lestrade should be the best man because he is a man and good at it. XD

It's the root of their relationship really. It's nice, warm, weird, funny and tastes surprisingly good 😛

I think that is also one of the reasons of why there are so many of us feel connected to the character. Socially awkward, was mostly portrayed as weirdo, sidekick, villain traits, but with Sherlock, it is endearing, it's alright, it's okay.

So yah, my answer.

If you asked for monologue, I'd call dibs on best man speech. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thank you! Yes the moderators I've spoken to have been very nice, but I'm hoping I don't end up in the padded cell haha 😂

Ah yes, I was going to put that as my favourite, it is really iconic, it's probably my second favourite, especially when he takes a sip of his tea and the eyeball pops up! 

Oh and that dialogue is fantastic also! If you've got that, I'd call dibs on when Sherlock and John are drunk in 221B after their ordeal in the pubs 🤣

x

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 11:35 AM, Sherlock The Otter said:

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is already a topic, but I'm really curious as to what everyone's favourite scene involving Sherlock and John is in series 3. 

Personally, mine is in The Empty Hearse, when Sherlock appears in the restaurant and surprises John, I think that whole scene is just hilarious! 

looking forward to hear your opinions!

x

Welcome! Nice picture.

I think we already have a general favorite scenes thread but not one for Sherlock and John scenes specifically. Well, now we do thanks to you. :-)

Hmmmm... I'll have to think about mine a little. Off the top of my head, it would be their conversation at the end of "The Lying Detective".

• Like 1

That's a good scene, Tobe, but the topic is Series 3 scenes -- so you now have a good excuse to run through those episodes again, using either your memory or a DVD.

That series has a lot of good scenes, so I'll need to think awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 5:41 AM, Sherlock The Otter said:

but I'm hoping I don't end up in the padded cell haha 😂

Even if you do, you'll find majority of us already inside. XDSo there is nothing to be ashamed of.

May I know why you asked for season 3 specifically? Your favorite season?

Because if you asked for season 2, I'd choose the sheet scene in Buckingham Palace, most likely, although I love all TRF as it tugs my heartstring the most. But you see, I have worked very hard (not) to achieve my current status as Pantless in Buckingham Palace and would like to feel represented. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Even if you do, you'll find majority of us already inside. XDSo there is nothing to be ashamed of.

May I know why you asked for season 3 specifically? Your favorite season?

Because if you asked for season 2, I'd choose the sheet scene in Buckingham Palace, most likely, although I love all TRF as it tugs my heartstring the most. But you see, I have worked very hard (not) to achieve my current status as Pantless in Buckingham Palace and would like to feel represented. :rolleyes:

Oh that makes it sound bit better thank you 🤣

Good question! Yes, I think I did choose it because it's my favourite season, and I also feel it has a lot of points for discussion!

The sheet scene is by far one of my most favourite scenes! I think I would choose the scene on Bart's Hospital, where Sherlock is on the phone to John, it always makes me cry, no matter how many times I watch it!

Also, may I ask - What's your favourite season?  😊

x

18 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

Welcome! Nice picture. 

I think we already have a general favorite scenes thread but not one for Sherlock and John scenes specifically. Well, now we do thanks to you. :-)

Thank you!

Oh that's good! I'm glad I've not just recreated an existing thread :lol4:

13 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

That's a good scene, Tobe, but the topic is Series 3 scenes -- so you now have a good excuse to run through those episodes again, using either your memory or a DVD.

That series has a lot of good scenes, so I'll need to think awhile.

Oh, only series 3! Thanks, Carol, I must have missed that part. 

Hmmmm... In that case, I am going to go with the scene where John asks Sherlock to be his best man. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, T.o.b.y said:

Oh, only series 3! Thanks, Carol, I must have missed that part. 

Hmmmm... In that case, I am going to go with the scene where John asks Sherlock to be his best man. 

Ah yes! That is a good scene. Van Buren Supernova chose that one too, it seems to be quite a popular one! 😊

23 hours ago, Sherlock The Otter said:

Yes, I think I did choose it because it's my favourite season, and I also feel it has a lot of points for discussion!

Indeed! I believe His Last Vow's thread has hundreds of pages. Each episode has separate thread and you'll be welcomed to mess with them. 

What do you like the most from season 3; Sherlock coming back, John gets married, season 3 ending or others? Not favorite exactly, but it cracked me up that Sherlock, like us all human, learn stuff from YouTube as well. XD And him feeling sad and thinking that John's wedding is a battle is so human.

My favorite is season 2! Although I'm not crazy about Hounds, but Scandal and Reichenbach are my favorite, but I admit Reichenbach scarred me quite a lot so I'm too chicken to put it in my profile. 🐥

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Indeed! I believe His Last Vow's thread has hundreds of pages. Each episode has separate thread and you'll be welcomed to mess with them. 

What do you like the most from season 3; Sherlock coming back, John gets married, season 3 ending or others? Not favorite exactly, but it cracked me up that Sherlock, like us all human, learn stuff from YouTube as well. XD And him feeling sad and thinking that John's wedding is a battle is so human.

