Hello

Hello! I just joined up! I started watching Sherlock movies in the early '70's. They were old ones starting Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. I have all the Jeremy Brett DVDs and think he was an awesome SH. The new Sherlock series is very, very good. Not a big fan of the new movies starring Robert Downey Jr., Although I thought Mark Strong was incredible. Thanks for listening. Cheerio!

• Like 1

Hello, Honkytonk -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:

Sounds like you're well versed in Holmes adaptations.  I don't recognize the name Mark Strong, though -- was he in one of the Downey movies?

Yes. I have all of Jeremy Brett, Basil Rathebone and Benjamin Cumberbatch films on DVD. The new Sherlock series adds a very devious twist to some of the classics. Conan Doyle would be proud. I also have the complete works in print, and several other approved newer stories.  Don't have a deerstalker hat, though!😁

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, HerlockSholmes said:

He played Lord Blackwood in the first Downey Jnr movie

I've never understood why people so often refer to him as "Downey Jr."  Yes, his name's Robert Downey Jr., but it's not like his surname is "Downey Jr.," nor are people  likely to confuse him (at least in the context of Ironman or Holmes) with his now-retired father.  Can anyone explain it?  Or is it just a thing?

9 hours ago, Honkytonk said:

The new Sherlock series adds a very devious twist to some of the classics. Conan Doyle would be proud.

Either proud or wouldn't give a damn -- I have no idea.  Doyle would surely be astonished by the current and continued popularity of Holmes, since he thought his legacy would be his historical fiction, not those silly detective stories.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, Honkytonk said:

Don't have a deerstalker hat, though!😁

Slacker! :D Welcome to the forum Honkytonk, glad to have you aboard.

18 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

I've never understood why people so often refer to him as "Downey Jr."

Me either, but I do because everyone else does. :wacko: But I notice he's also often referred to as "RDJ", so the "junior" seems to be an integral part of the moniker.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

he's also often referred to as "RDJ", so the "junior" seems to be an integral part of the moniker.

Yeah, but RDJ is initials of his full name (and I have no quarrel with people using the full name or the initials), whereas just "Downey Jr." is an odd chunk of his name.  The only other case I can think of where someone is commonly referred to as just "Lastname Jr." would be "Bush Jr." -- but that makes sense, considering that otherwise people might not know which President Bush someone was talking about.  While it's true that Downey Sr. was also involved in show business, I'm not aware that he ever played either Holmes or Ironman, so in most of the recent references the "Jr." seems superfluous.

It's almost like "Conan Doyle," where a middle name got tacked onto the last name in common usage.

I don’t know why he uses the Jnr as it’s not like he could get confused with his father (unlike the Bush’s) Apparently it was his dad that introduced him to drugs (marijuana) at the age of six!! Hardly a figure worthy of massive respect? I’m assuming it’s just an affectation like when people (usually in The States) add something like ‘the third’ to their name? It implies that they’re part of a dynasty. Of like Doyle, as Carol mentioned, turning a middle name into a double-barrelled surname.

I should clarify that I'm not questioning why he uses "Robert Downey, Jr." as his professional name.  He couldn't very well have started out as just "Robert Downey," since that was his dad.  There are a number of second-generation performers who use the "Jr." as part of their professional name for that same reason.

What puzzles me is why other people so frequently use "Downey Jr." as a short form of his name (rather than as just "Downey"), as though the "Jr." were part of his last name.  I have no reason to think that was his idea.  And I don't recall hearing any other "Juniors" referred to in that way (other than the aforementioned Bushes).

• 1 month later...

Hi there, My-my!

There was the Jeremy Brett "Adventures", but since that was an hour long I doubt that's the one you're referring to. I wouldn't be surprised to learn I've seen what you're talking about, but I don't remember it specifically. 

15 hours ago, My-my-mycroft said:

I have a deerstalker! I wear it out in public even though I probably look like an idiot.

Picture or it didn't happen! 😛

Welcome mymymy, Mycroft would be happy to have a new fan in the forum, but of course it'd be best to show it with cake, no worries, you can pass it to me, I can do quality check on your cakeS.

58 minutes ago, Van Buren Supernova said:

Mycroft would be happy to have a new fan in the forum, but of course it'd be best to show it with cake, no worries, you can pass it to me, I can do quality check on your cakeS.

How very generous of you, VBS!  :D

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, My-my-mycroft said:

Mycroft licked the fork clean and put it back down on the plate at precisely four o'clock. "I'm sorry, there's nothing but crumbs left. But it was very, very good," he purred.

A picture? OMG it's the middle of summer!

This guy is an impersonator, he is not the real Mycroft. Or he is Mycroft trying to send a secret message, some kind of distress code maybe.

He licks his fork clean, but he left crumbs. And he used fork, which is not ideal for plum pudding. And there is no way you can convince me that he is sorry. :P

• Haha 1

For shame, VBS, you missed the most important clue! He purrs. This Mycroft is, therefore, a cat. So of course he's not sorry. :P 

• Haha 3