My favorite is season 2! Although I'm not crazy about Hounds, but Scandal and Reichenbach are my favorite, but I admit Reichenbach scarred me quite a lot so I'm too chicken to put it in my profile. 🐥

Oh wow I didn't know that, thank you! I will definitely have a look at those threads! 

I'm not sure what I like the most, I like it all! But if I had to choose I would say Sherlock's mind palace scene, because it shows the pure power of his thoughts, and the fact it all took place in the space of three seconds is remarkable. 

I love series 2, I think its a close second favourite! I really liked Hounds and TRF. I have to agree, whenever I re-watch TRF I can't help but cry, even though I know what's going to happen :lol4:

• Like 1

From S3 there are two scenes that stand out: Lestrade’s reaction to Sherlock’s call for help, with the helicopter hovering so close overhead as to blow the sheet music on the stand, and the part of The speech taken directly from ACD: ‘If I burden myself with a companion in my various little inquiries, it is not done out of sentiment or caprice...’ 

But if we are talking S2, Scandal in Belgravia stands head and shoulders above the pastiche of Hounds and the maudlin TRF. That scene in Mycroft’s house, where Sherlock looks so beaten and then snatched victory from the teeth of complete and utter failure is unbeatable, as is his whole interaction with the American agents mistreating his Mrs Hudson! ‘And exactly how many times did he fall on those bins?’  ‘I forget detective inspector” 

• Like 2

Okay, I've been mulling over this for a few days (by the way …  hello and welcome, Sherlock the Otter! May I call you Otter? :smile: ) …. and I hate to be such a copycat, but I think I'd also have to go with the scene where John asks Sherlock to be his best man, for all the reasons both VBS and Toby mentioned. And its one of those times when John is warm-hearted and sweet, and shows how much he cares about his friend.

And I agree also … if we're looking for monologues, the whole wedding speech is amazing; I almost picked that.

Season 3 is my favorite also, yay! Finally, another one like me! Then I think I like S2 next, S1, and S4, alas, last … even though I do think TLD is probably one of my all time favorite episodes. I'm really not very good at ranking the episodes, I love different things about so many of them.

• Like 2

At first I wanted to choose the scene in His Last Vow where Sherlock wills himself back to life. That whole mind palace sequence after he has been shot is great, imo. But even though John is mentioned there, he isn't really present, so I figured that didn't count.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's probably the main reason I like HLV so much, in spite of my problems with the, er, resolution … that mind palace sequence is just brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 4:51 AM, Inge l-w said:

From S3 there are two scenes that stand out: Lestrade’s reaction to Sherlock’s call for help, with the helicopter hovering so close overhead as to blow the sheet music on the stand..

Love that one too. I guess somehow I understand now about why John didn't invite Lestrade for the .. bachelor party? Lestrade is much closer to Sherlock. From this and bear hug.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:51 AM, Inge l-w said:

But if we are talking S2, Scandal in Belgravia stands head and shoulders above the pastiche of Hounds and the maudlin TRF. That scene in Mycroft’s house, where Sherlock looks so beaten and then snatched victory from the teeth of complete and utter failure is unbeatable, as is his whole interaction with the American agents mistreating his Mrs Hudson! ‘And exactly how many times did he fall on those bins?’  ‘I forget detective inspector” 

And yes! I think the agent's defenestration is my actual favourite scene. I really like angry Sherlock, especially when he is defending the people he cares about. That is why I'd always defend HLV *duck Arcadia's flying tomatoes..

If I remember correctly, there is a part in the book where he almost goes crazy after John is shot. It is subtle, but touching moment when John realize how much Sherlock cares for him despite his cold exterior.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

If I remember correctly, there is a part in the book where he almost goes crazy after John is shot. It is subtle, but touching moment when John realize how much Sherlock cares for him despite his cold exterior.

Yes, that's in Three Garridebs (an otherwise unremarkable story, because it's basically a retelling of The Redheaded League with different details).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now working on a batch of hovering tomatoes. They wait until the moment is right. Bwahahahahaahaaaaaa….

• Haha 1

They might be by the time VBS reappears. 😞 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I kept them in the refrigerator, can I help it if you were so long in getting here? :P 

Tomatoes in the refrigerator?!  :blink:  Only if they've been cooked.  If they're raw, refrigeration will ruin the flavor -- though admittedly, if you bought them in a supermarket, they didn't have much flavor to start with.

I keep my homegrown tomatoes in a box on an open shelf, so I can keep an eye on them and use the ripest ones first.  (Out of season, I go to the store and buy canned tomatoes, never fresh ones, which are always dreadful.)

To be honest, I don't really like tomatoes, I just buy them because so many recipes call for them. They all taste the same to me no matter the type or what you do to them. And the less ripe they are, the better … I don't like the squishiness of ripe ones. When I'm at the store, I always pick out the firmest ones. I know, I'm weird. 

And I refrigerate them because they go bad in a day or two otherwise. I'm not one of those people who's willing to run to the store every day to get the freshest produce; if it can't last in my fridge for at least a week, I don't bother buying it. I'm a horrible human being. :D